** Team 2 Thread **

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by cmkilo02, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Chiro_Archer

Chiro_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My best friend had an extra set that he gave to me bc it was WAY too big, so A.) it was free,haha, B.) it had a decent green n tan color to it. After everything I researched I read alot of people say you want less burlap n add vegetation, so that was my big decision for my first build, if I do another one I will probably do a woodland camo base instead. So it comes down to it was free pretty much, can't beat that,lol. But yea, I have pictures for the whole process that I am going to post once it is done to show everything I did for it.
    Anybody been out this week at all? I am headin out to a new farm tomorrow afternoon after work, my buddy is lettin me sit a stand with him over a bean field, and he has been getting some decent activity, dunno if he has any buck activity or not yet, but we will see!

2. TeamTitanium42

TeamTitanium42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Chiro/Captain, congrates to both of you. It's a lot of fun for me to get on here and read all your stories.

I was filming this weekend for my cousin and had an experience I might never top. We woke up sat morning to hard rain so we decided to pull our stands and move them to a different farm for a night hunt. It worked out great with all the rain knocking down our scent. I was done hanging them by noon and we were back in the stands after a quick shower by 3pm sat night. Within 30 minutes we saw our first group of bucks show up in the field. My cousin said he would not shoot anything but a nice 8 or better, so I knew he would be picky, but you just never know. It seemed like every time I turned around there was another group of 3 or 4 bucks stepping out from a pocket into the field. By the end of the night we had filmed 15 bucks out in the field with 5 being big enough to tag. Unfortunatly none of those came down the funnel we were set up on, but that is hunting. The most supprising thing was, we never saw a single doe all night.

I will not have a bow in my hand until Nov 3, when I have 2 weeks off work to hunt our lease in Ohio. The countdown is on

3. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I made it out to my spot today around 1030. I decided not to use my stand due not trusting the harness that came with the stand, as well as not scouting as well as I would have liked to determine a good spot to hang it. So, I start heading into the woods from my truck. The wind is coming towards me and blowing towards the road I parked on. No worries about being down wind of any deer. For the next hour or so, I walk a few steps, stop to look around, and continue. Eventually, I start getting to an area that I have always found signs of deer movement. In some tall grass to my left I see two brown blobs. They're probably about 60 yards away or so; however, I'm not sure what they are. I start creeping closer and get to about 40 or so yards away. I'm so heavily focused on the brown blobs that I failed to notice the big @$$ stick in front of me and step on it. That's when I notice a decent sized doe and a rather large buck flip their tails up and take off. I didn't get a good look at the rack but I definitely saw antlers. So I stop and hunker down for awhile. After 20 or so minutes, I get up and start heading that direction, keeping down wind. After another 15 or so minutes (I'm not sure for how long, but if felt like eternity), I spook the doe again and see her run up and over a little hill. She hadn't gone more than 30 yards from where I saw them initially. So, I continue after her slowly and trying to be as quiet as I can. I crest the hill and I see her looking at me. That's when she runs across the road into the yard of a lady I know. Not that this lady would care if I went on her property but I thought better of it, as she butts up to farm land of someone I don't know. Never saw the buck, though. He took off into an open field and was long gone. Got out of the woods by about 2:00 or so. Not a successful hunt necessarily, but a very enjoyable one. :moose:

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like an enjoyable afternoon. I think it's more fun, not to mention challenging, to try and stalk them.

5. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    doe down!!! i'll post more later!!!!

6. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    so friday my buddy put my on one of his stands only to find out the combine was picking beans less than 50yds away! so quick i txted my buddy who used to live on a farm to see how deer react to farming equip. he said i should be fine and just sit tight. wouldnt you know it here she comes but what i didnt know is Tank (littleshooter) missed her at 23yds. i wasnt gonna miss and eat tag soup again like last yr! smacked her and she ran about 50 yds. sooooo gald! i dont get much time to hunt cause of work so i was fortunate we had a bye this weekend!
    exit wound
    [​IMG]

7. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work, Isaiah! Let's keep taking them down, team 2!

8. Chiro_Archer

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go Isaiah! Nice job man. Just for fun, what is everybody using this season for broadheads? I have Grim Reapers & T3's, I also have the Killzone's to test out, lil iffy about a 2 blade but I have seen and read a lot of great things, so I figured why not give them a shot.

9. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    I use G5 Striker. Worked last year, worked this year. No point changing.

10. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice doe, Isaiah and congrats! As for broad heads, I use both Montecs and Muzzy 100 grain fixed.

11. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Isaiah, I've seen your very limited hunting time over the years, so Way to get it done...Nice Job! Hope you find some time to stick a buck!

Broadheads: used Muzzy 100 grain for 12+ years, still shoot them some - Love 'em, but last couple seasons using Carbon Express Torridd SS, originally bought them years ago just for turkeys, ended up trying them on deer and results have been great (plus they are 3 for $12.99)

Running the Kansas City Marathon with my wife this weekend so no hunting again - but stand time should pick up the following weekend. Keep the updates coming!

Go Bears!

12. cmkilo02

cmkilo02 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    BZ, good luck with the marathon, brother. Hope you're not too sore after! I was hoping to do a couple half marathons this year but work got way too busy and overtime was plentiful.

13. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    im still using shuttle t heads. prob my last year with them though. one of the smallest cutting diameters, but i love the fact that they are fixed and what i'ved used most of my bowhunting life. sad to say i may make the switch to rage.... mktg finally got to me.

14. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    A buddy that lives about an hour south of me said the rut appears to be in full swing. He shot a good size 8 pointer yesterday and said that when he went to get the deer, another buck was standing near it grunting. He got within 20 yards of the deer while on a 4 wheeler before the deer decided to leave. He put the gut pile and hind legs in the field to hunt coyotes last night and when he spotlighted the area, there was another buck standing over the legs sniffing at the tarsal glands. The deer are acting like it's the first week of November. Man, I need to get out there.

15. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you located? I'm in MD, and I agree its coming early but I think we are still a week away.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

16. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Indiana. I'm surprised it would be hitting this early. However, I have the last week of Oct and first week of Nov off work. I'll be hitting it hard those two weeks. Was hoping to get another stand set up this week, but the beans still haven't been harvested, so I can't drive the truck back to the spot. The old ladder stand is a bit too heavy and cumbersome to carry all the way back to the spot where I want it. May try some ground hunting if necessary.

17. Chiro_Archer

Dislikes Received:
    I will be putting a scrape dripper out probably the beginning of next week, was going to this weekend but fiance and her family invited me up to WI to their house for the weekend since she is on break, so Edgerton here I come haha. Need to vent a lil to you guys too, I surprised her with an Early christmas gift, bought her a new bow bc she was aching to be able to shoot a lil further, purchase a hoyt vixcen, and was happy about the purchase.....that was 8 1/2 weeks ago and still NO BOW! I have talked to the guys at the shop a couple of times, and found out apparently that Hoyt ran out of limbs in her poundage for the all black, but seriously over 2 months?! The bow is already paid in full, I think I am going to go down their tonight since she came up and surprised me to visit last night and see what is going on. I REALLY wanted to support this shop bc they have always been a great set of guys to work with but I have not been getting any return calls, or any more information and its been 2 weeks since I last called and got this figured out, and she is PISSED bc we are selling her bow this weekend to our future maid of honor, so she isn't going to have anything to practice with till she passes her field day. Phew.....ok so any advice on what you guys would do about this situation? Sorry for the rant, just been getting frustrated with the situation. Hope you guys have good luck this weekend if you are going out! BZ Good luck with your race brother!!

18. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Going Monday to try and secure a new spot to hunt. The area grows some serious deer and there is very little pressure. So much so that he's got a herd of 40-50 he wants thinned out. It's only 7 acres but it backs to a reservoir. It came along just in time for the rut too. Hopefully next week I'll have something to post!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

19. Chiro_Archer

Dislikes Received:
    Good Luck Titan! I am testing out the new ghillie tomrrow, FINALLY finished everything on it, added some netting that I cut out leaf patterns to attach to it, I will have pictures up of the whole process soon, it was QUITE the process but its finally DONE! Anybody going out this weekend?

20. Captain Morgan

Dislikes Received:
    I won't be hunting again until the 29th. I took two weeks off work and will be hunting every day except Wednesdays. I have my daughter overnight Tuesdays, then have to take her to school and pick her up after on Wed, so there won't be any time to hunt on Wed for me those 2 weeks. But I'll be hitting it hard the rest of the time!