Can you move in and kill a deer with a bow in under two weeks?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There have been at least a half dozen occasions in which I have killed a deer the "first day" upon ever setting foot on a particular piece of land

So assuming we are talking about a average piece of land with some ok deer numbers I would give myself a very good chance in 14 days.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    There are so many varables and different terrains, time of the season and so on. Big woods IMO would be the hardest to narrow down to killing a bigger Buck, you said >> (any Buck) :p It can be done in two weeks im sure in some situations!

3. UPbowhunter

UPbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shouldnt be to hard to kill any deer on an average peice of public here. I would reveiw my game plan if I was haveing that hard of a time for so long VS. They musthave you pegged bud, entering or leaveing, or stand placement.

4. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, i have done it before.

5. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok i am spoiled,some fields here have 12-15 deer per hunt. I would move..to another state

6. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, 100% confident

7. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I hunted every single day, maybe.

That being said, probably not. I will try that this coming season on a public piece of land or another piece of private property I may end up hunting some this coming season.

8. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I normally have them on camera in a day or so here. I have seen them find it within 6 hours. My brother missed one 6 hours after he put corn out last season. She walked right up to the pile and he missed. Had 4 others with her.

9. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to see if all of these people that say they could no problem could do it.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree Rory. I am talking about an average piece of hunting land with an average deer herd. It AIN'T easy to make a goal of killing A deer in two weeks and then actually doing it.

If you can consistently kill a deer in two weeks or less on an average piece of property, you are a darn good hunter in my book. I was eating a venison sandwich the other day and came to the conclusion that a solid deer could net several people food for weeks, maybe a month. I tried to look at hunting from a big picture standpoint, not just the big buck standpoint. A person bringing home food consistently is a good hunter.

11. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also hunt an average piece of land and don't think I could kill a good size deer in 2 weeks consistently. Too many things that could go wrong. Weather or wind not being in my favor and other bad luck. My time and effort would not be the reason why I didnt succeed.

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are we talking 2 weeks of vacation to do nothing but hunt every day? I think that would be a semi-easy challenge. Now 2 weeks of getting in a hunt here or there after work and hunting the weekends is a whole different story.

I started hunting a new property 2 seasons ago. I've hunted 7 sits in the past 2 years and killed my target buck 2 years in a row.... my land probably is slightly above average when it comes to deer numbers though. Hunting the great food sources around there at the right time really help produce opportunities.

13. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    After consulting my hunting excel file, I can say that it takes me on average 20.25 outings to harvest a deer....

So it looks like I will not be able to do it.

..... though, I could make the arguement that I hunt in an area that has greater than average dificulty :tu:

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the stats Fitz. Like I said before, it is not as easy as some people think to kill a deer on an average bit of property over just two weeks.

15. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the locations for myself.

16. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I still say it is very easy to kill "A" deer within two weeks. I'm trying to think back just this year alone how many does, 1.5 year old bucks I passed within the first two weeks this season. I don't know the exact number other than A LOT! I remember 7 deer of some kind within bow range on opening day alone. 2 weeks is a lot of time to kill any ole deer.

17. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still confident I could get it done. 2 weeks gives you a full week to scout and figure them out, and a full week to hunt them.

I think the only issue would be if our definitions of "average" are completely different.

18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Killing a deer within two weeks might be easy on your property NY, maybe it is not so easy on others.

19. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I go by last years success, I can say yes. Killed one first day of season, and another on second day. Killed 5 total last year. I only wish it was that easy every year. I'm hoping for another good year this coming season. I've done some scouting and have some new stand locations that should prove productive. I'm also ordering a bale blind to hunt a new field and treeline that we got permission to hunt this fall. Can't wait to try that one out. There's usually between 5 and 30 deer roaming that field every evening after harvest :)

20. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First year in SC. Moved in, met a man taking a nature break on the side of the road who gave me permission to hunt his place. I scouted once, set up and killed a 195lb 7 point that afternoon. Easy as pie... never saw another deer on his place for three years.