Heartbreakers - Team 5

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by ATbuckhunter, Aug 26, 2012.

1. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the deer! Cant wait to see the pictures.

2. wv_whitetailhunter

wv_whitetailhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

Checked one of my camera's today and had a 120-130's class 8 point that I haven't seen in over a month at the mock scrape I plan on hunting tomorrow. Also had a new 9 point, wide 7 point and a decent 8 point in the same spot. All of these bucks were coming in there during daylight hours so I'm praying everything works out perectly for me tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone who's going out this weekend!

3. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep us posted on how your hunt goes.

4. Bow Hunter Beck

Bow Hunter Beck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    005.jpg 006.jpg this is the nub buck I shot a couple days ago

5. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the deer! I went up today and well it was one of my best hunting days. Ill post the story in a few.

6. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunted the last 9 straight days. Have seen good numbers of deer & the rut seems to be starting. I just haven't had the perfect opportunity yet. I have to go into work this Monday for meetings then have 6 more days off. Our gun season opens Friday so I'd like to fill my bow tag by then.

7. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the lengthily read in advance but this is one of the best days i have ever had.
    When my father and i pulled into the hunting property i saw a HUGE doe run from the lawn to behind the house into the edge of the woods. I sat in the passenger seat watching to see how big and if she had any fawns with her. I saw a deer put its head down and trot right to the does behind. When the deer picked up its head i could tell it was a shooter 8 point. I went to pull out my bow but i took to long and decided to let him trot off in peace to maybe spread his dreams. As i made we made our way to the stand i pulled the cards and plugged it into the laptop once in the stand. I was pleasantly surprised when i saw that i had got pics of 7 different bucks eating acorns and sparring. Once i finished both cams cards i noticed a doe walking away to the bedding area. I didn't see anything else for another 10 min when i saw a spike running diagonal to the edge of a field 50-60 yards infront of me. He stopped at the edge walked it down to a point where a second buck had greeted him. Im not 100% sure the antler size of the buck but he was a lot bigger and had a crazy look to him. About an hour after they disappear I see a doe on the very edge of the field just watching for danger and letting her fawn eat. They leave the field abruptly and from the direction they ran i see 12 deer running on a trail just out of bow range for me(trail is 50 yards away). I tried to call in a doe but it didnt work out so well. After they ran out of sight(10:30) i didn't see another deer until about 1:10. I saw 2 deer at 1:10 running toward the bedding area all of the does came from. About 2 hours later i see a deer to my right but not enough to see buck or doe. 20 min later a deer(spike) comes from the same direction. I turned out to be the same spike that kept running the does. About 5 min after that all 11 does walk to the bedding area. Almost all but the spike walk just out of range of me. 30 min later while i was...Draining the system i had a doe come down a trail but hang up behind a log just beyond my range(Range=40 yards). The doe stayed there for 40 min not coming into the decoy i had out. The doe left just as fast as it came in. About 1 1/2 hours later 5 does came to that same spot eating acorns i guess. They leave just as shooting light has faded and conclude one of my best days of hunting. Sorry again for the lengthy and the grammar( i have been up since 3 am with my father because of the gas crisis in NYC and im pooped)

8. huntalot

huntalot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    checking in, been very slow for me.

9. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully the rut comes to you soon.

10. dman4505

dman4505 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't been on in a while due to school and work
    I'm heading out tomorrow after voting, hope to add one for us

Don

11. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Keep us posted on how you do.

12. dman4505

dman4505 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No luck on Tuesday.
    Windy as all he__, it was blowing around 20-25 with gusts near 40
    Made it nice for sneaking in but it was scary when in the stand
    thought about setting up the ground blind but I didn't think it would stay in one place with the gusts
    Plus temps in the mid 60's
    I'll try again this Monday and Tuesday, temps are going to be mid 30's

Don

13. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck and keep us posted. I will be heading out tomorrow all day but i have to sight in my rifle midday so it wont be a true all day sit like it did last week.

14. Ol' Man Fitz

Ol' Man Fitz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Checking In: Took a doe for the freezer, now i can concentrate on a couple nice Bucks Mike and i have on the cams......

Terrible weather today but have a 3 day weekend to hunt.....then Wisconsin gun season......

[​IMG]

15. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe! Good luck with blade and whistler and good luck with WI gun season!

16. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good news guys...button buck down! Ill post the story and pics an a few.

17. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This will be a quick story so don't worry about a long read.
    The day started out pretty good when i got out of my car and smelled a rutting buck close by. I watched the small lawn for a little but hurried to that stand with my dad. After getting set up and pulling all of the cards out of my cam i looked up and saw a deer in a big 13 acre field about 200-230 yards away. I watched the deer for 10 min until it returned back into the woods. About 3-5 min later my father pokes me and says a deer is coming our way from the bedding area. As the deer got closer it got a good look at my decoy and skirted around the edges of my good shooting lanes. It finally got just close enough to sneak a shot through the trees and branches. I did not see the arrow hit but i heard the unmistakable thump of a good rib hit. I watched the deer run about 40-50 yards max before falling over and jumping in the air. I got down about 10 min later and tracked him anyway for the practice. I was originally going to wait for a buck but i could not resist. When i was talking to the land owner around 2:00 i was greated by a big 8 running the egde of his lawn working his way righ towards me. If he would have continued on his path he would have been 12 yards broadside, but he saw us and took off after does.
    Here he is

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  18. Pro V1

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work AT!

19. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good job AT congrats buddy

20. Pro V1

Dislikes Received:
    I stuck a nice buck on Friday morning. Perfect shot @ 16 yards & ran about 70 yards & dropped. Pics & rest of story to come. Plus I gotta figure out how to enter it.