2012 Food Plot. A work in progress (Picture Heavy)

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Skywalker, Apr 24, 2012.

1. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good!

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Still haven't gotten that done yet. Thanks for the reminder, that is something I really want to get done. I might try and get to that this weekend.

3. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    looking good. thanks for keeping us updated with pictures. .

4. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I got a chance to get over and check out the plot last night. There's quite a bit of competing weeds starting to come through. I spot sprayed heavy w. roundup where I could. All in all, the beans seem to be doing very well considering the heat and lack of rain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In other good news, the farmer behind me planted late soybeans after he harvested his wheat this spring, so I will have beans maturing at different times, which should ensure that I have early and late season hunting without any of that dry down phase where the deer ignore them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like we need some more predator control as this one didn't make it.

[​IMG]

5. Justin Hushbeck

Justin Hushbeck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say thats a damn good plot considering how hot and dry its been this year :tu:

6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I've working on another project, but thought I'd give you an update on my food plot. The soybeans have been in the ground for 9 weeks, and have had blooms on them for about a week or so. Aside from the weeds, I am pretty happy with the results to this point. Considering the lack on rain, I am counting my blessings that all the hard work hasn't gone to waste. We're not out of the woods yet, but there's about an inch of rain in the forcast for tonight, so hopefully that will hold true.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some of the Vita Rack Boomin' Beans that I planted about a month after the Soybeans went in. The Boomin' Beans are on the right, and the the regular Soybeans are on the left.

[​IMG]

Here's a couple of the Spring Mix that I planted at the same time as the Boomin' Beans. A mix of grain sorghum, sunflowers, hybrid corn, forage soybeans, buckwheat, millet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'm a little torn as to whether or not I should till up my half acre brassica plot that I planted last fall. There are some weeds in it, but there's also quite a bit of clover that was in the mix growing well as well as the turnips have seeded out and sprouted more turnips already growing. With the lack of rain lately, I'm a little worried about trying to start over from scratch . I may just try and oversead what I already have established, and maybe try some round up weed control to clean it up a bit.

7. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    looks good. im sure theres got to be some big boys lurking around there!

8. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    It's been about a month since I updated this thread. The plot is still looking good, but there are a lot of weeds that have grown up in it since I didn't get a second application of round up. The beans are still doing well considering the drought. The farmer just south of my property got his beans in a couple weeks or so after mine since he had winter wheat in, and they are not doing well at all. The didn't take at all around the edges of the field, and what did is only about knee tall or less and nearly empty pods. We sure could use some rain. I am just thankful that mine is doing as well as it is.

Here some of a mix I have around the edges.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what the beans are looking like.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I pulled a pod to check on the development and feel pretty confident that this plot should pay off in a huge way this year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one of the areas being browsed pretty heavily.
    [​IMG]

9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice!

10. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nice series of pics

11. MMG

MMG Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice beans... are you a farmer?

12. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Haha! That's a good one. A wanna be maybe. I wish I knew more about farming actually. I really enjoy land management and working the land. It feels good to know that I am helping contribute to a healthy deer heard. I can testify that food sources bring bigger deer. I've been running trail cams on this place for about 6 years, and the quantity and quality of bucks on my 40 acres are far and away better this year than it has ever been.

This was the best buck I had on camera last season.
    [​IMG]

Here's a few I've gotten this year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dandy bucks and the plots look great!

14. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Any updates?

15. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    The plot turned out pretty good. Tons of activity. I killed a doe and a buck, both within 50 yards of this plot. I have passed plenty of does. The bucks have been extremely nocturnal on my place this year. I attribute that to my dogs, who have developed a tendency to run around in the plot chasing god know what:(

I have been waiting for the weather to turn into winter and get some snow on the ground, but that has yet to happen and there's plenty of natural browse around to keep them happy without having to rely on my plot. If we get some bad weather, you can bet I'll be out there looking to cash.

16. HoytHunter831

HoytHunter831 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow your plot looks great!!!!!

17. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it's getting to be time to start planning for my 2013 plots. I will be expanding another 1.5 acres of clover and will be planting about 1.5 acres of Egyptian Wheat for a screen to help me get in and out. I ran over to pull my cards this evening and can see very heavy travel through the field. I had over 2200 pics on my camera in just over a week, just on the edge of the field. I took a few pics, and thought I'd share. There's still plenty of beans left to last the deer until spring, and so far most of the pods are still on the plant. We've had a pretty cold stretch here, and I figured there would be a lot of shattering, but luckily for the deer, there's still plenty to eat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ill be looking forward to your thread sir...are you going to start a new one or keep this one?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

19. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I'll start a new one. That way you don't have to scroll through all the old stuff. I may even try to get some videos to go along with pictures. The only thing that sucks about living in the sticks is crappy internet service, but hopefully that will be changing in the near future.