Team 35 Check-In/Thread

Discussion in '2012 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 25, 2012.

1. OutbackRyno

OutbackRyno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once my stand is hung, I usually won't see it again until I hunt it.

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    m3shadle...I spent all day yesterday with Bill actually and a couple other guys videoing set ups on the properties my father and I hunt. I brought up John's work to them and the 2 guys (not Bill) said nothing but good stuff and described Bill as John on steroids...similar to Barry Bonds, he was one of the greatest hitters before taking roids and then when he did start taking roids he got even better. So it sounds like John's got some good stuff, and I think I will check out his work sometime.

3. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your looking to kill a mature buck one of the worst things you can do is spend time in your stand before the season starts. I believe once a buck of your desire is on a camera it is a good idea to pull the camera and leave the area alone until you decide to hunt. 9 times out of 10 you only get one chance at a mature whitetail. Most of the time it is within the first 2 or 3 times on the same stand. Stay out of the area until you are going to hunt it.

4. m3shadle

m3shadle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    /\ /\ /\ That except I have a hard time taking the camera down. I'll only check it once a month though. For some reason I love to know what days I should have hunted and what was walking by my stand. It makes me sick but I always want to know.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'll admit there are times to follow dbl lung verbatim, his advice is not without knowledge and success (man takes some beasts). Some factors you have to take into account is the type of deer you're hunting. My one new property the deer are very used to human scent and movement as it's a pretty active farm and the grandkids are always moving through the woods (although owner said he's shutting that down soon so the woods will be quiet for us). The pictures I got of RD were taken not 30 yards from where we know he's bedding in a canary grass marsh type area. I actually pulled the camera till just yesterday when we set up a stand just to hunt this buck during the dark period of October on some all day sits in the canary grass. I did put the camera back up as I found I can actually access the camera quite quickly and if done at night can do so without worrying about jumping the buck (RD).

However, like yesterday when we approached the bed we made sure to make noise...let the deer (RD and others we may not know about) hear the danger approaching, utilize their bed's safety exits and slip away. They will feel that bed is doing exactly what they want it to do and return time and time again knowing they can and will be safe there.

It's a dangerous slope, some have different thouhts, but there is most definitely nothing wrong with either opinion but if you leave it very close to or in the bedding area you must go about pulling the card in a well thought out manner and always approach with everything in mind.

6. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    tynimiller, its funny you say that because that is the way the deer act on our land. My dad is cutting grass and wood all the time. I used to get pretty upset but it would appear they know his scent and are not alarmed. On the other hand when they see or smell me they run even if I am on the ATV. My dad does not hunt but he does like to see the deer. I hunt around a couple subdivisions near where I live also. They same thing holds true. People generally don't bother the deer unless someone is up in the woods where they are not normally.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly...if you guys checked out my hunting log I described my new "Swamp Property"...save one set up (right in the bedding, still very quick access off an old two track though!)I am setting up within 15 yards of these two track trails that run the property. Now in order to make my scent not seem as foreign I'm walking the two tracks 2 to 4 times a week if I can, that way come hunting season when I'm on my scent program the small hint of scent they'll detect won't be as out of the normal as say it would be if I never came out and walked..and hopefully the scent will seem old due to it only being a faint amount...it works on this property due to the ability to walk the two tracks, don't I'd do the exact same approach had the two tracks not existed.

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys didn't get a great camera pull on the Swamp Property but got 4 yearlings moving during daylight hours a lot which is always a great thing to see. I won't shoot this guy but he's my favorite up and comer! I'd guess at the very oldest he's a 2 1/2 year old and he's sporting a heck of a young right side. Him knocking off his left side might help save him from hunters this season...and we'll have to see how much he blows up next year whether he'd creep onto the hit list or wait till 2014.

Meet lil' Right Ten:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. OutbackRyno

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of camera are you running at this spot?

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    One of those small Covert C.A either 4.0 or 3.0 can't remember. Love the little boogers! Takes great pictures!

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    The cool thing I forgot to mention is the little guy (Right Ten) came and bedded down right against the tree the camera was hanging in...obviously got a lot of the promising up and comer due to the fact.

12. OutbackRyno

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use many cameras since I hunt public mainly, but I have decided the ones I buy from here on will be covert.

13. m3shadle

m3shadle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a few CA 3.0's myself. Best bang for your buck....lol i just made a joke.

14. buckhunter1988

buckhunter1988 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im here sry it took me so long I just graduated school and got my CDL so Im on the road alot drivin but ill be around more once the season starts

15. Saskassasin

Saskassasin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    welcome aboard buckhunter1988. congrats on graduating!!

16. OutbackRyno

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you made it buck hunter. Welcome to the team. Tell us a little about where you're hunting and about yourself a little if you dont mind.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

17. vectrix27

vectrix27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whats up guys. This is vectrix checking in finally. Sorry it took so long, but ive been honeymoonin. Dont worry though, I will get plenty of time in the woods. LOL She likes to hunt and understands my antler addiction. I live in alabama, so dont count on me putting down a 150 or anything. If im lucky, i can get a 120. I do have plans to go hunt some public land in illinois the first week of november though, so there is a possibility of a good one taking a dirt nap. Lets win this thing!

18. OutbackRyno

Dislikes Received:
    Hey vectrix. Welcome to the team. Congrats on the wedding. We aren't counting on any 150's. Weve decided that if we can all put down does, and a few of us bucks then we will take the cake.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  19. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cake, you all dont get no stinking Cake! I'm going to flick a buggar under ruttnutts tree stand ever time I get near it. Ha Haaaa!

20. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Man, I did not mean to give you all Lock Jaw!:lol: