Making Biodiesel

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Dan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody here doing it?

2. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only after I eat Chipotle.

3. jlucas1991

jlucas1991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    not yet but i might be looking into within the next couple months

4. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's a guy around here that makes it to run in his 2006ish Cummins, and he seems to like it pretty well. That's all I know though

5. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lol:

6. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's biohazard. Similar, butt different.

7. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard mixed results on the bio diesel on how It performs.

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I read up on it several years back-easy to find materials/directions on the interweb. Filtering and separating out the water and glycerin seems to be key parts along with the right ratios in the recipe.

The other piece that keeps coming up is some mods to the vehicle/engine may be needed--hoses were one thing if I recall.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dan, my good friend has done it for years. If you are interested I am sure I could get him to e-mail his system. He probably has it all mapped out on the computer. He told me for many years that he was paying maybe 25% per gallon of gas after it was all said and done.

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Such as?

What I've read is a drop of about 8-10% in the MPG and about 5% in the HP.

I would most likely buy a ready to use kit. Though, I have done a little reading on the appleseed systems that you can make yourself. But, making things like this isn't really my gig.

Like you mentioned, the biggest thing is getting the glycerin, water and other contaminants out. If done right, it sounds like an easy process to do and make quality fuel.

I have a 2010 Duramax, so I wouldn't have to change anything.

I am pretty sure I have a source for used cooking oil, which is the hardest part for most people. I can get it from our grocery stores deli departments, as I believe its just recycled. Our 10 stores should be able to provide more than enough oil. With the free (minus cost to pick it up) oil, I looks like I can make the diesel for about $0.70-$1.00 per gallon. Right now I'm paying about $4.10 per gallon. With a savings of at least $3.00 per gallon, the system would pay for itself in less than a year.

11. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    If he has it on his computer and its not a hassle, that would be awesome Brett. My biggest thing is finding a system to make it. There are a lot of different kits available, but I also don't want to over pay for one.

Thanks man!

12. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So my question is, just by going off the few posts here as my base for info; if you're saving 25% yet losing 10% mpg, you're only going to be 15% more efficient? To me it doesn't seem that is enough savings to really make it worth while, especially when taking into account start up cost and possible additional mainenance that may be needed not covered under warranty. But again, I'm just using oberservations from the few posts here.

Edit- look's like I read VS post incorrectly, his buddy was paying 25% per gallon, not saving 25%., making it more efficient than I thought.

Also look into liquified natural gas, it seems there could be a large shift from diesel to this form of fuel in the future. Chevy is already manufacturing some fleet level orders of Silvarado's to run of LNG. Food for throught.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2013/03/130318-natural-gas-truck-stops/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  13. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dan, here is a link to what looks like a pretty good forum on the subject. I found it using Google because I am smarter than you.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/719605551

Like you said, diesels can and will drop panties... If your exhaust smells like doughnuts, though, it might not be to the effect you are hoping for:wave:

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You'll have to reread those few posts, as its a 75%+ savings in fuel costs.

Say I burn 1500 gallons of dino diesel per year at $4.10/gal and I pay about $6150.
    Add 10% to that and I burn 1650 gallons of biodiesel per year at $1.00/gal and I pay about $1650.
    That's a savings of $4500 per year in fuel costs.
    The systems I'm looking at run from $3000-4500. It would pay for itself in a year, at the most. Plus, I can blend 20% bio in my tractor, saving myself even more.

15. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You would be smarter than me, if I hadn't already been to that forum. I was just seeing if anyone here had any experience with the bio.

There's only one set of panties I need to worry about dropping and there's no problem there. :D

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Quote of the day. :lmao:

17. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    On the newer diesels that use Urea (DEF) some models are having troubles. No way I would use It In my 2012 Mack.

18. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of problems? I can't find any info relating to Biodiesel and the DEF engines having problems.

Have you researched it at all Steve, or have you just heard of people having problems?

19. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a couple of buddies that make it, and I've run it in my truck some.

It runs pretty good in my 2004 Dodge, not a whole lot of noticeable power loss, and as bad as ULSD is, not much efficiency loss (I lost about 4mpg when they switched to ULSD)

It takes anywhere from 2-4 hours for them to make a batch from what I've watched and helped. They both said that the first few batches took all day to do.

It WILL freeze when it gets cold out, so be sure to add anti-gel when the temps start to dip.

I didn't, and my fuel was frozen for 3 days (that was an embarrassing call to work to explain why I wasn't there on time)

I seem to get the best power and efficiency with B20. There are some biodiesel stations around here, and that has done well. My truck is noticeably quieter and has a little more oomph. It also adds back a good bit of lubricity.

One downside that is reported, is because it is a bit more solvent, some stuff will get clogged by broken loose crud in the lines (fuel filters, injectors, etc). I did not experience this, but maybe I am just lucky.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure - Mark Twain

20. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    This right here Dan quoted from Gummie bear.

On the newer diesels Dan (at least on my Mack) there's a filter for the truck to do a regeneration. These filters have gotten clogged on a few models. Fuel mileage has also went down a tad. When your putting on 250+ miles a day fuel mileage Is VERY Important. Just 1 mpg drop In mileage per day can result In about 500 dollars a month more In diesel expense hence why I haven't went the bio diesel route yet.

I'm around about 15 other owner operators and this Is what I'm told about bio diesel. I'm going by what they say.