Quick question ..

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by 2xlung5h0t, Mar 5, 2012.

1. 2xlung5h0t

2xlung5h0t Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone know of any seed you can just throw and go? I've got a couple bare areas in the middle of some timber that is near impossible to get an ATV to and would be a PAIN to push the tiller to. I would love to just throw down some seed and make plots of the areas.

2. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping for a response on this as well. Great question. We have a 60 acre lease with a 15 acre field and the rest is timber. The farmer rotates corn and soy beans through the field and we are looking for something to put inside some of the timber in the bare areas. Not much sun but we can trim a few areas if needed. This season will have soy but we'd like to throw something down for them to feed or graze on within the woods.

Thanks for posting this.

3. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
  4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    whitetail institute also offers a couple one called No-Plow and Secret Spot. Both no tilling methods. NOt saying they're amazing...but we've used both and as long as you realize you can't expect them to flourish like things would in an open field you're fine. They do what they say with very little to minimal tilling or even raking. Almost every brand has a version any more like this.

5. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Clover you can usually just throw out there and it will grow. It is also a great attractant for deer, they love it

6. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    tynimiller has got the goods...... Im gonna be planting some of the No-plow as well as tossing some oats out in a little clearing that i made.

7. 2xlung5h0t

2xlung5h0t Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thanks guys! looks like whitetail institute is the way to go .. I will definately be throwing out some this fall.

8. td8541

td8541 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the soil condition is good, you can use the Commerical stuff. Just don't expect amazing results. Personally, I would get some clover.