Increasing Draw Weight

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JerseyHunter95, Apr 9, 2012.

1. JerseyHunter95

JerseyHunter95 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot at 50 pounds now. Bear Lights Out but i dont know the exact f.p.s. I have 3 pins: a 10, 20, and 30 yard. my question is if i increase my draw weight to 60 pounds will i have to sight in the bow again? i really dont feel like doing this because my sights are so dead on and im afraid to mess with them since im brand new to bowhunting

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You most likely will have to tweak your sights cranking your bow up 10 lbs. It will be good practice for you :tu:

3. OKhunter

OKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes you will need to adjust your sights. You are going to gain a moderate amount of speed. you will have to move all of the pins up on the sight and your pins themselves will need to be moved closer together.

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not only will your pins change, so will your tune. That's a pretty dramatic change and assuming your arrows are correctly spined now, they won't be with the increase. A few other minor tweaks may be necessary as well.

If your new to the sport and your shooting well and the weight is comfortable,leave it alone. Never increase poundage because you think you need to because others shoot X amount of weight. KEEP IT COMFORTABLE.

If you can pull the extra weight without compromising form or comfort, then do it and make the necessary adjustments. You will learn through the process.

A 50# setup may require cut on contact broadheads but you can get passthroughs on deer size game with a well tuned setup.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. JerseyHunter95

Dislikes Received:
    my pins wont move any closer together. think i could just move them up and be ok. originally i sighted the bow in at 10 yards and all the pins were automatically sighted in but they are as close together as possible at 50#

6. OKhunter

OKhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    with the increase in speed you will get I would not set my first pin for 10 yards I would start at 20 yards then 30, 40 and so forth.

7. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ this 1000% ^^

8. JerseyHunter95

Dislikes Received:
    ive decided not to do this. i havnt been bowhunting yet, im a brand new hunter. and when i draw my bow sitting down as slowly and quietly as possible (like i would in a stand) its hard enough so that i wouldnt be able to at 60 pounds without spooking a deer

9. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good choice

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2