Fitz's 2012 Season Journal Thread *semi-live*

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Fitz, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I know that my season doesn't start for another 19 days, 14 hours, 29 minutes, and 15 seconds... but I figured I'd get a head start on my Season Journal Thread. :tu:

In case you missed my 2011 thread last year, or more likely, chose to ignore it, here's the idea. I'll be covering my season, from start to finish, in this thread. I'll post trail cam picks, maps, strategies as I prepare to hunt; pics, updates and possibly broadcasts live from the stand; and summarize the hunts once I'm back safe and sound.

I'll start off by refreshing everyone with the area I'm hunting, then I can move on to my hit-list, hopes and plans for the looming season.

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So I live near Ely, Minnesota. We're about 14 miles south of the Canadian border, near the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW), and in the heart of the Superior National Forest. This area is definately Big Woods hunting. There aren't any crops, and very few hardwoods. We're actually on the southern edge of the boreal forest. The landscape is littered with lakes, bogs, swamps and pines. Birch, aspen, ash and moutain maples are mixed throughout.

Here's an image of the primary area I hunt.

[​IMG]

Our lake does not have a public access and there are very few private lots/cabins along it's shores. 3/4 of the lakeshore is either State Forest or National Forest. Basically I get to hunt a couple thousand acres of public land that is near impossible for the public to get to :tu:

Much of my hunting time is spent across the lake on its Western side. I access these spots by canoe in the early season, and if we get cold enough, fast enough, I can use my bike or a snomobile in the late season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now, this wll mark my 3rd season chasing Blade, a main-frame 10pt with bladed G2s. (hence my avatar)

Here's a highlight video I made covering photos and videos of him from 2010 and the first part of 2011.

[video=youtube_share;2d5ep-LZp-Y]http://youtu.be/2d5ep-LZp-Y[/video]

And here are some more pics from last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only have seen him on the hoof once (2010) when he picked me off in my tree while I was digging for my binos in my pack. He was at 80 yds across a beaverdam.

This year I think I have a better idea as to where he's bedding, so I can hopefully catch him during shooting hours. As you can see, almost all my pics & videos of him are at night.

This spring I was happy to see that Blade survived the winter and is still hanging out in the area. Here are some noteable shots from this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And even a couple from today's cam check:tu:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    #2 so far on my list as an 8pt I'm calling Buster.

Here he is as a young lad last year... and how he got his name.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tear in his ear allowed me to ID him early this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    These really are the only two bucks I'll be able to ID for sure this season.

Now, generally I hunt alone up here, but I will be on occasion hunting with either my dad (Ol' Man Fitz) or my buddy augustice. Ice man will be up here for opening weekend for three days of hunting, then most likely back some time around Halloween. My dad lives next-door and has hunted periodically with me, but he's really fired up this year. So, you'll probably be hearing more from him:tu:

We'll be going after Blade pretty hard, but I also has done some scouting in an area south of the lake that I'd like to spend some stand time. In fact, I just move one of my two cameras there to see what I get over then next few weeks.

That about does it as far as the intro. As always, comments and questions are welcome. Good luck to all of you this fall, and be sure to wish me luck too!!

6. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz I do have one for you. When hunting big woods like that, what types of food sources and other things do you tend to key in on? Ive always hunted areas with crops or oaks, but I have a cabin in some big woods I would like to start hunting and not sure where to start.

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's a tough one for sure, monsta. Deer here rely mainly on browse. They can eat, drink and bed just about anywhere. Some good food sources would be new growth from recently logged areas.

I often see them browsing as they walk along. A nibble here, a nibble there. They also really love "old mans beard", that long mossy stuff that hangs down from dead spruce up here. I've been known to push down a standing dead spruce in hopes that it will draw them in:tu:

I really don't count on food sources as far as stand sets go, though this year the newer area I'm scouting/hunting is a 7 y/o cut that should be good in the late season. I hunt topography and terrain. Funnels, beaverdams, water crossings, ridgelines, softedges all present possible hunting locations for me.

Someday I'll better understand their diet here. It's just hard with the limited sightings I have and the abundant, yet hard to decipher food sources for them.

8. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gotcha...makes sense for sure. That was a huge help because gives me some good starting points. Thanks buddy! Looking forward to following your thread here.

9. boof

boof Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Really intrigued by this journal idea. I'll new following closely!

10. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Will be following along Fitz! I think some "blades" need to be dulled:evilgrin:

11. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck with Blades...Being a cyclist, I am intrigued with your use of the bicycle and the sled. Whatnabout noise?

12. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz I'm back for some more this year! less suspense this year, little more climax eh? haha Blade is a STUD this year and buster has easily put on 25 inches! are they in areas where you feel like you'll be hunting them both from the same stand or far enough to where its going to be one or the other? obviously big woods bucks don't exactly have boundaries with such low deer density but I think you know what I mean.

13. Arkansas countryboy

Arkansas countryboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Already subscribed Fitz! Can't wait till season starts.

14. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fitz why not make this post a sticky so we won't have to ever go searching for it! When am I gonna get my invite to come up northing for some hunting and ice fishing?

15. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Blade is turning out to be quit the stud,,,love the journal Mike :D

16. BowFreak

BowFreak Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will be following this tread once again this year. Really like all the pictures and the hunt break downs. Good stuff Fitz!!!!

17. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! It seems that I get even more pumped each year I have to hunt up here.

The conditions need to be just right. Last December was the first time I busted out the Trek. We need to have cold enought temp to make ice, but there can't be much for snow. The drag from the sled and the slippery ice make it tough to plow through much snow. Especially on the drifty lake! Nosie is why I prefer the bike to the snowmobile. Same reason I perfer the canoe to one of the dozen boats I could use.

Nearly all my photos of Blade and Buster are from the camera location. I'm likely to see either in my primary hunting spot.

Question 1: I feel kind of silly sticking my own thread :busted:
    Question 2: You and Kristine are welcome anytime :tu: If you time it right, you can do both! Fish the afternoon and hunt the evening.

18. GeorgiaBoy

GeorgiaBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm rooting for you to take Blade this year, Fitz! I've got a feeling this year is the year.

19. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great luck poking blade in the heart this year! That deer is a stud. I'm excited to be following your journal and gaining some wisdom about the whitetail woods. thanks for taking the time and effort to share with us.

20. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff Fitz, as a farm hunter it's good to hear about the "deep woods" experience, as everything I get to hunt is essentially edge effect. I hope you keep that cell phone handy for safety's sake when you're out alone.