** Team 2 Thread **

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by cmkilo02, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Chiro_Archer

Chiro_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been having the same issue, only I havent been seeing anything in morning or afternoon, so I am guessing they are moving at night and prolly mid day, but I am not giving up, cant wait my fiance is coming down friday and we are setting up her new hoyt vixcen and gonna possible go ground style over the weekend!

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Morning report: The decoy was a pain to put together and I was about a half h our late getting in the stand. I stopped at my other stand location and pulled the scent drag from the scrapes and out to the field. Drug them over to my stand, set up the decoy, then went over near the creek crossing and pulled the drags from there over to my stand. It was really foggy this morning and I looked up as I was nearing the stand, spotted the decoy and thought it was a real deer. Lol anyway, just before light, I spotted something moving across the field. I think it was a yote, but couldn't be certain. About 830, I see a deer coming out of the creek crossing, but cutting across the corner of the field. Blew the snort wheeze to get it's attention, but it must have been a doe because it spooked and ran back into the woods. I was mad at myself for not being patient. Little after 9, I looked left and spotted a 4 point buck walking along the field edge where I'd dragged the scent wicks. He got even with the decoy, about 10 yards away, then turned and ran. Wasn't going to shoot him anyway, so wasn't worried. About 10, I saw a buck cut across the field corner where the doe had been. Couldn't get a good view of him and he ignored calls and the decoy. I'd been hearing blue jays going crazy behind me and wasn't sure if it was. Buck or just an argument. Raised and lowered the rattle bag several times, stirring up leaves to try and get a more natural sound. Nothing came in. Blew the doe bleat a few times and then scanned the field. Spotted a buck trotting across the field, nose to the ground. Couldn't immediately tell if it was a shooter, but it was decent sized. Turned out to be the 7 pointer that won the little sparring match from my trail cam vid. I wasn't sure if I wanted to shoot or pass, but went ahead and pclipped the release to the d-loop. It was awesome watching him approach the decoy. He came around to face it head on and was 15 hards from me, but I didn't have a shot through the brush. He was licking his nose the whole time and was about 25 yards in front of the decoy, wich had been placed about 25 about 25 yards to my left and quartering to me. If I'd gotten in the stand earlier, I would have looked at the decoy and moved it farther out, but that didn't happen. Unfortunately, the winds were swirling. Not sure if he winded me or if he didn't like the fact th e decoy never moved, but he turned around and bolted. Still don't know if I would have drawn on him or let him walk, but regardless, he's still walking. I'm going to move the decoy farther out in a bit and spray it again with scent away, then I'm going to pull the scent drags again. Here's hoping the big buck comes in this afternoon!

3. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Stay on them Captain...it'll happen.
    Hoping to get out for a quick evening sit today...it's killing me sitting at work each day!

Our gun season opens next Friday the 16th...so I got a week to try and get out some more to make it happen...should be prime time!

4. Chiro_Archer

Chiro_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice Capt, keep it up man, I finally had some deer action this morning as well, had a buck chase in a doe at 820, she hid literally 8 yards from the base of my tree, he circled around all the scrub but apparently didn't want to put up that much effort to chase her, I even sprayed some extra estrus in the air to try and convince him she was worth persuing but it didn't happen, he grunted a couple of times, then when I grunted back she jumped up and moved about 10 yards to my left, so I switched tactics and bleated and she came closer, but then turned around and left, never got a good look at the buck but I think he was a younger one. Either way I was stoked to finally see deer moving again! And I also have come to the realization I need to move my stand further in so I know exactly where I am climbing next round! Good luck BZ!

5. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    Just had a very cool experience. I apparently got down from my stand too early, at 2pm. Moved the decoy to a slightly better spot, then sprayed him down really well with scent away, then walked accross the field to pull the scent drag along the field edge to try and draw deer to my stand. I'm halfway back at about 2:30 and spot a deer all the way across the field to the south. I stop walking and see the deer do this crazy frantic run back to the woods. It looked like a doe, so I figured she spotted me. I looked over the area and didn't see any other deer, so continued on my way. Then spotted a buck where the doe had been, so I stopped. He looked straight over my direction and the decoy was between us. He started walking toward the decoy. I had my bow with me and an arrow nocked, but I'm about 50 or 60 yards away from the decoy. However, it looked like he was going to circle around it, and might just come within 30 or 40 yards of me. As he got closer, I realized it was the 7 pointer again. I'm thinking I might just shoot him if I get the chance, but still not sure. Then I notice the other deer walking toward the decoy. Turns out it was the 4 pointer that spooked earlier. The 7 walks way wide, but the 4 walks straight at the decoy. Neither of them were looking at me, so I started trying to move closer very slowly. Then the 4 walks right up to the decoy and circles it, literally rubbing up against it. At this point the 7 heads off, then spots me. But he doesn't leave, he starts walking right toward me. He stopped about 30 or 40 yards away, then headed accross the field where I'd just come from. The 4 walked around the decoy a bit more, then headed into the woods on a trail 20 yards from my stand. Moral of the story...stay in your stands all day right now!

6. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great story, Captain. I've been curious about using decoys for deer hunting and your info makes an interesting case for possibly purchasing one. As for me, I went out today early morning until about 1230. Sat on the treeline with wide open corn field in front and a large grassy field behind. Rather chilly but bearable. Didn't see any deer but did have 30+ turkeys walk right under my stand not once, but twice. Definitely know where I'll be going for the spring turkey season. Hope everyone's season is going far better than mine. Out seven plus times and only seen deer once; happened to be while spot and stalking of all things.

7. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did get a hunt in last night...saw 5 from stand (4 does, 1 yearling buck), nothing close.
    At quitting time I began to hear chasing and grunting up the ridge in the leaves...sure enough 4-5 deer ran down about 60 yards once it was too dark and could only see bodies.

Once I made it back to my suburban, could see deer bodies in skylight of field...I drove out through field with brights on...there was a herd that took off, but one nice buck was on a doe and not moving...I drove at them to 80 yards with brights on...he then proceeded to breed that doe in my headlights and have a stare off with me...talk about LOVE Struck.

Pulled SD card from deer cam that was in that field...here is a pic of him:
    EK000831.jpg

8. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    Well, the decoy hasn't done squat this morning. Had a 3 or 4 point approach just before sunrise, butwalked on by. Saw the 7 run accross the field ignoring the decoy. Heard movement behind me, turned to throw out some grunts, then spotted a good buck running into the woods accross from me. Figured he was headed this way then saw me move. Was mad at myself. Then watched him hobble across another corner of the field. Crappy thing is I thought. He might go there and considered heading him off, but didn't. He looked injured, hobbling pretty badly. About a half hour later, I saw the 7 point come out of the same area, but was watching his back. Then I spotted 2 other bucks running accross that same corner, the one in the back being a monster. None of then paid any attention to the decoy. I want to hunt that corner, as I spotted severaal trails and tracks over there yesterday. Biggest problem is they're only on my cousin's land for a brief moment while they cross the corner of the field. I don't know the neighboring property owners, but spotted a stand about 30 yards the other side of the property line. May have to do some research and ask for permission to track deer ahead of time, but if they won't grant it, I don't really want to hunt that sppot and risk killing a deer I can't retrieve.

9. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you spray anything on your decoy (i.e. Estrus spray) or do they come with some kind of scent attractant? Just curious...

10. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    Right now it's set up as a buck. I spray it down really well with scent away to get rid of any human scent, then I put some buck urine on the tail. I have the fence jumper decoy from primos, as it's the only buck decoy gander mountain had. I might take the antlers off Sunday and figure out a way to stand the tail upright so it looks like a doe that's ready to be bred. I'll have to wash the tail, then use some estrous on it if I do that.

11. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Think I put my first buck down tonight, but due to darkness and poor lighting I am going back out tomorrow to look around for him. He's no monster, but will put some decent points up for us along with the doe I already registered. Anyways the shot is on video and I posted it in a thread in the bowhunting forum. Check it out and hopefully I will be able to find him tomorrow!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

12. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Figured I'd post it in our thread rather than the other. I can't see the shot from the video, unfortuantely. Was there a lot of blood where you found the arrow and did it have any bubbles in it signifying a lung shot? I know it's impossible to find anything with a cellphone as a light source, especially a blood trail. You did the right thing by backing out and waiting til morning. No sense in trying to push him when he's injured. I'd start right from your stand and work from there. I'm sure you'll find him piled up somewhere based on what you're saying about the blood on the arrow, etc. Good luck, brother. Keep us informed and we'll do our best to help from where we are.

13. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Thanks for the quick response. I'm just enjoying a few holiday microbrews and posting and talking with ny buddy who filmed it. Some of the blood was scarce but the good blood we found had bubbles in it. And yes, the best blood was where we found the arrow but there was nothing after that.

14. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well if you got bubbles, then you at least clipped a lung. That's good, because he should be dead by now. Unfortunately, he probably will be a bear to find if he went past 120 yards or so. Don't get frustrated and don't give up. I'm sure you'll find him, bud.

15. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Luckily, we don't have many coyotes here in MD, and the overnight temps are gonna be about 38-40 degrees so I'm very hopeful. I left the arrow at last blood and I'm hoping that during the day time I'll find him. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm confident, but gonna be a long night.

16. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    Just in case you check this from your phone and haven't found him yet, here's a couple tips.

1. Mark last blood, then walk circles around it, getting larger and larger until you find blood.

2. If #1 fails, start walking zig-zags across the trail he was taking.

3. If 1 and 2 both fail, head toward the nearest water source in a zig-zag fashion.

Good luck!!

17. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good point, Captain. I didn't even think to mention walking a grid around the last point of blood. :tu:

18. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    I did it all. Went with one of my buddies on the lease this morning to help cover more ground and also so he could help me follow any blood trail (red-green color blind). Same thing today as last night. Blood stopped where the arrow fell out about 100 yards from where I shot him. Him and I criss-crossed the property (55 acres) for over two hours glossing and checking for any disturbances. Looks like he will live another day.

19. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    Does anybody else have a problem with Team 23's entry that was posted last night? Here's the link to the post: http://forums.bowhunting.com/showth...ecard***-Updated-11-09-12&p=574213#post574213 It just doesn't seem right to me that this would count in the contest. Maybe it's just me, but there's no way in the world I would even submit that entry. Please let me know your thoughts, whether they're in line with mine or in complete disagreement.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  20. smctitan

Dislikes Received:
    Over a month later? I'm not sure about that. Way to patrol the leader boards buddy!