Bowshop/Purchase Question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by purebowhunting, Nov 19, 2012.

1. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bowshop/ Bow Purchase Question

I've owned two bows in my life, both purchased without ever shooting and each worked out, luckly. I'm looking at possibly purchasing another and see everyone recommends shooting multiple bows and let the bow pick you which I do understand. What I wonder is to get an honest feel for a bow, you'd need it in your proper draw length, isn't that a lot to ask for a shop to set-up multiple bows for me to shoot then watch me walk out of the shop to shoot more brands to find what I'm looking for? I don't use a bow shop currently, I do all my own work, so just kind of feel like a prick asking this kind of service from a bowshop I've never set foot in. Maybe I'm just overthinking it and this is standard procedure, opinions?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well i know are local pro shop is all about having you shoot a few different ones before you purchase one. They actually recommend it them selfs to the buyer. Hope yours will do the same. Making a happy costumer just helps them in the future!

3. Double

Double Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased my first bow this year. Went to a fantastic shop with a large stock of bows to choose from. The salesman was fantastic- I told him my price range, and he let me shoot every bow I wanted to. There were a couple that he had to adjust the draw length / #, but he was very willing to do so.

I know I could have saved some money here or there by buying my bow & accessories piece-meal from various outlets. But this salesman was super-friendly & helpful. He got me into a great set-up that suits me & my needs perfectly. I couldn't have asked for better customer service.

So for spending a bit more money while buying at a quality archery shop, I got everything I need at one stop. The salesman also spent plenty of time with me getting the bow set for my specs. Even spent time with me giving me tips on shooting. I was lucky to find a shop that I had heard great things about, and I had a great buying experience there. The salesman was outstanding. He knows that by spending enough time and energy on me and my purchase that I will reward his shop with my business going forward. The piece of mind I got with my bow purchase, along with the comfort of buying equipment & accessories from an expert shop, made the extra cabbage I forked over worth it for me. The saleman knows his good customer service has hooked a customer for life, and I know I have a great shop with guys that know their stuff should any issues arise with my equipment. Win / win.

4. RoyC

RoyC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think it is too much to ask. As stated in another post, a good pro shop will encourage you to shoot more than one.

5. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    your over thinking it, putting on a rest to be able to shoot a bow to get the feel of it isn't that hard. After all your buying it so make sure you get the right one!

6. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    most bow demos will be in a 29" draw set somewhere between 55 & 60 lbs.
    It is more to see how the comfort of the bow feels to you.
    the down side is if you have a shorter draw like a 27" then you will not know exactly how the draw cycle or wall feel.
    But I would recommend trying a few different ones before you put out the cash for one

7. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, look forward to getting into some shops this winter!

8. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think any shop worth its salt will glady let you shoot a bow that actually fits you.. demo away!

9. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shed they can't do that.
    They would have to have a demo in every size. Then it's a used bow.
    If you go with a mission or a bear or anything along those lines they are quickly adjustable.
    But a hoyt, Mathews, bow tech, prime, etc are set. Mathews can't be adjusted at all.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

10. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That kinda sucks to hear. I have a short DL 26.5 so on say mathews bows i wouldnt be able to shoot one with my specs that i need? is that what your saying. if so how would you know how it really feels and shoots then?

11. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of shops have different cams not saying they all do or should but, the one I went to today and shot the Creed had different cams for their demo. Took the guy 5 min to change the cam out and I went to shooting. Pretty nice bow by the way. Just not for me.

12. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay that makes sense and good to hear. I wont be getting another bow till at least next year at the earliest but its good to know these things for the future when i do go to shoot some bows.

13. archeryguru2000

archeryguru2000 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used to work in an archery shop and trust me, we want you to be as comfortable and happy about your purchase as possible. That's exactly how we get you to return and make your future purchases with us... not somewhere else. Without repeat customers archery shops will go out of business. If your local shop has employees who want to keep their job, they'll help you out as much as possible. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be shy about shooting more than one bow. You and the archery shop (both) will benefit in the long run. Hope my opinion helps. :)

14. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A good archery shop will want you to feel as comfortable as possible with a bow. My shop has a WB they throw onto whichever bow you decide and several cams for each kind of bow. It made choosing my bow easy.