Team 31

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by AlexB32, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You wouldnt happen to know any of the Olson family from sterling would you? and the pulic land ill be hunting is down near champaign. i posted a couple picture of a area im looking at. and on breaks from college ill be hunting private land.

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like where the "G" for Google earth is in the bottom right is a great pinch point. Between the river and lake/swamp. Also, anywhere the deer are crossing that river would be a great pinch point. Anywhere the deer travel up around the top side of a steep cut ravine on a side hill is also a good pinch point.

3. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch so would i set up in the middle of that area in between the lake and river? and on the first map where the road curves. there are ravine type ares over there thats the first place i was actually looking.

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Killed a doe this evening around 7:30PM. I will post a pic tomorrow.

5. geaton32

geaton32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    good job cant wait to see your pic

6. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    If it was me, I would just scout it and look for the obvious trails in both locations. Someplace that I can get in and out of easily. Maybe a river approach? The top side of some of those ravines will be killer. You just have to go look them over and find the ones that dont have good crossings anywhere else.

7. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the help. ill probably hunt over where the road curves. the parking is right there and i can go multiple places from tha area so hopefully it looks good there

8. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I would likely stay away from anything close to the parking lot.

9. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work! Can't wait to see the pics. Be sure to post it to the scorecard thread so we get those points!

10. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ah not what i really ment its not a parking lot. its a gravel road. with a little post where to park. so its not like people are trying to find a spot to park by a building. its in the middle of the woods.

11. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Oly what are the food sources on this piece of ground you'll be hunting? Ideally, in my opinion, pinch points not only funnel deer traffic through an area, but they funnel it through OFTEN. For example, a pinch point between where the deer bed in the afternoon and then head to an ag field, oak tree grove, or other source of browse is my favorite pinch point. Because I know that deer are likely going to travel through there at least once a day. For a pinch point to be as effective as possible there has to be something beyond the "pinch" that lures them through consistently. This is just my opinion on how I locate and hunt pinch points, I'm definitely no expert so take it for what its worth.

12. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are oak trees around i think in this area. and i think there may be some beans around and corn a little further out but some of that is coming out already its pretty bad down here.

13. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously, 4 more days until the Kansas opener! I'm getting super pumped. The first few sits will primarily be me putting my wife on deer. Its her first year hunting with the bow, but I'm hoping to make an addict out of her. She's been practicing hard and has extended her range and increased her draw weight by 10 lbs in the offseason. Ive hung a few sets this year with two shooter stands so we'll be close and I'll get to share in the experience with her. We've got tons of does to thwack and I've scouted hard a 130" chocolate horned 8 that I'd love for her to get an encounter with. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress! Hopefully I'll get success early with her and she can down a doe and that buck. Then it'll be time for me to go to work and put some points on the board.

14. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    any of these oaks dropping acorns yet? These can be killer spots in the early season after the corn and beans are cut. I'd try to find a big old oak thats dropping heavily, or find an open flat with multiple oaks dropping and set up here. obviously try to key in on a stand location that favors where the majority of deer come from.

15. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i can check ill be making a trip either this sunday or next week sometime. so ill look for areas with a spot with oak trees dropping. and if i see movement somewhere else ill just take my lone wolf climber and head towards them, the trees here are great for my climber.

16. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just seeing if my signature works. oh sharpeye wheres the doe picture at ?

17. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like youve got a sweet rig for mobile hunting. I hear nohting but great things on those lone wolf climbers. I hope you find the acorns, because I guarantee you'll find deer sign.

18. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah its real nice from what i could tell in my yard. I also have a alpha hang on and sticks if i find a good spot that my climber cant handle. and i will let you know what i find after i look around some more. but these next 15 days are going to drag on.

19. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    2 more days fellas! My spitfires are getting hungry, and release hand is feeling itchy! Good luck to those of you on stand this weekend!

20. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lucky for you. i have 15 more days. and i can barely take it :throw: lol. but i calmed down a little bit during a 3-D shoot yesterday. but that did help much :lol: