What are the odds?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bauer6, Feb 8, 2013.

1. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In this video the guys shoot them selfs a 4 pointer and when they gutted him they found a broken off arrow in him with the broad head crazy just though I would share it. Any one else run into something like this ever?

http://youtu.be/OGw4E63Ytyc

2. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    About 30 years ago I shot a buck with my gun. It had a 12" piece of a wooden arrow and a Bear Razor BH in it. It was shot from the rear along the spine. It was severely infected with about a 2-3" area all along it. We though it must have been there more than one fall. We found a few deer with 22 bullets in them about the same time.

3. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get it why would anyone even attempt to shot a deer with a .22? Just stupidty to bad you couldn't have caught those fools.

4. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty nuts to think they can still live so long after somethin like that with infection an all.

5. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    …….

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  6. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it's pretty insane that they can still survive and look to be healthy even with a broad head/arrow in them. Two year ago I shot a spike on dec. 12 2011 only because he had a lump on his back. Well after gutting him and skinning him come to find out he had been shot during the rifle season and the bullet literally missed his spine by CMs.

7. Root

Root Tomahawk group

Dislikes Received:
    It was a general gun season were he harvested a buck when we cut him open he had a large infection throughout it's whole back area from I guess being hit previous seasons which sucked for us because we tracked him for about 30 minutes in some very think brush.

8. ck3

ck3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know if I posted this here before but had a knucklehead we hunt with takes a 45-50 yd potshot with a crossbow at an 8 ptr. No idea if he hit it and could not find the arrow. I told him he needed to look hard. Anyway that weekend the deer came back to the same scrape with a huge hole in his neck. Did not seem to affect him much at all. This time he was able to put it down with a kill shot thankfully.

9. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My first deer ever was with a gun. While my cousin was showing me how to field dress it, he cut his hand open on a broadhead stuck in the inside of its ribs. The dder ended up being so infected from it, we had to throw the whole thing out. The place I got a deer processed last year said the fill a 5 gallon bucket full of broadheads they find inside deer every couple years.

10. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Because in WI it is legal to deer hunt with .22 center fire rounds. I think the same is true in MN.

11. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Two years ago I brought my deer in for processing and when I picked it up they wanted to charge me extra because I did not tell them there was a BH still inside. It was a Zwickey 2 blade head with a piece of aluminum shaft attached. I proved to them I only shoot carbons with slick tricks and my arrow passed through. They did finally waive the fee. I am now extra cautious while field dressing.

12. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is false, it is not legal to use a .22 in Wisconsin for hunting deer. I'm not sure that's legal anywhere.

Edit: I checked the regs, and wow, it is legal. That just doesn't seem right. I guess when I read them every year, I read them as you can use anything ABOVE a .22, but it says its "Illegal to use anything below a .22 Centerfire rifle. Wow....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are no caliber restrictions in TX for deer hunting other then it can't be a Rimfire....so all .22 centerfires are legal...several states have similar regs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. sneakin

sneakin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    About 20 years ago I rattled in a nice 8. Came in running across a forty and stopped dead under me. Thought I made a good hit straight down but never found him. A month later the land owner shot him in gun season chasing a doe. Had 2 inches of my arrow and bear razor head in him. He gave me the horns and I still use them today for rattling and have killed a few bucks that came in to them. I probably should replace them with fresh ones but their my lucky horns. The gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  15. sneakin

sneakin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No you where 1/2 correct the first time. .22 center fire is legal but rimfires are not legal. Here is the line from the Wisconsin rule book.

"It is illegal to hunt deer with any center-fire rifle less than .22 caliber, any air gun, or
    any rimfire rifle."

16. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure why this is a shocker to you? A .223 or 22-250 has more then enough power to take down a deer. Shot placement is key but both calibers will do the job.

17. MichiganBowhunter

MichiganBowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I ran into a guy who lives in my sub and we were sharing hunting stories from this past season. Opening morning of Michigan's firearm season he walked out to his blind for the afternoon hunt and there was a big 8 point bedded down next to it. The buck tried to get up and couldn't. He shot it and found the wound where it had been shot by a bow hunter. He took it in for it to be butchered. A few days later he got a call from them to say that the wound had become infected and it infected most of the meat, and they said just to be sure they recommended that he didn't eat any of it. Big bummer but it was a great buck.

18. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think he didn't Notice the center fire part and was imagining a .22 rim fire being used.

Sent from iPhone

19. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a sweet story man and awesome the guy let you have the antlers!

20. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had never heard of it happening before this year. From other peoples stories I heard of it happen 3 times this year. Luckily none of them were cut.