---------team 8----------

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by CleChevy, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm liking this hunt logging stuff:

Hunts so far this year: 11
    Morning: 5
    Evening: 6
    Total Hours: 31
    -------------------------------
    Bucks seen: 4
    Does seen: 11
    Fawns seen: 8
    Unidentified: 9
    Total Deer Sightings 32
    (some deer are seen more than once)
    Deer taken: 0
    Average Temp (across all hunts): 69.6 deg F
    Weather Conditions Breakdown: 63% Clear; 27% Cloudy; 10% Storm/Severe Weather
    Number of Disturbances : 1 out of 11 hunts

Also might go back and add moon phase data since I have all my dates recorded.

2. Matt / PA

Matt / PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hahaha! Belated congrats! I'd be more than happy with that guy, nice work! Shoot a couple does and bring his score up to 200" ;)

I haven't gotten back out since first day and won't this weekend either. Kathi and I are off to Pittsburgh for the Eagles / Steelers game this weekend. Should be interesting. I'm a hardcore Eagles fan and she's a more than hardcore Steelers fan.
    Either way I'm gonna lose! LOL

Hope to do a 3 day weekend hunting next weekend. We have plenty of deer and I should be good for a couple does at least pretty quick once I get my butt back in a stand.

3. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck Antlerman. Way to get us started. Just got back from Wyoming. Shot a decent antelope with .270.

I have a wedding I'm in this weekend and then back home for Sunday afternoon hunt. Will be first time out with bow. I was actually ready to come back early from Wyoming so I could hunt deer, but we had others still needing to tag out. Shot my antelope on Monday.

I was going to try to go quick this morning, but after a 12 hour drive I didn't think I could get up. Also, didn't have time to track if it was needed because of Wedding rehearsal.

Good luck to everyone this weekend. Get some blood on those arrows.

4. mrantlerman

mrantlerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great job on the Goat! I shot one two years ago in South Dakota. Lots of fun! I bet your ready to hunt in Iowa. I've got 3 points for the Decorah-Waukon area (I think zone 9 or 10) and shed hunt there yearly. What a great place. Good luck

5. hammerman

hammerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck this weekend guys!

6. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    Looking forward to getting out this afternoon! Should be mild temps and chance of rain has diminished.

7. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What are you using to to log everything? Just paper or app?

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went out last night to the food plot. Made a couple of stupid mistakes in the stand. Around 6:00 I saw about 7 deer in a plot 150 yards away so I got down and crawled into position. I was at the opening to the big plot, an easy 20 yard shot but they never wanted to go through and then went back into to the woods.

Watching the Os Rangers game last night (Lets go Os) and didnt get to bed until late so just skipped this morning but Ill be headed out this afternoon.

Tomorrow Im going to Game 1 of the Os Yankess playoff series. Pretty pumped about that.

9. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I didn't go out at all today. Up late last night and wanted to sleep and can't get out this afternoon spending some family time. Tomorrow ill be out in the morning and afternoon

10. mrantlerman

mrantlerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I took a friends son out this morning for the youth hunt in Wisconsin. He scored on his first deer ever. It was a fun hunt for him and I both.

DSCN2879.jpg

I also checked a camera I have in the oaks where the acorns are loaded. With my tag filled I sure hope my dad gets a chance at this guy! This is the first good buck I have on camera this year. Maybe I should have held off filling my tag so soon.

PICT0098.jpg PICT0099.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  11. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Taking kids and seeing their reactions is an awesome experience.. Congrats to him on his first kill.

That is a monster. Good luck to your dad!

12. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome taking him out, he's gonna be hooked for life now

13. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Got out for the first time yesterday afternoon. Really enjoyed being up in the tree on a new set. 5 minutes in I had a small doe run underneath my tree. Saw several deer at different distances. A small young deer at 15 yards broadside for about a minute almost got an arrow in the air. Wanted to get a nice doe yesterday. Got one chance at a nice doe. Broadside at 25 yards, but it was right at the point in time where bucks usually come out so I didn't draw. Kicked up 2 young bucks in the corn while driving into my spot.

Had a great time in the tree. This next weekend will be full of hunting. No more weddings! Thank God! Hope to get out a couple times this week, but that may not happen after being gone from work all last week.

14. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I didn't hunt as much as I would've liked to. Went to the Os Yankees game last night. Left the house at 3 and because of a rain delay, I didn't get home until 3 this morning. Now its pouring rain so I wont be going tonight either.

15. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went to the farm over the weekend. Passed on a cool looking 8 point that I have AWESOME pics of...hard to not shoot him.... Also had a few Does around but no shots were taken!

[​IMG]

16. Slider46

Dislikes Received:
    That is a cool looking 8!

Welp this morning was a short sit.

Had a good spot with good wind and had my stand hung by 6am this morning. Got in and could not get it adjusted correctly. The tree was just too far forward. Didn't really notice it until I was in it. Didn't have enough time or the motivation to pull it all down and setup in another tree so I sat on the ground until about 8am.

Did a little still hunting through the pine thicket I was sitting in. Then I saw it - dead deer laying in the field. There was one other person hunting there so i figured he shot one and i'd go take a look to see if he had found it yet / needed help. Turns out it most likely died last night - no entrance wound and she was pretty blown up. Probably got hit last night or the day before and ran in the field and died. Sucks too - she was pretty big.

So by then I figured I'd just pull my stand and head home early. Nice and cool though and i'll be heading out this evening. I almost always see more action in the evening at this place anyway.

17. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Being gone from work for a week isn't good for hunting this week. Looks like Friday afternoon will be the next hunt for me. I guess I have time to shoot my bow some more at 3D buck. Can't complain too much since I was hunting all last week. Hoping to get a doe down this weekend and get some more meat for the freezer.

Hoping for a real good cold spell to come through and get some more movement. Corn is almost out in most places. Should really help my spot that I hunt.

Good luck to anyone getting out this week.

18. CleChevy

CleChevy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well finally had what I think was a nice buck come in. Was dark but had a big body just couldn't see the rack. Had my pack half way down the tree when I spotted a big body comin in. Came within 40 yards so little out if range but boy did buck fever get me I was shaking all the way back to the truck haha

19. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a buck this evening in the neighbor's winter wheat food plot... could NOT get him to cross the hedgerow to come over and see me! Won't be going out tomorrow... wife has a doctor's appt. I'll be out all day Friday though! Temps are droppin' and the woods are getting ripe for some big buck movement!

20. Matt / PA

Matt / PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Will be back out this weekend but not sure where I'm gonna sit.......supposed to as of now have a strange SSE wind direction but with cool temps.

Received this in my PM inbox from Fitz about the contest and he just wanted me to pass it along as a reminder:
    Captains,

Please remind your teams to include the datre and time of their kills. I've been PMing those that have left it out, but it's getting tiresome. I update the scorecard on Friday mornings, from now on I'll leave out their score for that week if the info is missing.

Thanks for your help!

Fitz