Entertaining Ideas,,tips suggestions thread

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by bloodcrick, Oct 24, 2012.

1. sharpbroadheads

sharpbroadheads Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll Be the first to check in....I'm pro staff member Jordan Howell on BHOD...my self and my wife Jessica hail from Indiana, although we are originally southerners from NC and still hunt there too. I think this sub forum is a great idea

2. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think showing the set up would be pretty cool. You guys explain well what you are sitting over and all that, which is great, but doing something like taking the google map view or something and pointing out a few things would add a bit to it...like where they are bedding, where the wind is going, why you chose the spot, all that. Oh, and yes, put PT on!

3. xtreme16

xtreme16 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be the next to check in. My name is chase Larson and I am part of the father son team for BHOD with my dad Todd Larson (ttraveler). I was born in witchia Kansas then moved to northern Wisconsin a few years ago. I am 17 years old and am looking forward to talking to everyone on the forums! Good luck and be safe to everyone this fall!

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Guys - definitely some great suggestions here! We've got a few things that we're going to be be working on in the future, some of which have already been mentioned.

Just a few things to keep in mind as to why we do or do not include certain things.

1. Maps. We would love to include more maps and graphics into the show showing how/where we hunt but let's face it, hunters are secretive about their spots. We're just like anyone else - some of us hunt very small tracts of land or are surrounded by other people who keep an eye on everything we do. Posting maps of where we're hunting, what our deer are doing (bedding/feeding, etc) and where our stands are at for the world to see is just a recipe for problems. You don't often see people posting maps of their hunting property for others to look at. I wish it wasn't the case, but that's just the unfortunate reality of the world we live in.

We would love to take a more graphical representation of our hunting areas like In Pursuit does (I really like that), but those graphics take days if not weeks to create. With one editor and 4 days to edit an entire 22 minute show there's just no time to do it.

2. Showing more setup time/behind the scenes stuff. This was my goal from the beginning of the show, but as we found out it's incredibly tough to do. We have a staff of around 20 guys right now, and they all have good hunting action to share with us. In light of this, we try to squeeze in as much hunting footage as possible. Really setting a hunt up and telling a story takes a lot of time. Right now our shows are around 22 minutes each. After intro/outro and our interviews in the studio we have about 16 minutes to work with. Fitting in 4-5 hunts you've got 3-4 minutes each to get it done. Believe me, we try to fit in as much of the "why" as possible, but in some cases we just have to leave stuff out. It's the nature of the beast. We will continue to do our best with this though! I hate shows that are just nothing but kill, kill, kill and there's no talk about where, why, or how they're doing it.

If you guys ever see us go down that path, please, speak up! Sometimes we get so caught up in the heat of the moment and trying to get the show done in time that we miss things.

3. That brings us to including videos submitted to the show. Again, we just don't have much time to work with in the show. We probably have 5-6 hours of footage submitted each week from team members that gets cut down to the 16 or so minutes you see on the show.

Plus, it creates a lot more work for our editor to get the footage submitted and cataloged, look at it all, figure out which hunt is the best, and then edit it and fit it into that week's show. We barely made our deadline as it is, so throwing another hunt into the mix just won't work.

HOWEVER, it's something we may do for next year. My idea is to accept hunts during the off season (Spring/Summer) and have them edited and ready to plug in each week when the show airs. This may coincide with the addition of a few new team members in some other parts of the country as well. I'm currently in the process of planning out how that will all work. Most likely we'll accept video applications sometime in the late winter/early spring and hope to make some decisions by the middle of next summer. I really want to add some diversity (East Coast/South/West) for next year.

4. Getting guys to post on the Forum. Again, a great idea and something we're going to work more towards. The thing to remember is that not everyone is the world is a Forum poster. People have jobs, wives, kids, and of course hunting to keep them busy. Some of our team members simply don't have the time to post on the Forum, or maybe the desire. I'll do my best to push some of these guys to get on here and chat, but no guarantees.

Our primary goal from Day 1 was to show bowhunting as it really happens to all of us. We hunt on the weekends and when the wives let us. We hunt properties just like everyone else, sometimes they're better and sometimes they're worse. We wanted to show the highs and lows, the hits and the misses. All of us eat, sleep and breathe bowhunting and I really hope that shows through on the show.

Thanks again guys, keep the suggestions coming!

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you. I saw this hunt before I ever met Dan in person, and to date it's one of my favorite hunts ever. It's also about the only piece of footage worth watching on that horrible DVD. :lol:

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Nobody really cares about the rest of us. We all play 2nd fiddle to the G-man. So long as he keeps whacking and stacking, we'll keep rolling on. :sheep:

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    good stuff.
    I joined the forum this year after discovering BHOD on ROKU and also getting back into archery after years of exile. The best part about BHOD is that while you work product placement/endorsements into the action, it actually adds to the experience rather than distracting from it like so may other hunting shows. I also appreciate how you guys show 3-5 kills or good encounters per episode. For the most part, your pro-staff members are really relate-able- you guys (and gals) seem to go through the same emotions and experiences that guys like me and the guys I hunt with go through. I really appreciate your "tell it like it is" attitude when it comes to shot selection/placement. No other hunting shows are so brutally honest when it comes to that, and I appreciate it. It's just real.
    Other hunting shows seem to mainly feature loud mouths or guys who go on engineered hunts that most folks will never experience. You guys seem like guys I would like to have a beer with around a campfire, swapping stories.
    That being said, I would like to see maybe an additional 8 minutes of footage to include stand set up strategies, (maybe micro-level maps, even as small as 100yd radii.) Small tweaks, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

8. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone, Dean Krueger here, just signing in and telling you a little about myself. I see myself as a family man that lives to hunt. I'm married with two kids, work as a Manufacturing Engineer, and hunt about a 1/4 of the time I used too. My priorities have changed, and my family comes first now, but when I can squeeze a hunt in, I'll do it. I'm sure no different than alot of you. I have the privilege to hunt a couple of farms close to home that I have gotten permission to hunt, and without that privelege I wouldn't have had the success I've had over the years I've been hunting. So like alot of you, I have to do it the old fashioned way and knock on doors to get permission to hunt somewhere, and have made some good friendships in doing so. So other than that I eat, sleep, and think about bowhunting 365 days a year, and can't wait for the next couple of weeks to unfold. Good luck, shoot straight, and be safe out there. - BHOD!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    360 days a year? What do you think about the other 5? :poke:

10. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hahahaha:p

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

11. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Nice catch JZ. Those are the 5 days I promised my wife that I wouldn't think about bowhunting! She believes it, that's all that matters! If I don't, I get this >>>------->:bash:

12. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Something that I think would be cool to add in and wouldn't take up much clip time is a "Tip of the Week" or a Q&A of the week, such as taking a question off the forums and answering it on the show....either way, I still enjoy the show and really hope the temps start dropping here in Bama so I can start seeing some deer move!

13. Nodak_swamp_buck

Nodak_swamp_buck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    1st, I like the shooting part. watching the animal coming in, figuring out where it was hit, if there was pass-through, how far it went after the shot, the recovery. Some guys are great about discussing the shot, some not. There was an episode where todd literally tea-kettled a buck, and didn't really mention it.

2nd, everyone must buy lighted noks.

3rd, and more descriptions on where people are sitting and the setup, for instance, us in ND would say I"m sitting about 3 miles from the nearest tree, on the edge of a 30 acre cattail slough 60 yards from my "buck on bag" clover plot that borders a 100 acre corn field.

ND - where there is a pretty girl behind every tree.

14. Frank / Pa

Frank / Pa Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did not read through any of the previous post so i apologize if this sounds like an echo....echo....but how about predator hunting with the bows. I know have predator hunted for several years and never had the coconuts to tale my bow...Man its hard enough with a gun. But a TRUE predator hunt with the bow would be pretty cool. JM2C

15. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome suggestions guys, keep em rolling in!

16. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did you like Richies kill last week then?

I have a suggestion: How about you put Dan Richardson in the credit under Pro Staff! :whip:

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    We'll do that as soon as he kills a deer.

18. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO I didnt even know it wasent there,,,will do JZ,, Soon im tellin ya!!

19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Btw- I thought TG and JZ did a good job in e14 of the setup and explaining/educating as I mentioned earlier. And JZ even mentioned the supporting footage...weird.

The yoke kill in e13 was good variety.

I do find lighted nocks easier to see the shot/hit than the unlit nocks...tree limbs are worse :) :poke:

20. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Before or after a hunt I'd like to see some detailed satellite images of the area and why that spot was chosen and what the entrance and exit is. More teaching than entertainment.