Team 24 Official Thread

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by Iowa Veteran, Aug 25, 2012.

1. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    GL with the search....a buck of that caliber (170+) would make me cry if i can't find it...

2. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    DJ - Crying wouldn't cover the feelings

3. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My tracker looked hard. Last night's dew and heavy fog this morning left nothing behind to track. We checked both creeks and around all the ponds. Also, covered the corn field and all the crp. Bumped a lot of does, but that's it. Then, took the lab for a walk and right where the buck had been she picked up the trail. She ran it 40 yards and bumped up a freaking huge rabbit. Dejected and tired. Gonna rest a bit before going back out for the other any sex tag.

4. Oklabowyer

Oklabowyer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that Mark. It's the worst feeling in the world to lose one. But keep the faith brother, you may find him yet.

5. Gutshotem

Gutshotem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No idea how you feel as I've never even laid eyes on a buck of that caliber. Good luck in your continued search buddy im sure he's piled up somewhere.

6. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wife went out while I was hunting the other end of the property. She found the arrow where it should not have been. There was white hair, fat and a little blood on it. I talked to my tracking buddy and he told me that it was probably a combination of two things. 1. In low light, it is common to misjudge distances; and 2. Probably hit a small limb that I didn't see in the low light. Looked the morning and there is a knicked limb between where I was and where the buck was at approximately 12' off the ground. He's going to be still running around out there.

7. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope the rest of my bow season goes better than my gun did. This is four years in a row now skunked!

8. Sconley81

Sconley81 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys looks like I will be out of the stand for a while, had to go in today for emergency gallbladder surgery. Surgeon told my wife that the gallbladder was very sick and in horrible shape which made it even more difficult to remove. Said more than a few hundred stones with quiet a few large stones. Glad that I have gotten this thing out but def in some pain and soreness right now. Hopefully recovery is pretty quick and I can get back out there this season. My concern is being able to draw back and potentially hold it for an extended period.

9. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you get better soon there sc.

10. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Man!

11. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get well soon brother.

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a decent 8 this morning...with the rifle...sorry fellas. Crazy part was that it was a chip shot for archery. 25yds broadside:/

13. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rifle or not, congrats Matt. I'm jealous...

14. Sconley81

Sconley81 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck, looking forward to some pictures.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I am back to work today after surgery on Friday, still seems as if the season maybe over for me as they have advised me of no lifting or pulling of anything over 15lbs for 4-6 weeks. I'll be taking it day by day and hopefully will be able to squeeze some time in mid-December.

15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, guys. Haven't had a chance to score him yet (won't score much), but he's solid for my woods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like him. Congrats Matt

17. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted again all weekend, NUTTIN! This warm weather and bright moon is killing me. At least that's what I'm gonna blame it on...

18. Oklabowyer

Oklabowyer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well it's been a tough season so far for me. I haven't seen any real shooters from the stand in several weeks other than a nice 8 point. Not sure what the problem is this season. Warm, windy, very dry conditions combined with no cloud cover to mask that bright moon are probably some of the culprits. as well as a sharp increase in hunting pressure all around our lease this year. I can't help but believe these things have played a role in decreased deer movement on my farm or at least changed the pattern. Nevertheless, the stand locations I have out have produced for me in past seasons but for some reason this year has been different. Mostly nocturnal movement and really to be honest I haven't even gotten much on my cams this season since way back in the very early going. I did have a really nice 8 point come by one of my stand sites last wednesday evening with about 10 minutes of shooting light left. I'm hoping that things pick up or I'm considering hunting another farm this last month of the season. There's still plenty of time to make it happen. Good luck to the rest of you.

19. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I joined the ranks of the orange army today and let the boomstick bark. Got lucky, was walking out to go get some lunch after sitting all morning in 70 degree weather on Dec.3rd in Iowa, which is just outrageous, ran into another guy on the public ground and he said he had 10 guys walking around getting ready to drive it. He needed an extra guy to cover a corner and said deer always run out there, so I covered it. Had a doe and a button buck come out right in front of me. Didnt realize it was a button, but they both got dropped. Not really how I like to hunt, but the meat will be good to fill the freezer. shotgun 2012.jpg

20. Gutshotem

Gutshotem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the deer guys. I haven't seen a shooter in a few weeks but I'm headed out for a morning hunt tom and sat, and then I'm heading to KY for a quick smokepole hunt sun-tues.