Team 9

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by kskcheche, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been really slow for me lately. Not sure why, could be the full moon, private land (rifle) opening all around me, more people in the woods. Either way, changing it up a bit tonight, going to try an older spot closer to some fields.

2. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys I tagged out today in Ohio
    Looking like 112-120 inch deer huge main 7pt with 2 kickers of right base
    image.jpg

3. dunncty22

dunncty22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work CMTRAV! We're holding near the top guys! Keep up the good work

4. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Trav, that deer looks like he has some age on him. Those kickers are sweet.

5. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go! Congrats on a nice buck!

I had a tough night in the deer woods. Long, long story short - another punk *** kid that hunts the same property I hunt - maybe 4 or 5 times a year, comes out last night and shoots at a 10 pointer at 40 yards, in thick brush with his climber on his back and misses. Sounds ethical to me.

I get a text 45 mins. after he was texting me this and he says he's shot a wide 8 point at 15 yardd. Same deer walks into my food plot limping - I try to put another shot on him but miss (sadly).

This is an 8 point that I have passed on 3 times this year. They still haven't found the deer.

Note: he was hunting with a cross bow that he bought three days ago - can you say "not sighted in". I'm beyond pissed off at this point. Not huting today because of it either - what a mess.

6. dunncty22

Dislikes Received:
    ugh twitch sounds like a tough situation. Unethical is the best thing to describe that. He assumed miss when he really hit.. not good atall. Hunters like that give the rest of us a bad rap. Hopefully the season turns around for you. I wont be out again until the 17th here in WI and that will be for gun season when I have another buck tag.

7. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Twitch, that really efing sucks man. Sounds like you put in countless hours and days on and off season learning and for this weekend warrior to come in without ethics, morals and knowledge just really stinks man. I would voice your opinion with the landowner on how you feel about it, that just really sucks man. But twitch you have a lot of season left and obviously bigger deer, I'm sure you can still make it happen man.

8. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats CMTRAV!!!!

Sorry to hear Twitch

I spend all weekend doing all day sits in IN and only saw one shooter, which is rare for where I am. The big boys were LOCKED down big time already. The only deer I would of considered shooting was a high 30's low 40's clean 8pt. I got down the last day to pack around 1pm and saw 2 120 class deer locked and bedded and 1 130 class, all within 80 yards of roads. The studs were no shows during daylight hours and none on cameras either. Im thinking about going back the 11-14 so hopefully they were just locked on the first few does cycling and once they all cycle it will blow up!

9. CMTRAV

Dislikes Received:
    Guys left scoring sheet at home but we got 115 5/8 scoring it as a main frame 7. We didnt know what to do about the 2 kickers off the right base. I will enter the buck tomorrow. Here are a couple pics
    deer1.jpg
    deer2.jpg

10. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Most of the time those kickers are deductions - I can't see them in the picture to say for sure. They are actually deductions on both net and gross. Might want to check with Fitz to be sure!

BTW, Congrats again - we have really put some points up in the last 2 weeks. Way to go guys!

11. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks - yeah it's pretty frustrating. I've only been hunting the land for 3 years, this kid has been hunting the land longer than I have but much, much less frequently. Another guy that has permission to hunt the property hunts it hard for one week prior to the gun season and during the rut and then he is gone - he basically hunts the property one week a year.

Given the about it's a less than ideal situation - that said, it really does produce quality bucks and if those guys were not around I could probably do a decent job managing the population/land.

I am going to talk to him this off season about getting those guys off the land. If I have to pay to lease the land I will at this point. Although the fiscally responsible side of me says leasing hunting land not a good investment. If I'm going to do that it makes a **** ton more sense to me for me to buy my own hunting land. Obviously a much more expensive investment - but just the way I see it. Either way, I can't/won't continue to hunt a property in which I put in all the time and others reap the rewards of my labor - that's not fair to me.

The ethics of this particular hunter had be all bent out of shape - I am good now, I've had a day to find myself again. lol But at the time I wanted to arrow this guys skull - I mean I was utterly amazed.

The buck was never recovered. 15 yards with a cross bow and I've got a wounded, young 8 pointer on my property... Nice.

12. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Based on Friday's updated scoring sheet only 3 other teams have posted 3 bucks to this point in the season. From the sounds of it a handful of us still have good oppertunities to tag bucks in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone planning on tagging a doe in last season?? We only have 3 does on the ground so far.

13. CMTRAV

Dislikes Received:
    I am on doe patrol now. I have 3 doe tags to fill between now and the end of the season.

14. dunncty22

Dislikes Received:
    I will probably dump a doe after gun season here. Odds are it will be early december.

15. CMTRAV

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys was looking back this afternoon at some of my trail pics. Here is a pic of the buck back in July.
    PICT0062.jpg

Super pumped about this whole encounter. Had incredible two weeks with the birth of my son, my daughters birthday and connecting on this guy. I am truly blessed with a great family and friends. Also a shout out to all of you guys. Good luck to everyone the rest of the season. I still need to put a doe on the board.

16. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    A blessed couple weeks for you indeed! They say the greatest experience in a man's life is the birth of his child. To top it off with a buck - one you've had on camera. That's a good huntin story if you ask me!!

Stay thankful!!

17. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a stud 7, with that brow being broken he easily would of been 120 which is big for a 7! Def a mature buck and a great buck to harvest. I checked cams today since im back in ohio and had a 140's 9pt under my stand again. This time in the middle of the night but I may crawl in there and try and decoy him out!

18. Ghilie

Ghilie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been out the past 4 days. I have very little action to say the least, just a doe here and there. The land I hunt really is just hardwoods, and there is lots of private with fields surrounding it. The deer seem to inhabit my main areas during the summer and early fall, and it seems they disappear around now as the does move to the only green food still up (grass fields) and the bucks are right behind them. I just hope I can catch them transitioning during the day sometime soon, I will be working my *** off for a piece of private over the off season.

Side note, my buddy put down a nice 120 inch 10pt on his land this afternoon. I'll get a pic here soon.

Trav that is really cool to have a buck on cam and then put him down. Great job and sounds like a couple of weeks you'll remember for a long time.

19. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I could just get a decent buck to walk in front of me we could really be in the running to place in this contest. I have a nice 140" class 9pt that keeps popping in and out of my creek bottom but is now nocturnal, so im trying to convince him he needs to come out during daylight to meet my Mathews! Got one camera to check today on a property I havent been to since mid Oct. Saw a nice 130" 10pt just across the street on another piece of property I have but hes not what im looking for. Hopefully something will show up here in the next few weeks to kill!

20. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    Going to hunt a property that I have never deer hunting in my life. It's a good deer county and my hunting buddy and I doubled on a couple turkeys this past spring. It's a bit of a gamble at this point but I've got to change something up.

Seen a doe, a 4 point buck and a yote this morning. Almost shot the yote, but didn't wanna screw my entire hunt up.