shooting pigs?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Kansasbuck, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Let me start off with, I have never shot a pig, but interested in doing so. I have been watching the videos on this site of some pig hunts, and one thing that stands out, to me anyway, is that no one has any pass through shots. I understand pigs are dense, tough animals, but it appears penetration is going to be a concern. Cut on impact broadheads are obviously something I should look into, but I wonder if you guys that do this can give some me some pointers as to what to look at. Is 70 pounds enough? do I need heavy arrows?

I am a deer shooter, and kill them fine, just wondering about these thick skinned little devil pigs.
    Thanks in advance

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay... to date I have killed 37 pigs with my bow. Most of them have been what I would call Island pigs in Guam, which did not have as heavy a shield as the ones I have found here in Bammer. The largest was a 210 pound sow which had little to no shield. Many were boars and I usually got a pass through shooting aluminum 2117 or 2219s with COC 4 blade BHs. My most recent pig (see my post Boar Hog Down) was a nice, but certainly not large by most standards, pig. I got a pass through that fell out as the pig ran using 4 blade Muzzy 125s and 300 spine Beman ICS. I don't think it had enough KE for a much larger pig because it barely made it through and I hit no bone at all. I ordered some COC two bladed, single bevel heads with a 1 1/8 cut. I have little doubt these will do the job but have been experimenting with adding weight to the arrow using weedeater string. I suppose there is a point of diminishing returns with weight/speed. I will likely just order some heavier arrows designed for tougher critters like FMJs or something from Alaska Bowhunting. 70 pounds is plenty... you've just got to forget the flat shooting is better concept. Go heavy with smaller COC and you'll be fine. If you get penetration, hogs are easy to kill from my experience. If you don't get penetration they are really tough to put down. The shield is also thickest right in the sweet spot so try to get a quartering angle and stay back some.

3. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    me and my son hunted boar this year i used a 100 gr g5 montec with a easton fmj at 29 inch my son used the same set up the pigs were at 27 and 30 yards we both had pass thoughs i shoot a helim at 62 lbs my son shoots a bowtec at 70 lbs

4. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    There's no reason your setup should have failed. How big were your pigs? I am hunting one reputed to be over 450, which I doubt, but I do want to be capable if he is that large. I did see a picture of a 537 a couple days ago... doubt that too... but he was big.

5. Kansasbuck

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like pigs really are not that tough to bring down. Thanks for the reply

6. bowhunterleroy

bowhunterleroy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if it means anything, ive been blessed to be friends with a gentleman on another site whos known as the guru of archery/boar-hog-pig hunting.

he shoots an older compound bow, under 260 fps, and his arrows weigh around 435g. hes killed some monster boar in his time and he taught me one thing that i MUST remember when hog hunting, ( no matter the speed,weight,or kinetic energy of the setup, its not a substitute for a vitals shot)

he told me that he has hit a 323lb sow and DRT, with a 50 lb recurve bow/ 500grain arrow. he only uses 2 blades and muzzy original 3 blade.

i, myself, like big bad and heavy arrows just to make the bow/arrow quiet, and to have the edge of a less affected arrow to the elements.

7. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No. They are tough and if that arrow is not well placed you'll not retrieve your hog. I'm still learning but between me and my friends we have lost more than we're retrieved. They are tough.

8. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone use the arrow tubes to add weight? I was thinking about adding the 5gpi to mine if I go on this hog hunt a friend of mine is coordinating. I would be looking at around 12gpi and arrows 28" long should do the trick. Just didn't know if they were worth $30 a dozen.

9. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    maybe i said it wrong be the bows did not fail i hit mine in the lungs it went 20 yards my sons hit hart his went 15 and laid down his was 260 mine was 235

10. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    There still tough... but penetration is the key.

11. bowhunterleroy

Dislikes Received:
    since im rather new to shooting pigs, i feel we kinda owe it to the pig to have an arrow that blow through it even if we take a bad shot.thats kinda my kick on life i guess but many people on the internet claim to shoot them with their deer setup, so i guess its just what you hit on the way in and the way out. :moose:

12. Kansasbuck

Dislikes Received:
    like I said, I have been watching the hog hunting videos, and it jumped out at me that nearly all of the arrows stuck in the pigs, very few pass through, and most appeared to have a lot of arrow still sticking out. I really hate to have animals take a hit and run off, so I thought asking about hog specific equipment seemed like a good idea.

my deer set up is 70 pounds, 28 inch 2016 arrows, with 125 grain 3-blade fixed blades (wasp). Im guessing I should at least change over too a cut on impact type of head for more penetration, but it seems unclear if any other change in the setup is necessary. For sure I need to hit the chest broadside.

Thanks for all input

13. bowhunterleroy

Dislikes Received:
    i know my friend swears by magnus broadheads or muzzy ( screw in broadhead ) <<< older style i recall him saying those usually get the best penetration with his light arrows, kinda something to think about

14. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone seen the damage the Exodus put on the hog on YouTube. Search Exodus hog hunt. It's worth watching.

15. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think if u was going to hunt hogs, I'd switch my arrows over to FMJs and Id tip them with the 1" Slick Trick Standards. I'm confident that the slick trick would do the job.

16. bone_driven

bone_driven Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive killed two with my bow so far this year and im shooting 63 pound with gold tips 5575 arrows and T3s on the end of em and it does just fine for me.

17. Thay23

Thay23 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just killed a pig last night with my 70lb Mathews z7 xtreme, I use the 340 easton bloodline with a 100gr. muzzy 3-blade broad head, boar didn't make it 20yrds without dropping.