4 inch vanes vs 2 inch vanes

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by bearlegion, Mar 28, 2012.

1. bearlegion

bearlegion Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm kinda torn between using a 2 inch vane or a 4 inch vane for hunting some people tell me the 2 inch are no.good for fixed blade broadheads was looking for some thoughts on what others prefer

2. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is essentially no difference in that they have pretty much the same surface area. Either one shot out of a well tuned setup is just fine with BH's. If BH's are not shooting well then the problemis likely an untuned setup.

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I absolutely agree with this as a well-tuned bow shoots well without vanes in ideal conditions at reasonable distances.

Only time I am going with 4" vanes is when I am shooting bullheads. Feathers and 4 fletched at that.....

4. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    love 4" feathers but last couple of years have been shooting blazers because of rainy conditions when hunting. both handle my fixed blades with no problem.

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Use Black magic tire wet on your feathers. Spray them and let them dry a few days. You can literally dunk your vanes in water after that and they won't retain water.

6. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    Even soaking wet feathers will not affect arrow flight.

7. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    x2....

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm one of those who like more feathers on my arrows. Hitting a branch, bad release, etc- more feathers will help straighten/stabilize that arrow out quicker. Kind of the same thing a high FOC does to an arrow. Each to their own though.

9. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for tip heckler,will try.bruce& christine, your feathers must be lot better than mine. i've shot a lot of tourneys in the rain and when my feathers get soaked, they tend to lay down the more i shoot and after awhile,they don't fly worth a you know what.can only imagine what a broadhead would fly like. now granted, hopefully would only be taking one shot under hunting conditions instead of several, but still don't want to risk that one shot and as i said before the blazers fly just as well, therefor i prefer the blazers in the rain, others might not.

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree. It's all about surface area. Soaking wet feather = less surface because they are all stuck togehter and are heavey at that. They will fly, so will a bare shaft....

11. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    disagree with who heckler?

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    brucelanthier & Christine

13. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    Dip a feathered arrow in a glass of water and shoot it beside a dry one. Many folks have done this. No difference.

14. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I will play! For how long am I letting them soak? At what range am I shooting? Wind conditions ? temp? You are going to have to be a bit more scientific to convenience me otherwise!

I can argue the same with a unfletched arrow assuming the equipment is in tune....

Let’s just call it what it is... We agree to disagree on this one!

15. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, soaking wet feathers definitely don't work. ;)

[​IMG]

:poke: :D

16. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    bruce you may be right about the two arrows after 1 dipped in a glass of water and shoot the same. however SOAK the 1 arrow to the point the feathers lay down on shaft( may have to shoot that arrow a few times) then test them. might be surprised that the SOAKED arrow with feathers laying down does not shoot the same as the dry feather. that's just my opinion after doing exactly that for quite some number of years bowhunting with them, also the problem is many times worse when dealing with broadheads. just my opinion . that being said the original post was comparing 2" to 4" VANES.,and i agree not much difference between the two. also i got off the original post when i mentioned feathers, for which i was wrong.

17. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    LOL soak for as long as you like, they don't absorb water. Whatever distance you want, any wind, any temp.

You have had problems with wet feathers, actual experience?

18. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    Pull a feather fletch through a bag target and they will be laying down much farther than any wet one. Those have shot fine for me. Bottom line is, if you are getting so soaked that you feel your feathers will give poor performance then perhaps the blood trail won't be so good either.

19. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    great buck christine, congrats!!!! think i said in previous post that i would hope to have only one shot while hunting instead of several. big difference in a soaked arrow being shot one time as compared to several over and over on the range, as i have done several times. as stated earlier i still don't trust an arrow with the fletching so wet that it lays down,with a broadhead on the end for a shot at a possible once in a lifetime animal.FINE you do trust it. again, FINE thats the great thing about archery and bowhunting, we sometimes hunt differently,shoot differently and have different opinions.

20. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    bruce, just curious what would happen to that arrow in the water if let it soak till the feathers laid down, shot it a few times, then test shot both arrows. thinking might find a little difference but again thats just my opinion