NAP Apache

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Muzzy Man, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, I bought a NAP Apache last year and had it mounted. It keeps coming loose and/or falling off no matter how much I tighten and re-check the adjustment levers. I was hitting great with both field tips and BHs and even with a bare shaft out to 30. I finally had enough and put my WB back on... Anyone else have theirs do this, could it have been set up improperly or am I doing something wrong? I am now shooting 4" feathers through a WB... which by the way are holding up remakebly well.

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same rest but never any issues. I unscrewed the little handle on the adjustment knobs to prevent accidental loosening of the knobs...could this be the case for you?

I recently tore apart my apache, sights, quiver, and every other accessory and replaced all bolts w ss bolts to prevent the rust issues ive been having.

3. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know but my rest coming loose is not something I want rolling around in my head all season. You unscrewed the levers on the windage and center shot adjustment screws? Tell me more about that.

4. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I took mine off too. Just twist the little handles and they'll come off.

Sent from iPhone

5. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Was there a problem with yours coming loose?

6. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No problems with mine coming loose. Maybe you can remove the "knobs" and uses wrenches to tighten both ends of the hardware?

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The knob is threaded onto the adjustment bolt so you can't remove it, but you can unscrew the little levers out of the knob. I had no problems w loosening, but that may be because I unscrewed them before ever firing the bow. My friend warned me it would be very easy to loosen the knobs if the levers were left on, so I did it as a preventative measure.

8. in2blood

in2blood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had the exact same thing to mine last year the night before opening elk season. A buddy of mine had it happen this year while practicing. Both times the rest fell off during the shot which honestly scares the crap out of me. Once I got mine re-adjusted I used a pair of non-marring pliers and torqued the levers as much as I could to keep it from moving around. I will be getting a QAD for next year, I hate having this issue always on the back of my mind. I have gotten in the habit of checking it after every shot which I should not have to do.

9. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I shot fingers with a flipper for my first 20 years of bowhunting. I never had to worry about keeping stuff tight or losing my release etc... I have never quite gotten the hang of using technogadgets but newer bows pretty much seem to mandate them. I am just old and stubborn I guess.

10. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lok-tite??? I haven't use an Apache, but any accessory of mine that has issues with loosening gets the BLUE Lok-tite treatment, if it persists beyond that, it gets the circular file treatment....

11. crxwolski

crxwolski Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He beat me to it. Thats what I was going to say to use.

12. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Okay Lok-tite I know about as well as safety wire which I am also considering. What is the circular file treatment?

13. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think they speak of the trash can.... I'm with you though, I used fingers and no sight for years and now I have all this "stuff" to deal with. :(

14. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Man I was deadly back then. 80 lb draw, feathered 2219 arrows, 145 grain arrows moving around 190 feet per second... tops, 6/32 white painted, pan head screws for sight pins. A springy rest with mole skin on it.

You know... the older I get, the better I used to be! :confused:

15. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hear that Muzzy Man. I took my biggest antelope yet at 40 yards... no range finder, no sights, no release. I'd be lost without that stuff now I'm sure. Of course, all the gear I had was a bow, binos and a knife. None of the other stuff came to mind.

16. Jim W

Jim W Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Was shooting with my new APACHE last evening on my deck when I heard a metallic thund. Looked down and saw the small knob you turn for elevation adjust at me feet. After much bewilderment I saw on the knob a very small set screw and,with the small allen wrench which came with the rest, solved the problem. Also put a heavier allen wrench through the hole on each of the tightening arms and levered them tight enough so as to never come loose. Maybe others of you might do the same, as I read you have encountered similar problems. Great rest but do tighten things down and recheck often.

17. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Are you saying there is a set screw to lock it down once it is tuned that will keep it from moving? I don't see that well, but that would make sense. I tried the allen wrench trick but it still comes loose after a few shots.

18. Jim W

Jim W Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes Muzzy Man. On the side of each of small round heads you would turn to make an elevation or horizontal change there is a small set screw. The small wrench sent with the rest is the one to use and will stop those knobs from coming loose. Use a very small phillips screw driver on the end of the long silver screw holding the elevation block as you tighten the vertial knob and a very small reg. screw driver in the end of the long silver screw which holds the horizontal block. If you don't have a micro-adjust rest none of this applies or would make any sense to you. Good luck, Jim

19. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I checked and do not have set screws on mine. I think I am going to drill and tap some which will be easy enough to do. I also checked and the levers do come off easily. I am trying to decide whether I want to put it back on or not but IMO, I shouldn't have to resort to altering a rest made by a respected company to keep it from falling off. That's just a bit cheezy.

20. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have set screws either...bought it the first year of production. Maybe the set screws were added in later models to fix the issue you are having?