Black Gold or Spott Hogg??

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by FullTimeKiller, Dec 11, 2012.

1. FullTimeKiller

FullTimeKiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

I was hoping I could get your opinions on the Black Gold and Spott Hogg Sights.. I have read on both brands and they both seem to be solid sights, the sight I have right now is beat down and its time for an upgrade!

I do most of my hunting for sheep, elk, deer and bears, and 90% of the time spot and stalk. Please let me know what your choice of the following 2 sights would be, why and what the pros and cons ( if any ) are on the black golds and Spott Hoggs.

Would really appreciate the help, thanks!

Good huntin'

2. vitalzone

vitalzone Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been using Black Gold for a while now. Never thought about changing. Love the brightness especially in the low light.

3. dgable

dgable Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I havent he Spot Hogg Bulletproof sight in a 5 pin. It is rock solid. I can't even think of a way that I would be able to destroy this sight. 3 thumbs up in my book.

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will be watching this thread very closely....the Black Gold is one of the sights I'm considering for upgrading come the new year.

5. Pinnacle Archery

Pinnacle Archery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Both are great sights however we also shoot the Black gold sights. Love them!

6. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both are great but I will always shoot Black Gold. Bullet proof construction and the best warranty in the business. Not to mention, the brightest pins as well.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

7. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really happy with my Black Gold.

8. Indiana Hunter

Indiana Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My research has lead me to getting the black gold rush this winter. I will be custom ordering one directly from them. I love this ascpect about the company.

9. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never used the black gold. I'm a spott Hogg guy for life

10. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for the input. Appreciate it! Its a tough decision on what to go with, but i dont think i can go wrong with either one. Whats your guys' take one 7 pin sights? To many pins?? Just stick with a 5 pin? Thanks.

11. dgable

dgable Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally think 7 pins is to much for my situation. I think it is situational. If you are out west and shooting at longer ranges then 7 pins is useful, but here in Pa, I have never been able to shoot a deer at longer than 30 yards so 5 pins gives me a few extra to play with but I dont ever expect to actually use them on a deer.

12. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks dgable. I'm from out west Central BC Canada, so I was thinkin about getting a 7 pin, especially for when i plan on goin sheep hunting in the bow only zone up north. I had the oppertunity to go 2 years ago unfortunatly didn't get one, closest I got was around 100 yrs, but let me tell you, its just an amazing experience chasin sheep up in the mountains, unbelievable up there, even got to see 3 grizzlies while i was there. Awesome! One my 5 pin sight I have I sit it up so my first pin was sighted in for 40 yds. Then 50, 60, 70, and 80. I did practice for a solid month or so shooting those distances but no chance i would attempt a 100 yrd shot at a game, not with that set up.. Next for me is spring grizzly here in BC, i'm already pumped! :tu:

Happy Hunting Buddy

13. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One great way to reduce pin clutter while still being able to shoot far is getting the Black Gold Ascent.

Usally comes in a 3 or 5 pin model. I had a custom 4 pin built. It works like a single pin moveable but allows you to cover 20-30-40-50 already before having to adjust.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

14. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    @ backcountry, i will definatly have a look at that sight, thanks a lot for the info, appreciate it!

15. Tyson

Tyson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the Black gold Vengeance with 5 pins and the 6 inch dove tail base, and I will tell you that it makes me a better and more accurate shooter.

16. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Decided to go with the spot hogg sdp7, got to try out a few shots with one and really liked it, also tried out a couple of black golds liked them too, imo they are both great and couldnt go wrong with either sight. It just came down to personal preference. Thanks to everyone for your comments and segestions, happy hunting!

17. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    spott hoggs are pretty awesome. I've had the privelidge of shooting the spott hogg hunter (5 pin model) and it is probably the best bow sight ive ever looked through. I hear they are tough as nails as well. That could be beneficial for a spot and stalk type hunter.

18. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My next site will be a sport Hogg Hogg it. But I want mine custom with 7 pins ( top 5 .19 and bottom two .10)

Sent from iPhone

19. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    Ya that sounds nice! I was also considering having at least the 7th pin @ .10" thatll be nice. I get mine in within the next week, cant wait to set it up. If i want a .10 pin for my 6th or 7th pin i should be able to switch to that right? All 7 pins on the SDP7 are .19.

20. FullTimeKiller

Dislikes Received:
    I thought about what to get for awhile before deciding on the spott hogg sdp7, im really happy with the sight. THEN...today my buddy sold me his black gold surge 5 pin brand new never before used sight for $90! I couldnt turn down that deal!! so now i have 2 brand new sights!! Threw on the black gold today and lobe it as well, not it starts all over again which sight? :D Haha! Love the bright pins on the BG. Also i think im gunna use the black gold more because dont really need 7 pins, ill use that sight for huntin in the mountains for sheep and mountain goat.