Decent priced good bow.

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by grizzly1530, Oct 4, 2012.

1. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys,
    I've been looking around these forums for a while, but can't really find an answer to my question. I am brand new to bow hunting, I just shot a bow for the first time 2 weeks ago. My friend gave me an older bow from 2003 to use for this year to just practice and get a feel for shooting. I want to get a new bow, but most of the reviews I see are about how great the bows that are $800 and up are. I want some reviews on some of the cheaper ones, like the PSE Stinger 3G, the Diamond Razor Edge. Parker Sidekick extreme, PSE Chaos, PSE Rally, Bear Legion, and so on. These are the bows that entire package are 299.99-499.99 in Bass Pro. Is that an acceptable price range? Can I find anything of value in that range? I would also like the people who have tried these bows, but bought others to weigh in, telling why they didn't like these bows. Thanks in advance, I appreciate the help!

2. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a new hoyt rampage for $650. I love it. Fast, quiet, smooth, light.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know where he can get that bow for $299-$499?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

4. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 2012 Bear Legion. Absolutely love this bow. But that's why I chose it out of the bunch I tried. I love the shootability and feel of this bow. Its got a smooth drawl and feels solid at the back wall and is just very comfortable in my hands.. It is also a pretty quiet bow straight out of the box without added supresion items.. all in all I shot quite a few bows and decided on the legion because of the total package of the bow and the price definitely helped. I actually preferred it over a good bit of the more expensive bows.. hope this helps. But what comfortable for me may not be for u so get out there and try em out.. :) good luck.

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have purchased a few of the Razor Edges for kids and my girlfriend. I think for the price, ease of adjustments and upgrade option I think it is an awesome bow. Im not going to tell you to go out and buy it or any other bow. You are gonna get a bunch of responses from people who know exactly what you should shoot because it is what they shoot and they know everything. No one bow is best for everyone. Only you can decide what feels best and is in your budget. Yes if that is in your budget I would test the Razor Edge but also test a bunch if other bows. Mission, PSE, Bear and many others make bows in the price range you mentioned. Shoot several and see what you like best. All will do the job of putting down animals as long as you can shoot consistently and accurately. Good luck with your search!

6. brian5794

brian5794 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mission makes some really good bows, my friend has on and it shoots really good

7. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the replies. I planned to shoot them all before I make a decision. I just really wanted to know if there were any that were either blow me away awesome, or straight trash.

8. Billy-Kayla Pulsifer

Billy-Kayla Pulsifer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ive got the 2012 stinger 3G RTH package for 535 off huntersfriend, cant say i have a single regret in my purchase!

9. Evilstuff

Evilstuff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got a new mission riot and love it the whole I think bare its 399.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mission bows vote here as well.

11. bauer6

bauer6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i would try to find a bear strike if you can last years model bow thats going for 350-400 for the whole package. Its actually a really nice bow for the money, Ive shot it and its smooth, quiet, and quick so if you can find that bow im pretty sure you would be pleased with it!

12. UNIPanther043

UNIPanther043 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Stinger 3G

I've also just purchased the PSE Stinger 3g. Shoots very well so far, but as you've pointed out you should shoot it first before you buy something. I have yet to get a deer with it, but as long as the bow doesn't get buck fever I should be fine.

13. Adam Winters

Adam Winters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    MISSION!!!! You will not be disappointed! They are made by Mathews and are great bows for the money. I just bought a Mission Venture and i love it! Bare its $500 and i got one of the accessories packages offered by Mission and custom made arrows for $800. My bow will perform and is a tight, quiet bow. I made payments over a few months at my archery shop and am very happy i chose Mission. They are draw length specific on the cam so you must know your draw length. I have mine set at 60# draw weight, it will go up to 70# or down to 35#.

14. captain71

captain71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. Trill

Trill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the same boat as the OP. I have an eye on the PSE Brute X RTS. Anyone care to share experience with this model?

16. JLL

JLL Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy has the PSE stinger and it is a pretty nice bow. I had a hard time choosing between the Bear Encounter and the Bowtech Assassin R.A.K. I ended up going with Bowtech assassin and i love it. Just my 2 cents.

17. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would search around the web for a new bow but is a model that is a few years old. I purchased my bow in 2010 and I was a brand new in box 2008 model. Price went from 650 to 250. It's a 2008 Ross cardiac and I love this bow to death and it still shoots like a dream. You can ask some of those guys at the last GTG I was at ;)

18. Flooper888

Flooper888 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This. Mission Bows are excellent, and you get really good bang for your buck. They are very fairly priced. I love it. It is like the sub-company of Mathews. Great bows. Here is a picture of my 2011 Mission Venture. Check them out for sure.

bowpicc.jpg

19. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't go wrong with a mission and can't beat the price!!!!

20. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    me as well!