Expandables and Fixed Blades

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Steve38, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Steve38

Steve38 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Archers,

I know this question has been asked a dozen or so times but there always seems to be a new variable brought into the equation each time its been asked. Maybe new products have been introduced since last asked. Maybe new rules or regulations have been put in place regarding expandable or fixed blades since last asked. For my question, Im adding "What will your outfitter allow you to shoot". This question is more for those of us who dont have land to hunt on behind our own house but for those of us that have to travel to either someone else's land, another state or an outfitter for every hunt.

When bowhunting whitetail do you prefer an expandable broadhead or fixed blade? Ive been shooting both. I like the expandables, not all, some are hoaky. Jmo. Ive been messing with Grim Reapers and Swhackers lately and really like them due to their simplicity, how fail safe they seem to be and of course how accurate they are. However some outfitters wont allow expandables due to prior hunters not assembling the heads correctly and then failing on the shot. In some circumstances this has forced me back to a fixed blade. A few ive tried (Exodus, Hades, G5) seem to shoot like field points out to 35/40 yrds but you only get a 1 1/8-1 1/4 inch cuts. Not that we havent put down a ton of deer with those heads in the past. Today having the ability to put up to a 2 inch hole in a deer really changes the blood trail and recovery time situation. Again, due to past hunters not using expandables correctly, it has taken away my ability to use them at certain ranches. Do I need to physically show my oufitter that when assemble correctly the couple I have chosen are all but fail safe. The couple Im referring to are the Grim Reapers and Swhackers. I know there are a ton of successful Rage shooters out there among many others but I ive only been able to test these heads so far. My opinion is not Bible, just my opinion and Im curious to know yours...

Happy shooting!!!!

2. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you looked into NAP bloodrunners? I was practicing with them at 60 yards.

I would think if you just show them they function before putting them in your quiver and off to the field it would not matter, but that's logical.

Also, what grain tip are you shooting? G5 has a stricker magnum that is a fixed, 3 blade 1.5 inch diameter cut broadhead. However, be advised that your bow must be tuned to absolute perfection. If so, these heads will fly with your field points.

3. Steve38

Steve38 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The G5's Im shooting are 100 grain Strickers but 1 1/8th. All of the tips Im shooting, fixed and expandable, are 100grain. Ive been switching between 6 total different broadheads, 3 fixed, 3 expandable and Im getting all of them to shoot bulls eye's up 40 yds with zero shot modification from field points. That being said Id like to think my bow is fairly tuned well but im sure could use a little more. Its shooting tight group field points at 50-60 yrds no problem. Im probably close with a broadhead.

4. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use fixed broad heads mostly because are bow hunt for deer and elk are at the same time. I don't care much for expandables on elk. Expandables on deer do great. Anyway that is my experience

5. horsehands

horsehands Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My son shot two deer this year with 100 grain Swackers at twenty yards.Complete pass-throughs at twenty yards in the sweet spot.Let me tell you,the blood trail wasnt good.I shot Killzone Trophys and the blood trails were awesome.Fixed blades such as the Muzzys and G5s are good but I always end up cutting a finger jacking with them.To each his own I guess.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  6. Woody9220

Woody9220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO the NAP bloodrunner is the best expandable out there. They are essentially fail safe. Even if they don't open they still work like a fixed blade

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Red wine or white? Depends on what is for dinner.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer expandables. I have been using Rage since they hit the market and I have had great success with them. I used the NAP Killzone broad heads at the end of last year in and they work really well. Try a few and see what works best for you.