NAP Apache

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Muzzy Man, Sep 12, 2012.

1. 220

220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, the Apache rests have a loc-tite "patch" on those adjustment bolts/screws. That "patch" is there specifically to eliminate the likelihood of those bolts working loose. The issue can be, often, when the person puts the rest on and tightens down those bolts upon adjusting their rest, they feel the resistance from the "patch", and they think the bolts are fully anchored down tight—when in reality—they've simply hit that patch, and it's offering resistance as they tighten the bolts down.

What you have to do is go ahead and crank down and force the bolt on through that patch so that those bolts/screws are fully tightened down!

I actually encountered that very scenario two years ago at the BH.com G2G shoot. One of the shooters there was having an issue, and I immediately grabbed his rest and realized it wasn't fully tightened down. Cranked it through the patch and bottomed it out ... problem solved.

My advice is that when you get to a point where you "feel" it's tight ... go ahead and crank it down a bit more, see if in fact that it's completely anchored down. The loc-tite patch will offer quite a bit more resistance than one might expect, so some folks simply stop once they hit the patch, and don't quite get it fully tightened.

Like I said, I've seen it firsthand myself on a couple of occasions, even with my own Apache three years ago. You just have to make sure to be mindful to fully tighten it down. When you first feel some resistance as if it's fully tight—go ahead and give it a bit more bite and see if in fact you can turn through that "patch" and get it fully tightened.

Hope that helps!

2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I am thinking the set screws were added later because NAP knew they had a problem and that the patch was insufficient. If they put a handle on it to make it tunable, an extra force should not be needed to keep it tight nor should archers have to check it after every shot. The set-screw being there is a great idea but they should have taken back their old ones and replaced them.

3. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy,

True confession, checked my bow last night and it has several set screws spaced evenly on each knob. At any rate, said screws can't do more than ensure the "Knobs" grip the shank of the fastening bolt. Perhaps if the set screws are loose, the knobs are rotating on the shank witout providing enough torque to overcome the patch friction?

Anyway, I just wanted to correct the misinformation I put out.

4. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I am pretty sure everything was completely tight, especially after it came loose the first time. I used an allen wrench in one of the extra holes and pulled it really tight and it came loose again within 20 or so shots. I loved the way my arrows grouped with it and BH tuning is a snap. I think I may re-install it this weekend but will probably use safety wire to hold it down once everything is re-tuned.

Thanks for your honesty and for the input.

5. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Okay I reinstalled it and it seems much quieter than it was previously. I think the draw cord was also raising the prong way too early before and may have caused part of the issue, though I am not sure about that. I did learn about the removable adjustment arms and can actually put both on the same adjustment screw to get more leverage to tighten it down. I may use some type of locking device like safety wire just to make double sure it doesn't come loose again. Thanks everyone, especially Jason at NAP for all your help.

6. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jason,

The eagle has landed and the assistance is greatly appreciated.

7. 220

220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal. Glad you got em! Good luck out there this season!

8. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Okay... I think I may have missed something I should have caught. The rest seemed to be the culprit. At least I blamed the rest but I had a bow issue where the string snapped and a cam bushing was gone which I think may have caused the string to snap.

Anyway, I apologize for my negative comments about the Apache coming loose. I should have had the entire bow rechecked when something changed. I could have saved myself a good whack on the arm and lost practice time.

Please forgive me Jason for smearing in any way the reputation of a fine company and thanks for your support and feedback.

9. 220

220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No worries. Just glad you got the bow fixed and can be confident when you hit the woods! Good luck this season!