Bowtech Insanity and Invasion

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by indynotch50, Sep 4, 2012.

1. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all,
    Do any of you own these and have something negative to say? It's too easy to find people praising it, I want to hear a few drawbacks...

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought insanity in February? I think. The finish on the limbs is already chipping. I honestly don't have any other complaints about the bow other than the price. :lol:

3. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing but good things to say.

4. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard the graphics on the bow are disliked by many and also the chipping. I don't own one personally but my friend has a Bowtech Destroyer 350. He says he really dislikes the finish on the bow and that's the only complaint I've heard from him. I am not a Bowtech guy but I do know that those bows are super quick and not so bad to shoot. My buddy is a really good shot with his at great distances and he's no expert by any means which tells me it's not for only experienced archers. So if you like the graphics and the price I would say you have a winner. Although, not to bash on Bowtech but I have heard from tutorials and shops that Bowtech doesn't have the best Customer Service and also that their bows become obsolete in 4 or 5 years. Just something to think about. :nana:

5. ahube8706

ahube8706 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i have an insanity cpx and i havent had it long enough to have problems with the finish on the limbs. but i do know they changed the finish since the destroyer 350. my previous bow was a mathews dxt and i didnt have to think twice about making my mathews my new bowfishing bow. lovin the bowtech so far. if i have any problems ill be sure to post it

6. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    I am thinking about an upgrade and have a shop that will give me a good price on my bow.
    I was weary about their customer service as well but I know it's getting much better. They fixed my brother's bow which was over 2 years old and wasnt the original owner of and they didn't charge a dime. I was impressed, they didn't have to even bother with it.
    I love my mathews as well, but looking to diversify possibly when I buy a new one.

7. dwhunts

dwhunts Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The chipping paint is the only issue I've heard of, and they've definitely fixed it. My friends Destroyer is chipped fairly bad at this point, but he doesnt seem to mind so much. The new finish has a little gritty feel to it and not smooth, so whatever they did to make it that way seemed to fix the chip issue.

I know a lot of guys who seem to favor the Invasion over the Insanity. It's definitely smaller and lighter, and it does have a little smoother draw. For me the extra size lead me to the Insanity. When I shot them it made a difference for my style. It just felt better. In my friends circle, that might be the minority view.

8. CajunTieDowns

CajunTieDowns Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Insanity

I had an 08 General, no issues with it. Just upgraded yesterday to the Insanity. That thing is a BEAST! Shooting 337.4 fps @ 66# My dad got the Invasion last year, no complaints yet!

9. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! I'm going to go ahead and get to saving a bit. It's becoming irresistable.

10. Camper1

Camper1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Current (6/10/12) Melbourne Australia, soon to be
    Had the Insanity cpx, its a great bow imo. Mine was wound flat and came in at 71#. I had it on the 30" draw setting. I ran a qad hd drp away on it.

With a 395 grain arrow it chrono'd in through 3 different chrono's at once and numerous times at 323fps average. With a 420grain odd it came in a 308fps. These figures were obtained when the bow was on all the manufacturers specs, and only running a dloop (no brass crimp) and a fletchers tru peep (8.5g).

The one thing i didnt measure on the bow was the draw length, as you know the module or draw length setting might be listed as 30" but bows can come in overdraw which bumps up the IBO figure, so cant comment on that at this stage.

I took mine out for numerous hunts and i dont treat my bows with gentleness, they have to stand up to what i put them through when im out, i found a small chip on the paint on two of the limbs early in the process, and never had a problem after that, so for me the chipping issue hasnt been a big deal.

Plenty of hold and creep at the wall and this came in handy once when i got busted at full draw and had to hang on for a while.

The adjustable DL module is fantastic. The strings on the bow were a real stand out in quality for me as well. The top and bottom split cables make for easy tuning as well.

Now for the downside nit picky negatives, please note: i love the bowtech insanity cpx so take these negatives with that in mind:

1) The bow is heavy, its the greatest downside for me, but some like a heavy bow.

2) The cables sit too close to your wrist and contact is made at times.

3) The cams make the small ata more like 34inches as they are large and hang over, so youll need to consider this if you hunt a blind or stand and want to take seated shots if it will get in the way.

4) Its a speed bow, so you start pulling the weight right away, to me its stiffer than many at 71# (stiffer than drawing an 80# 2010 DS xforce! and yes i drew them both at the same time numerous times to come to that opinion).

5) Remembering that im at the max draw length (30") for the bow, there is still a touch (i stress 'a touch') of valley which is good, and then there is a hump in the draw cycle before it smashes into a teeth shattering rock solid wall. For some this will cause movement coming to full draw, looking back over some video of me drawing on an animal before a shot you can see the movement and the hitting the wall.

6) The wall is awesome but imo its too solid, you crash into it.

Im now shooting the apa mamba m6 and i like it much better than the bowtech insanity cpx. Its weight is lighter, the riser has features the bowtech doesnt and the cam lock for pressing the bow is a feature i dont know if i could live without again, they are the same IBO and the m6 is as fast. the mamba is a solid limb bow so a little simpler. The m6 has a rock solid back wall but its teeth chattering, the cams on the m6 are smaller making the ata smaller for blinds and stands or hard shots or stalking in on your stomach. im pulling 73# and its smoother than the BT insanity cpx. The only thing the BT insanity cpx has on the m6 was the hold and creep, the mamba has only a touch and wants to go, some like this though in order to remain steady at full draw.

Having said all this, i love the bowtech insanity cpx and if your under 30"draw youll love it imo. Now that ive got the apa mamba id personally stick with it over the BT though and recommend you take a look at apa's line up.

There's a lot more i could say and if you have any ?'s just ask away, i can only tell you my experience at 71#/30", there's a few more negatives with the BT but i cant remember right now.

hope that helps, cheers Doz

11. indynotch50

Dislikes Received:
    All,
    Thanks buddy, great write up.

So I went by the shop to get a fletching contact issue taken care of and I shot an insanity while I was there... wow. I was supremely impressed. The bow I shot was the 60 pound, but it was so incredibly easy I don't think 70 would be any harder than my mathews. I guess the next thing to do is a bit of saving and pick one up.

12. BOWDADDY64

BOWDADDY64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    None whatsoever other than:
    So I guess that using a ten year old engineering idea but making the riser "float on air" is not obsolete?

13. fairtondoeslayer

fairtondoeslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i actually shot a doe first day of the season last year with my invasion set at 65# the arrow went right thru her and into the ground so far i had to dig it out with a shovel, love it killed many deer with it so far, again the only complaint is the finish, not the most durable but all in all the bow performs excellently

14. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Bowhunter_IL_BT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Invasion is noticably lighter compared the Insanity when you hold it in your hand. The Insanity I have heard has a little smoother draw. The Invasion is quieter and many archers on other forums say they like the stability of the Invasion better. For me I like the 7 in brace height better. Both are great bows but I pick the Invasion.

15. Tyson

Tyson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I still shoot my 06' allegiance so I wouldnt say obsolete. She chronos at 311 for me. Full pass throughs, every time. The INsanity CPX is my next bow as after 6 years of being a great weapon, its time for an upgrade. After I shot is compared to other bows of other companies at the shop, I knew it was the only one for me.

Also, Bowtech has been great on customer service for me. I had an old Black Knight 2 that I have had to get the limbs replaced on them, and they did it no problem for free. No complaints from this Bowtech loyalist:D

16. julien

julien Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my friend has both of them and i shot them and they are both outstanding.