Official Team 4 Thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by bloodcrick, Apr 4, 2012.

1. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again Dean, nice bird!! I came close yesterday eve, got him (I hope) figured out. I know exactly where he roosted, heard him fly up, heard him goble 4 times. I checked this morning on the way to work and he was gobbling his head off. If its not storming to bad this eve ill be there. Thunderstorm rolling through at work now and its headed for home 35 miles away. If its just mildly raining ill use my sone pop up I guess. I dont want to but will as not to get camera gear wet.

2. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Danno! I'll be waiting for the text buddy! >>>---------------->

3. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Unbelevable, I got to the spot he roosted yester day eve and verified he was there this morn on the way to work. Set up early after work, it was perfect set up, low foilage and nice and open, great for filming. We had a nasty storm come through earlier and since no birds showed up im guessing the weather changed there pattern a bit. Ill be out in the morning, chance of rain all day so ill be nested in a double bull keeping dry. It aint over, I hunt very hard when I get time and I still have two week ends to work with yet!

4. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Stick with it Danno! I'll be doing a bit of a scout this weekend, since I have a tag for the next time period (season) starting May 9, which is my birthday, so I'm hoping to shoot a "Birthday Bird". That would be sweet! My first turkey I ever shot was on my birthday back in '93. Anyway, good luck and shoot str8!

5. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    A bust this morning where I started at. I came home, gave the fields a look behind my house with the spotting scope and Bam a Tom and a Hen. Grabbed something to eat and off I went. I could only get set up on the opposit side of they field they were in. The Tom would follow the Hen and gobble once in a while. I waited till the Hen Left and tried a light call. He looked and just fed for awhile before losing sight of him in a ditch. Later 2 hens came out, one with about a 6-7" beard that I see every season. I called and they started feeding toward me. I was not going to shoot her (its legal) so I picked up and snuck out before they got to close. On the way out in another field I spotted a very large Tom but had no way of setting up to film. I decided not trying was gonna be the best bet so I continued on. I got to the inside corner of that field but still inside of the woods, crept to the thick edge and spoted the same Tom but now there were 2. still no where to get set up good as it was very thick and I was only 60 yards from them. I just started to sneak on when they decided to come my way. I quickly set up the tripod with camera as high as I could get it to see over foilage facing field, got ready and had the Toms at 25 yards but I would have been shooting through some tiny holes through limbs, and I couldnt really find them in the camera. They finally moved on and I snuck out. NOW The other field I have noticed that the birds like to feed up and down the edge for several hours pretty consistantly so im going to try and take off work Monday and be there ready for them as I have to work OT sunday. Im trying real hard guys, toughest year I have ever had!

6. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    There's no doubt the video camera makes it even tougher! Stick with it, and just make sure you're still having fun. That turkey hunting can be frustrating at times. Good luck bud!

7. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Very true, I actually think the video camera is alot of fun, extra to pack in but hey im Man :moose: Had to work today. Here is the plan for tomorrow, no more trying to get a roost pattern. I have been monatoring mid morning late eve patterns from the house and I have noticed the birds have really hanging on one edge of a certain field woods lately since its been disc up. Im taking off work tomorrow rain or shine, Ill be there on the edge tucked back in all day if needed. No deaks this time as I have noticed the birds have been call shy lately. Time to switch it up a bit ambush style and make it happen. seasons getting shorter! Who elese is still hunting, anyone done??

8. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Still hunting here. Starting tomorrow we get to hunt all day in VA. Will be trying to get out several days this week.

9. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Best of luck to you! Well I hunted for 8 hrs yesterday, and wouldnt you know it. The birds used the other side of the field. The Turkeys Gods are not liking me this year :moose: Yesterday, Seen 6 Toms, A bearded Hen I have known for 4 years now and a hand full of Hens! Its not over yet, Im hunting HARD, and dont give up easily. Im gonna quit saying I have a stratagy, I believe its affecting my Mojo :p

10. bloodcrick

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys its over for me! For the first time in along time I failed to bring a bird home. This by far was the worst season I can ever remember. Low bird numbers, warmer temps very early before the season came in got the breeding going early. My honey hole was a disaster and never even heard a bird there. Thats a first for it! I had many close encounters, got some on film and even turned down a bird Saturday evening. It came in to my right through the brush and there was a couple big trees between the camera and him. It was more inportant to me to get it on film that top just shoot him. Sorry guys but I hunted harder than I have ever before. Im beat down to a pulp and plum wore out. Time to recoupe and start Bow fishing. It was a pleasure being on the team with you guys!
    Crick

11. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Well Crick you put your time in, and that's all a guy can do sometimes. Your still our fearless leader for team 4!