String loop or not ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ronnielkier, Mar 4, 2013.

1. ronnielkier

ronnielkier Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Accuracy :: string loop or no string loop?
    Accuracy :: single hook or fully enclosed release???
    This forum seems to be the best at getting good & tried-n-true accurate info. Just wandering what's the thought on loops and types of releases hear @ The Forum??

Sent from my DROID RAZR

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just had a thread asking the same question about a month or so back. Search the forums sure you will fine it.

Yes D loop!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    D loop: another vote for yes

Release: I don't have a single hook style, but I have two different fully enclosed releases. On one, both jaws move, and on the other, one moves and one is fixed. I've heard different things about which of the two is more accurate, but I honesty can't tell a difference.

4. ronnielkier

ronnielkier Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I found that old thread it was back on August 012 cool!
    Well as I thought the loop is the way I'll be going, honestly I'm just trying to do everything I can to lengthen my 26.5" DL
    a 1/2" is certainly not worth damaging the string...
    Well then let's talk Accuracy verses the type of release : single hook or fully enclosed???

Sent from my DROID RAZR

5. ib_reel

ib_reel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    D Loop = Yes ..... Thumb release = best accuracy

6. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the idea of the fully enclosed jaws better, it just seems more accurate in my mind. Of course, I have never used anything other than fully enclosed jaws, so I could be wrong.

7. ronnielkier

ronnielkier Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What type of thumb release do you shoot sir? And why do you prefer them? Sorry so many Qs, I'm considering changing to a thumb release for a more comfortable anchoring point...

I SHOT IT WITH MY P.S.E. HAMMER!

8. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Tru Ball T handle release. I switched because I was tired of having the release banging around in stuff while I was hunting, and it is more comfortable for me. Also, it feels more comfortable for me to get a solid anchor with the thumb release

9. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried the true fire hardcore? Its a single hook....very nice Imo.

10. ronnielkier

ronnielkier Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did try the hard core at cabelas only ,I really liked it but it shortens my draw length about 3/4" and with my DL only being 26.5" I just can't afford to loose any DL!
    With the T handle type thumb release I was able to comfortably hold and anchor a 27" DL bow on its back wall... I actually gained a 1/2" , so I think I'm gonna give a thumb release T handle type a go!
    I would like to hear more on likes and dislikes though and thanks to everyone who's posted a response!

11. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    no problem. How you liking your Hammer?

12. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    D loop is the way to go, release depends on you an what your comfortable with

13. ronnielkier

ronnielkier Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Actually I don't have my hands on it yet LOL! I'm expecting it any day though. I've had my pse x- force dream season since 2008 and I really like it :winners choice string& cables, 26.5 DL @80# , QAD fallaway, 485grain FMJ @275 fps top pin =30 yds.
    My Hammer will be set up basically the same, hopefully with my release type change ( 27" DL hopefully) and a420 grain carbon force radial x weave arrow set up I'll be able to have a 35+ yard top pin! My goal is 40 on the top pin, not sure how realistic that is though???

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  14. ronnielkier

ronnielkier Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bootlegger, I just viewed your profile.
    I'm in Bristol, Tn. , I hunted Oak Ridge last season. Do you hunt there much? I could've shot a couple does and had a little 4 pt. Bed down 10 yards from my tree. I had a shot on a little 7 pt but I was trophy hunting. I did see some nice deer at the check station though! uploadfromtaptalk1363190246784.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1363190350857.jpg

15. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    Nice...those are big bucks for around here. No I don't hunt over there any. Its just 45 minutes from me. I own a 101 acres where i live. I hunt 80% of the time here...then on a lease I have in Morgan County. I also hunt in Smith county some during Bow season. I'm a PSE and Hoyt guy...I'm thinking about getting the Hammer here soon. That or the Hoyt Spyder 30.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  16. ronnielkier

ronnielkier Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got back from my pro shop and he called PSE on my Hammer , they said now it's projected to the end of the month, so I asked if it we're too late to make a color change? I'm now getting my HAMMER in Skullworks® Camo on the limbs and riser !! Pushing it very close on turkey season... I now wish I had a backup bow!

17. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    Nice...The Hammer will be my second bow soon. I shot a lot of bows...love my Brute. I know it wasn't the most expensive....but with X tech limbs, Madness Pro cam....sure is smooth.

18. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a double jaw release thats about 15 yrs old, A cobra don't know the model, but I don't have to worry about punching the trigger cause it has a really light trigger, and its the type where it l locks open or closed and stays till you move the trigger back and forth, think its a single caliper design. But if your trying to get as much draw lenght as you can I would no use a loop, sure the serving will wear, but if you shoot enough your going to have to replace it sooner or later due to the wear the arrows' nock constantly coming on and off again and again.

19. ronnielkier

ronnielkier Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your response , I believe my initial set up on my New Hammer I'm gonna go no loop and the True Fire Edge T handle thumb release to try and get an extra 1/2-3/4" on draw length , if I can keep good form alignment with my release arm and elbow.

Does anyone know if the approx 3/4" more draw length will be a + in speed over the added weight of the brass knocks less the weight of the D loop?
    I'm thinking overall I'll be adding approximately +7 grains to the string with the addition of the brass knocks??
    So I'd be 80# , 27.25" DL and 435 grain arrow . Lol I need an archery calculations app!

20. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I loop with a double caliber. Sensitivity and length adjustment are keys for me. I am due for a new one and looking to stick with True Fire. Really interested in the single caliber Hardcore.