Which bow

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by maxpetros, Jan 5, 2013.

1. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My birthday is coming up I'm march and my parents are going to buy me a new bow. Our budget is 600-700 dollars. Can someone give me a list in that price range of bows that I should shoot/ look at before I make my decision.

2. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I already know I want to shoot the 2013 bear domain and method as well as the 2013 bowtech assassin and the 2013 PSE bow madness. Anything else I should add to my list

3. HuntingNONstop

HuntingNONstop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How old are you? If your like me, I'm only 14 an have a lot of growing left to go. I have the Diamond Razor Edge and it's easy the best bow for a new hunter who is around the same age as 14. It's got 19"-29" DL and a 30 lbs (i think is the lowest) all the way up to 60 lb draw weight. Not many bows have that much adjustability. And you look online there are hardly any bad reviews on the bow. It's awesome. Depending how old you are, you should look into it. It comes with all accessories such as sight, rest, peep sight, string silencers. But even though there not the greatest. It can definitely get you started. I upgraded the sight to a HHA and the rest to a Trophy Ridge Revolution. But you can do what you want. Well this may not even mean anything to you if are not younger. But just if you are, maybe this will help.

4. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    And please don't be biased towards your favorite brand

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is tough for a lot of guys seeing as how most people consistently shoot the same brand time and time again. My advice is the same as always...shoot everything in your price range and make your decision logically. Don't pick one bow over another for speed....speed IMO is the last deciding factor. Think smooth draw, quiet, comfortable grip, brace height and everything else that makes it feel like the bow is a part of you.

6. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. But I'm actually looking to upgrade from a bear apprentice. It had the same draw weight range but I want something with a little more punch. But for sentimental value I want to take my first deer with it. Reason for upgrade is I maxed it out in aspects except DL

7. newbie2012

newbie2012 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bear encounter is a nice bow

8. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I shot the 2013 empire. It's a little out of my price range but it is so smooth and well balanced everything about it was great

9. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    On the bears can you upgrade the limbs from 50-60 to 60-70? Can you do this with the assassin as well?

10. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    check out the mission ballistic

11. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Okay I'll add that to my "to shoot" list. I am a kid so does it have easily adjustable DL? I have a 26 inch DL so anything that has a DL range of 26 and above

12. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Update my price range is 750-800. I convinced my dad it was worth it

13. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't for get about 'extras'. Make sure you leave some wiggle room in there. Some shops will set it up for you (d-loop, adjustments, etc) and some won't. Are you going to use same sight, rest, etc on new bow?
    I shot the PSE Revenge, and Bear Method along with Mission Ballistic. The Method was a good shooting bow. Definitely try it before making a decision. Absolutely shoot the Ballistic. I was set on the Revenge, but the Ballistic felt like it was made for me. Set up, new rest, and some small stuff it ran me $746 out the door. Money well spent IMO

14. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my son a pse bow madness two years ago. his 18 now and still shooting it and with the adjustments on the draw DL and draw weight he will be shooting it for years.

15. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I already have the all new accessories for the new bow. HHA sight nap apache rest. Bstinger stabilizer and a g5 headloc quiver. This is my budget for just the bow and I told my dad I would pay to get it tuned so 850 is what I'm looking to spend just on the bow

16. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am not trying to be brand biased but if you want easily adjustable DL go check out the PSE stuff. No cams to change or buy later on and most have up to 5" of adjust ability and the new ones (2012 and up) have 15lb of Draw weight adjustment. I believe 850 would put you into their EVO bows which personally I didn't really like but you may give them a shot. I shoot the Vendetta DC.

They're are tons of great options out there. Just go shoot everything you can get your hands on. If you decide on Mathews or Hoyt or some other brand that doesn't offer a lot of adjust ability within their cams I would really advise you to go ahead and get the next size or 2 up on the cams. That way if in the future you need it you have it and don't have to find. That is just kind of just in case they get hard to find. Also you don't have to spend $800 to get a great bow. Don't turn your nose up at anything. If its on the wall shoot it. Remember that inexpensive and cheap don't necessarily mean the same thing.

17. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I added some PSE pro series. The vendetta dc and evo max

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  18. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I added the hoyt charger and bear motive 6

19. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    And bear empire

20. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah just cause I have the 800 to spend doesn't mean I'll spend it. I really like the bowtech assassin and the PSE bow madness and they are 600 Dollars. Also the PSE that have the 15 pounds of weight adjustment does that me if I had 60 poun peak limbs I could go down to 45? Or does it mean it has 50 pound min and 65 pound max