***team 34 thread!!!***

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by cmonsta, Aug 25, 2012.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back on stand. It's a good mile hike in and it's all uphill. This is a different stand from this morning. This is supposedly where the big boys roll. We'll see. Good luck!

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot you a 60 5/8" buck, Johnny! :D

3. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hey man hope all goes well up there. i didn't sniff a deer here saturday, maybe this weekend.

4. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I passed on four bigger than that today Tony!

5. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well, the score is posted. What a week. While I didn't get any close up looks at monster bucks, I did manage to take a buck and two does. I was hoping that the buck I killed would make 100", but it only came in at 93". With the doe that's 143 points for the team.

That was a fantastic trip. I've never had so many deer come into bow range. I wish now that I'd taken the bigger 7 point I saw Tuesday. He would have probably made 120", but it was too early in the trip for that. I will say that if I hadn't shot the one I did I would have come home with does only. That was the last buck I had come close. I'll post more details about the trip later. I haven't been home long and I have a lot of unpacking to do.

6. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks again buddy and congrats again! So happy for you!

Tomorrow is our last day of archery here in Pa. But, i will be bow hunting rifle also if i don't get the job done tomorrow. Hope it doesn't come to that though...for a buck any way. A mature buck is hard to come by when the Orange army is out for blood.

7. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all just wanted to update....I did manage to get a small buck on the ground last Tuesday. It was the best morning of hunting in my life, I seen 11 different bucks before 11am. I ended up shooting him around 930, it was one of those pure excitement shots that I didnt even really think before I shot. I looked down and this buck was walking through laurel at about 10yards away and it was all over from there.

Ill get the pics and score and stuff up later this week when I get a chance!

LittleChief~~ Congrats brother, looks like you had a good hunt as well!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I will definitely try to get these pics in the scorecard when I have an hour to waste, posting pics here is a pain in the ***!!
    Every time I try to upload it takes me to a Mathews website....? Talk about shoving it in your throat!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  9. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man that's awesome congrats! Awesome buck for sure! I never had the issue you are talking about but does take me some time to post pics myself so I understand. When you get a min make sure you post 2 pics of him and include the date and time you got him. Were finally on the move gentleman! I didn't do so well today but rifle starts in 3 weeks, and ill be bowhunting then still. Hopefully I can help us sneak up on these guys!

10. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Trying again....?

Never mind still a pain in the ***

11. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's been a while since I been on here...figured I would check in. Thursday I went in and set up a few cameras in areas I been seeing shooters out of range. Going to check them Tuesday (wish they could sit longer but running out of time) and hopefully the bucks are still using at least one of the areas. If so, ill move a stand or 2 in on them and be ready to go. Rifle starts Monday after thanksgiving. I'll be out in my beautiful Orange vest n hat tryin to throw arrows at these deer. Once they hear them first few shots the woods change fast around here so I'm a bit worried but well see. Also, the first 5 days are buck only so that'll take away some chances at putting 50 points up. But, I havent quit team. I'm not as confident and fired up as I was, but I'm still in it to win it and we still have as much of a shot as anyone. Some teams shot their bucks early, we could just as well all shoot late in the season and sneak up on em!

12. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Score has been posted guys!

13. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome thanks a ton bud and congrats again! That's awesome!

14. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sorry been so long guys. nothing to report as far as deer go. had a nice encounter last monday just couldn't shoot. have not seen much at all, except on the side of the road. hopefully it will pick up this week starting thursday moring. going to hunt all weekend, just hope my son is slower on the draw than me to give me a chance to stick one.

15. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the update Aaron, glad to hear from you. Hopefully your luck picks up soon!

I just got back from checking cams. Was not at all what I was hoping...for the most part. I had 4 cams out, 2 were a bust, the other 2 wernt much better. But, in the spot I thought I would get a big boy moving, I did get 1 pic of him there. its blurry, kinda far from the cam, but its day time movement and a monster for sure. Hope you can zoom in on him and get a good look at him. Moved a stand in on him, so hopefully its the right move!

WGI_0010.jpg

16. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    he looks good for sure.

17. WesternMdHardwoods

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I got another 50pts for the team today. I will get pics up later on this week, it has been a long day.

18. PaBowhunter

PaBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I finally have a little extra time so I can tell you about my Kansas hunt. All in all it was a pretty good hunt. The weather was extremely warm for that time of year, with record highs for a couple of days. The deer were still moving, but was limited to early morning and late afternoon. I spent the first couple days setting stands and glassing fields. We were seeing a few good bucks while glassing but nothing huge.

On halloween, on only my second sit on stand, I had a real nice buck coming straight towards my stand. I looked him over with my binoculars and with 9 points I figured he would score in the high 150's. He was walking on the trail I had in front of me and I had to decide on whether to shoot or pass. Knowing there was a bigger buck in there last year that would probably score in the 180's this year, and being so early in the hunt I decided to pass him. It was the biggest deer I have ever passed up.

I continued hunting and in the following week I passed a 140" point at 8 yards, a 145" 9 pointer and was seeing a 150" main frame 8 point with some stickers and a hook coming off his right base. I decided not to call at him and let my buddy who was hunting with me hunt that stand the following morning and he killed him at 27 yards.

I didn't see any buck bigger than that big 9 so I went back and tried hunting him again. I seen him a couple more times but he was locked with a hot doe each time. I didn't see any sign of the 180" buck at all this year. I also found a dead buck near a pond that scored 153. It looked like he was dead for a while.

So this year I didn't get a deer. Its only the 2nd time that I have gone to Kansas and haven't gotten a buck. I had plenty of oppurtunity tho and seen and passed up alot of smaller bucks that I didn't mention. I was really looking for that 180" this year and you can't shoot a 180" if you shoot a 160", so I was satisfied with my hunt.

Congrats WesternMdHardwoods and Littlechief on your deer! Thats awesome. Good Luck to you guys still hunting...

19. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well, my son and i had a good encounter with a very good 10 point yesterday afternoon. he came out of some stuff we did not think anything would come from, let alone a big boy we usually only see in october. we did not see him this year and thought he might have been harvested. he is alive and well and seems bigger than before. now that i have a gun kill which i got friday i am back to strickly bow hunting the rest of the year. my plan is to stick this guy in the coming weeks. best of luck guys on the future hunts.

20. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Almost got a 110 for us last night but couldn't get drawn. Every time I would start to he would stop n stomp at me. Think he caight me grabbing my bow off the hanger. It was dark so he couldn't figure out what I was but he could see the movement. Today was dead. Wind has been the wrong direction so that's leaving me in a sub par stand. But its better then the couch!