Homemade Deer scent field trials

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Rancid Crabtree, Sep 6, 2011.

1. bohica

bohica Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok it hasnt been asked but im gona ask lol. What are you using to make this scent just curious. Because ill be hunting on Ft. Bragg this year because I wont be able to make it home to the big bucks in Ohio. We gota compete basically for the land we want to hunt here. Only so many people can hunt a area and area's change every week we can hunt in. Me and my buddy thanks to google earth and all the time we spend in the training area's have Ft. Bragg scouted out with stand locations when we get back from this deployment. I understand fully if you dont tell us. But im curious as to try and give me an edge over everyone else that hunt's on our training land including civilians which infuriates me that they can hunt on it and not just military.

2. Rancid Crabtree

Rancid Crabtree Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

You will understand that I am not going to share the ingredients to this bait.

3. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rancid - that's some impressive research and it is inspiring me to conduct a similar research. If you don't mind me asking what method/recipe did you use?

Have you tried other hand made scents other than the ones you used conducting last year’s research? Was one more favorable than the other?
    My mind is racing with all sorts of question set off by my own curiosity. Do you just use natural products to obtain the scent you aiming for? Like say for instance, you were to try an apple scent. Would you use a real apple, or some sort of apple flavor (apple juice, artificial flavors, extract)?
    If you use the real thing would you grind it up in a blender the extract the juice? Then mix said juice with oil? What type of oil do you use? Man I could go one. As you can tell I truly enjoyed your research and correlations you developed along the way. Example: is there a correlation between Deer sense of smell and where they go. I would like to set out and see if I can find a correlation between where a deer beds and the smells around it? Who knows it might be worth trying, but either way its sounds like fun.
    I guess I could set up Multiple cameras in a bedding area with scent on one side and none on the other, and then see if the deer choose to bed closer to the scent or away from it.

Oh yeah thanks for the great read and idea.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  4. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cool story/ field research and all. I understand your arguement(s) for scents. But one question, why wont you share how to make this scent? If your so successful why would you mind sharing it with us?

5. Rancid Crabtree

Dislikes Received:
    Because I have not ruled out the possiblity of marketing this scent/bait.

6. bohica

bohica Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rancid market it, you have proof it works.

7. Rancid Crabtree

Dislikes Received:
    Not without additional testing. There is no rush.

8. bohica

bohica Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well hear instead of telling us the recipe for this. Ill buy it off you, like a 8 oz. bottle and try it out when I get back from afghanistan on 2 of my trail cameras if you want. Wider range of testing and in different states. Just an opinion but im down to help you make some cash and me get some more deer. Been to long since iv been deer hunting haha, been doing to much Tali-b hunting.

9. Rancid Crabtree

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your service to our Country. My youngest son is in the Army.

I have a few people helping test out this scent/bait. I’m testing it and hoping to prove its effectiveness for the benefits in hunting deer, not for profits. I am not really interested in cash. I have plenty of that so that’s not a motivation for me.

10. PY_HUNTER

PY_HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using an attractant and I am getting over a thousands pics a week with it. I think attractants are great, but I am stuck on MonsterRaxx and will not try anything else.

11. HemiRam

HemiRam Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is not helpful in the DIY section