The "New" Hunter? Thoughts on this piece?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidmil

davidmil Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Self promotion all the way. Full of crap.

2. Justin Hushbeck

Justin Hushbeck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No. Please God, no. If I walk into a Cabela's and see a hipster in his Tom's and dark rimmed glasses with no lenses trying out a bow, I'm going to quit lol.

3. davidmil

Dislikes Received:
    I don't hate on him. I actually like his shows. Show me his 40 hour a week job. It doesn't exist like a 40 hour a week job. He's a TV celebrity and hunting show host.... That's his job. I just say this video is bullcrap self promotion... nothing less.... nothing more.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously David, you need to get some facts straight before going off on a drunken rant. Cam does indeed have a normal job. I don't know exactly what he does, but I believe it's sales of some sort. Also, he does not host a hunting show. He has been on a couple as a guest, but he does not have his own show.

5. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In the beginning if the video, I thought I was gonna see a guy open a small storage unit, a few stands hung on the walls and various gear scattered about.

Next shot, a Subaru pulls up to a public access point. The guy THEN hikes like crazy.....working hard than the stereotypical hunter.....

That's the show I wanna watch.

6. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never seen the fit fellow in the video. I don't desire to watch his show, but respect his angle .

7. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Water utility sales.. I think. The only thing he does, that I know of, is write for Extreme Elk Magazine.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

8. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bet if killing on film for money didn't exist, these type of guys wouldn't either.

9. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I completely disagree with this ridiculous statement. If you're relating to the hard core DIY hunter that goes to the extreme there are hundreds that do it for the single purpose to achieve success. If you're talking about a hunter who is a bit self absorbed and wants to impress his fellow hunter with his accomplishments, hundreds of those without shows. I don't get it, with a few exceptions these guys weren't born into the positions they're in today, they worked hard and sacrificed to reach a goal they set. That deserves respect not a bunch of jealous hatred.

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Just to clarify, this was a promotional piece put together for a POSSIBLE show in 2014. Currently, he does not have a TV show.

I suppose I'll weigh in.

I think it was a self serving video. With some positive aspects.

As was said by a few on here, he's not really addressing your stand hunters. He's addressing the physical, backcountry, burn up a pair of hunting boots in a season type hunter. Since this isn't the stereotypical hunter, THAT part misses the mark.

However, I think more people, not just hunters, need to focus more on fitness and a healthy lifestyle. You could also argue that more drive, not to his level necessarily, wouldn't be a bad thing. Look at how many wounded threads pop up here EVERY season. Guys hit deer. Guy wounds deer. Guy comes on here and blames equipment. Or worse yet, they come on here saying they looked "everywhere" for a few hours. I'm sorry, but I think too many hunters treat the act of taking an animals life as serious as they do a game of golf after not playing for years.

All in all, I have a ton of respect for the guy, but I'm not really into the self promotion.

11. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt watch the clip, but I saw smaller ad somewhere else.

I'm a fan of Cam Hanes, for the places he hunts & hte way he wants to hunt, you can't be in too good of shape. THat's how it is out west. Can you hunt in lesser shape, yes, but the more fit you are can allow you to do more things, hunt more places and get more opportunities.

Do I think it relates to most hunter or should it, no, not at all.

While on the topic of changing the view of hte sterio typical hunter, I am all for that. I generally loathe the stereotypical hunter (especially the PA ones) But to make them into health/fitness nuts...eh, there is a much more constructive makeover direction they need to go.

12. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a novel idea....if you don't like how someone else hunts or trains, how about you just shut the **** up and hunt your own way. God forbid a guy pushes himself to the limits and you fat mother****ers have to talk **** about how the guy made a video working out. It's a background piece on what got him started and what inspires him. For ****'s sake, this website is really starting to suck. Bunch of whiners and fake people

13. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What an infantile post. Please take your ball and go play somewhere else.

14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, this thread was a lot of fun to read. I guess we know that the profanity filter is working quite nicely.

Even if the video is purely self-promotion, we all have the option of turning it off. I think its an interesting concept and look for any type of inspiration to get myself in better shape. He may be on to something here. If not, who really cares.

15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely. I try to keep an open mind as much as possible, and I can see both sides which is why I posted it. I was curious what others would think.

16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I think the video is great, and I love what Cam is doing. As others have said - he hunts out West in the mountains and in a manner that most of us don't hunt. I think it's cool to see him trying to redefine the way the general public perceives hunters. Let's face it - most people think we're beer-guzzling redneck fatasses who shoot anything that moves. And let's face another fact - there's plenty of slob hunters out there who fit that description pretty well.

Do I think it's self-serving? Is that a real question? Isn't every video ever produced? We live in a world where we all have HD videocameras built into our phones that publish content to Facebook, YouTube, etc with the click of a button. Our entire society is self-serving. How is anyone shocked by this?

The guy isn't out saying "You need to train like this and hunt like this of you're not a real hunter". He's just showing the story of his life - how he trains, how he hunts and what he enjoys doing. It's a different take and something that's been done pretty much the same since forever.

Good for him. :tu:

17. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One, or more of the Kardashion's is all it would take to make this a "Must see" for the whole hunting vedio world!

18. davidmil

Dislikes Received:
    So you don't know what he does either. I say he's a TV celeb and travels the world hunting for months every fall. Doesn't leave time for a "NORMAL 40 hour job" does it? Seriously Dan, you need to get some facts straight before going off on a rant and telling people they don't know what they're talking about or drinking about. LOL I googled him and read his story. No where does it mention a 40 hour job. It mentions him preparing or hunting 365 days a year. It mentions his travels around the world to hunt. It mentions his filming and writing about hunting. No 40 hour job.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  19. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After reading the comments and knowing that this is possibly a trailer for an upcoming show, I don't think it is self-serving at all. I think a lot of the slob hunters that Justin referred to could get something positive out of watching this guy. Many of us on here are in good shape and enjoy working out and eating right. Just look at how many responses one of those workout or weight loss threads receive. I think this guy is just taking a lot of what we do on a day to day basis and gearing it towards the outdoors.

20. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Although quite opposite in tact, I think both are great posts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.