! Team 18 ! The Ant farm

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by boof, Aug 25, 2012.

1. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am awful excited for this weekend. I have a lot of stock put into these next five days! Sunday morning should be great, peak time of year for rutting plus a 30 degree drop from Saturday to Sunday!

2. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well just got more pics of my target buck for this weekend. there are some daytime ones but i just got this one. what do you guys think he will go? my guess was 125-135

but disregard the dates and time i forgot to set them again
    [​IMG]

3. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice deer. Speaking of deer I missed my 3RD ONE THIS YEAR!!!! SHOT RIGHT OVER HER!! 7 yards from my tree. Really frustrated with myself right now. I

4. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a good one tonight. Came to 75 yards. Going back in tomorrow from noon on. This weekend's it kids. Push it.

5. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got him at 121-123 bh18. Kill em.

6. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saw very little action until this evening. I had 2 small bucks pushing a doe at 2:30 and then at 4:30 I had a monster 8 point push 3 does past at 50 yards. I tried everything to turn him, but he had love on his mind. I'm home to shower and restock the cooler then back in the woods by sunrise.

7. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had this little guy at 7 yards tonight, he was hot on a doe. First really close encounter Ive had this year with a rutting buck.
    [​IMG]

8. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff this morning! Saw two shooter bucks dogging some does. Both were all of 130 and didnt bother responding to my grunts, its hard to compete with the real thing. I think Sunday morning I will give the decoy a go. We will see what the morning brings! I needed this encouragment today!

9. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Ben pa

10. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    As a hot doe run by with 2 bucks up on her tail and my dad just said there's a big buck walking through our neighbors yards towards me... Hopefully a good morning

11. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rough, cold morning today. Didn't see anything. Back at it tonight! One thing I am sure of, I will be skipping a lot of class this week.

12. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its been a really exhausting couple of days. Havent seen many deer and the weather has been beating me up. Not sure how much more I can handle of these sorts of hunts.

13. bowhunter18

Dislikes Received:
    Will try to get out tomorrow afternoon

14. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be putting in a ton of hours this week. I have no work so I'll be out there everyday sun up, sun down!! I

15. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    8pt. 11-11-2012.jpg 8pt.11-11-2012.jpg 104lb. doe 11-7-2012.jpg 104lb.doe  11-7-2012.jpg

Update for Team 18: I've tried to wait for a nice buck for the team, but out of 2 weeks of vacation already used up time is running short for me. We got a call Sat. morning and my hunting partner ****ie's brother had passed away earlier in the morning. We had to return home for the funeral tomorrow and will return back to camp Wed. leaving only a good day and a half remaining to bow hunt before the gun opener. I will get the buck measured tomorrow after the funeral and post pics to the contest. Meanwhile I hope the rest of you are having a great time hunting as the rut is just starting to go full blast where I'm hunting. Good luck and be safe.

16. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work flop! That should be another 160 points for our team at least! Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. Are you shooting a youth bow?

17. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job Flopdrop. Congrats on doubling up.

I hunted from last Tuesday till Sunday afternoon when the rains and wind ran me home. I saw exactly one shooter buck and I saw him twice. Friday evening he pushed 3 does by my stand at 50 yards and Saturday morning he cruised by alone at 70 yards. He's a nice wide heavy 8 pointer that the neighbor took a chunk out of when he shot over his spine a few weeks ago.

Other than that I saw a couple other small bucks chasing does, but not an all out rut crazed frenzy. I'm sure it's going on right now when I have to be at work so 4 other deer hunters can hunt the MO gun season. I'm headed back toting my shotgun this weekend, then it's back to the bow after that. No hunting with a bow during gun season in IL.

18. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess you might call it an antique these days. I never see or hear anybody shooting one of these anymore. It's a Matthews SQ2.

19. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. The big boys have not shown themselves at all. The little ones were just starting to follow the does on Saturday. I think I was starting to piss some of them off. I would cover their scrapes up walking in, in the mornings. Just to see them reopened when I went in for lunch. Until they abandon the scraping frenzy I don't believe they have started the chasing stage fully yet.

If you fill your shotgun tag early your more then welcome to join us at Siloam Springs State Park they have a bowhunting only piece of property close to 2,000 acres called the Buckhorn Unit which you can bowhunt during the firearm season. We drew firearm tags for the park itself and would be glad to show you a few good spots.

20. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feel pretty defeated right now, but plan on skipping a lot of class this week. Hopefully the deer cooperate.