Haven't nocked an arrow since Boy Scouts!

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by burnoutboy, Mar 2, 2013.

1. burnoutboy

burnoutboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So why in the heck am I trying to get back into archery? Simply put, I wanna hunt whitetail!

The wonderful (sarcasm) state of MD has deemed that I may never own a firearm because of an arrest while I was camping on watershed property. I had a switchblade in my pocket. There's nothing more to the story LOl. They hit me with concealed deadly automatic weapon. I was tried and found guilty.

Thusly, I thought I'd never get to take my first whitetail. I was pretty sure I was out of luck as far as ever getting to feel the rush of having a deer sighted in, focusing on my breathing and waiting for the right moment to squeeze the trigger (whether it be on a rifle or a wrist release) But the worst blow was I figured I was out of luck as far as ever being able to go target shooting with my son as my father had with me or ever taking my boy (or my little girl!) hunting for the first time. Then it hit me while watching The Walking Dead of all shows (thanks Darryl). BOW HUNT! If it was good enough for my ancestors to take buffalo with 150 years ago I'm sure with modern technology I can manage a deer LOL.

BUT, I have no idea where to start. I've looked into crossbows and compunds but have very little idea of what I'm actually looking at. I think I'd be accurate with a crossbow fairly quickly as I was always good with rifles and handguns. I understand they're different, but the concept remains. However I'm finding myself being romanced by the skill it takes to hunt with a compound. If I'm taking an animals life whether it be to feed my family or for sport I feel like I should have to work for it and earn it.

Opinions or ideas anyone?

As far as my "bio" goes, I'm 30 and married with two great kids. My son will be four in May and my daughter will be one a little less than a week later. My wife and I have been married for 10 years. We live in Baltimore County Maryland (over run with white tail like most of MD) I grew up in the Scouts. Always enjoyed the outdoors. I'm a big fan of camping and fishing. What really gets me going is anything with a motor that goes FAST lol. I like to think I'm nice LOL. I am however a sarcastic *** at times LOL. Any other question just ask em. I'm a pretty open guy.

2. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome, ya picked a good forum! I personally will never own a crossbow, not my style. Compounds take skill, patience, and some steady hamds too do. depends on what you are going for, go to a shop an shoot see what ya like and go from there.

3. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! I prefer the compound or even traditional to the cross bow, but hunt with what you like.

4. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome aboard! Good luck

5. burnoutboy

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the welcome! I may one day purchase a crossbow but I'm all but set on a compound at this point. I get American Hunter magazine and I've seen some good articles on choosing the right bow for you. Just gotta take the time to find a good shop near me and try some out. When it comes to going somewhere and trying bows out would you guys recommend a small shop over a big chain like ****s? ****s has an archery range right?

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! I would definitely recommend a small pro shop over ****s or any stores like that.

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site!

Generally I'd say small shop over big box, but it's not always the case.

Here's a couple handy links for you getting started...
    http://www.bowhunting.com/publisher/bowhunting-knowledge/2008/9/9/understanding-compound-bows
    http://www.bowhunting.com/publisher/bowhunting-knowledge/2008/9/9/bow-selection
    http://www.bowhunting.com/publisher/bowhunting-knowledge/2012/6/4/what-bow-accessories-to-purchase

Be sure to check out other blogs and videos on the site.

... and of course, keep asking questions on the forums :tu:

8. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site. What part of MD are you from? I may be able to recommend a shop

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

9. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up a bow last year and haven't put it down yet. Shot my first deer couple months ago. I unlike you am a real ex con but I'm a changed man :) so bow is my only option and I love it, don't even think I'd gun hunt if I could :) grab a cheap compound and jump in man !!!

10. mathews

mathews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck and welcome to the site!

11. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site and this great sport! Take your time trying out bows and really get a feel for what you like. Don't take the opinion of the shop owner as fact or any of the the regulars at the shop. Visit a few places so you get to experience several bow manufacturers. No one bow is right for everyone and although most have loyalties to certain brands the fact is that what I like you might hate. After you get a chance to shoot a few you will know which one feels best. Then get it all setup and practice like crazy!!!!!

12. xtreme16

xtreme16 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome aboard!

13. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome, lots of good info and people here, enjoy

14. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site and the addiction of bowhunting. Take your time and do it right, you'll enjoy it.

15. burnoutboy

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Owings Mills, if the shop you're recommending is in Carroll I'm all about it. I'd think I'd get better advice from the Carroll county folks anyway LOL.

That's the plan. Looking to get GOOD before I start hunting with it. I got no problm drilling a deer dead with a pass through lung or heart shot but I'd HATE to inflict a non-lethal wound and not be able to find the deer and put it out of it's pain.

I try to take that route with all my hobbies and endeavors LOL. Do it right the first time and save the $$ and pain of doing it again later when you realize what the corners you cut are costing.

16. burnoutboy

Dislikes Received:
    So far I'm looking for a compound with a shaft to shaft length between 31" and 34", a draw length that is adjustable to at least from 31" (is a draw length of 30" a good place to start for a 6'2" 230lb guy?), a draw weigh of 60-70 lbs, brace height righ around 7", and I'd prefer it be 4lb or less. I don't know enought to care whether it's split limb or not but I do like the more parallel limb designs that help with recoil.

I'm currently looking at the Diamond Archery Core R.A.K., Diamond Archery Outlaw (oh the irony) R.A.K., Bear Archery Legion, and the P.S.E. Archery Brute X. I was also pointed to the Martin Archery Bangal but it seems to be an older model and I can't find any decent combo's that include it.

Sodo you guys have any other bows in the $400-$650 price range that fits those specs I should shoot before making a purchase? How about any hints or tips that may make me modify the specs I'm looking for?

17. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Yessir that's right :beer: Check out Bow Hunter Den in Westminster. It's ran by Shane Fitzgerald great pro shop ! Tellem Finny sent ya

18. burnoutboy

Dislikes Received:
    Will do that! My names Chester BTW. Maybe I'll see ya around sometime.

19. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Alright brother I'm in owings mills @ least 36 hrs a week an even more during hunting season.

20. burnoutboy

Dislikes Received:
    Their website only has Martin on it. Do they carry other brands as well. I've got it down to 5 bows I'd like to try based on dimensions and specs. I'm ideally looking for a range/shop that has Martin, PSE, Diamond, and Bear. ****s has all 4 but no range. The Bow Hunters Den seems to have a range but only one of thebrands I want to shoot. Dilemas, dilemas...