The "New" Hunter? Thoughts on this piece?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I might be the 5%, but I like it.

2. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's funny people are getting so heated over a video, it's comical that an internet forum could potentially ruin somebodys day.

3. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    The guy hunts hard, enjoys what he does, and wants to share his perspective with others.....I don't see anything wrong. Did he ever say anything about "getting into others business", private hunting leases costing millions, only shooting bows that shoot 5000 fps, or anything else? NO.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow........lol....didn't think this thread would get these reactions.

I think the guy's a tool, but if he's having fun, can sell it, and make a good living with it.............good for him.

I prefer to enjoy my hunting, I tend to burn out when I go full throttle with an interest of mine and the level of intensity he brings would quickly make me lose interest. I've taken many of my "hobbies" with 100% focus and dedication and it quickly becomes not fun for me, hunting is the one thing I refuse to do this with. That doesn't mean I won't work hard at hunting, get up early, hike further than other people, etc.........but I'm not going to sacrifice the fun parts to try and be better than everyone else at any cost.

5. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty sure this is not a guy that many would welcome into their camp, being self centered is not a quality that I look for in a friend or hunting partner.
    The man is focused and driven which are not bad things its just that I hunt for so much more, as I hope is true with most of you.

6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another narcissist making a 'hunting' video. Yawn....

7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:

Who said he is sacrificing the fun parts or is getting burned out? He is definitely marketing Under Armour products and is the kind of guy they would like to sponsor to get their product the final push it needs to root it in the hunting industry. Maybe it is just me, but other than him talking about his "tough" upbringing, I don't see where he is self centered.

8. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My two melons...

About the video: I think it was brilliantly produced. Bravo to Shockey.

About Cam Hanes: He's a dude.. dudes brag. Personally I think he's heavy on the vain side of maleness.. as I don't post hundreds of pics of myself everyday like he typically does. Dude actually posted so many on facebook that I had to "unlike" him.. and I'm going to do Flores next if I see one more picture of him working out. Seriously.. who cares?

Cam Hanes seems like the kind of dude who loves attention.. probably likes a big show when he walks into a room. I myself enjoy a quiet entrance with an even quieter exit.. but that doesn't make either one of us a bad dude.. it's just a personality thing... and some weren't loved as children (that's a joke people).

About the image of hunting: I think several in this thread are taking the "image of hunting" point Cam makes in the video too seriously. I think Cam's point is more that his lasting image left upon those who know.. have met.. or follow him is that of the guy he portrays.. so when those people think hunter they think of how Cam is in that image. He even mentions his hometown.. it's clear he wants to make a point to them (whom I'm guessing were a reflection of the hunter he doesn't want to be).

It's like my family.. about 150 strong and I'm the only hunter. The image of a hunter left upon my family is not fat.. overweight.. sloppy.. or vain.. it's Mike. The dude who quietly enters the room.. never mentions a word about hunting until asked.. a passionate conservationist.. and a funny and sometimes even charming dude. They have that image because I am the hunter they know.. it doesn't matter if every hunter on earth were fat.. or lazy... because to them.. I am the image of a hunter. I'm who they know.

It's the same with Cam.. people who don't know him or of him aren't going to change that image of what they believe a hunter is because how would they know he existed? He's just another dude making a video on youtube.

The image of a hunter is the reflection you portray to those people you know.. and those people that know you.

Cam just doesn't want the image to be Babe Winkleman to his who are in his world.. he wants it to be him.. and apparently every vain in his body.

And if the dude is aiming to change that image to those who know him.. then even through all the vanity shines a cloud of passion.. something that very few people have in this world.

I thought it was a good video up until the Under Armor shot.. seriously.. that stuff sucks.

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure Brett, I certainly didn't. What I said is that I would sacrifice the fun parts or get burned out doing that. My first line I actually said if he's having fun, can sell it, and make a good living with it.......good for him. Just not my cup of tea and not really the first guy I would think of if I were to invite a celebrity to hunt at my camp.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  10. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because the orignal poster asked us what we thought!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. jlucas1991

jlucas1991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    seriously? everyone is so critical. He is sponsored by under armor so there is obviously going to be some business agenda in a lot of what he does. IMO he is the man. I think his message is more along the lines of pushing the boundaries and experiencing the best of the outdoors. The truth is too many hunters are content with the easy route, and there is nothing wrong with that, but there is so much more out there to be experienced and that won't happen unless you are physically prepared. He grew up doing this and knows what it takes to be successful in this terrain.

12. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100% There will always be haters. Let them hate. They could be using that energy for something positive in their lives, but choose to rag on others for their accomplishments, rather than going out and accomplishing something themselves. This isn't aimed at anyone in particular. I don't know any of you well enough to know if you fit this description or not. I do know that there are many out in the world who do.

13. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sure thing GregH, and all the guys talking trash on this guy for his video are so mature right? Go **** yourself buddy

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dude, either you grow up and stop with the name calling, or take a hike. The way you have been running your mouth lately is getting extremely old. This is your one and only warning.

15. NY/Al

NY/Al Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well it does seem like hes tooting his own horn quite a bit, i get what hes saying...kinda. Obviously most non-hunters view hunters as fat, beer drinking, rednecks, and they are right, and theres nothing wrong with that. I do however think that what hes trying to say is that if your fitness level comes up then you will be a better hunter, and he is correct. Before I joined the marines i was a tubby 230, now im a solid 200. Ive found that walking the trails, climbing the mountains, even dragging the deer is a lot more enjoyable when your not grasping for every bit of oxygen you can get. Basically being in good shape just makes my time in the woods a lot more enjoyable. I do think he is coming off way too cocky, but i get what hes saying.

16. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's people like you who ruin all enjoyment and practicality of this site.

17. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't call anyone names, told him to go **** himself. Go ahead and use your little powers Dan, to hell with this forum

18. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your wish is my command. Take a little timeout and see if you change your mind.

Thanks for serving our country.

19. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    WOW, I cant believe where this thread went. Time to end it guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.