Would you take a shot on a Coyote that you would not take on deer? (Quality Wise)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

We do intentionally hunt them with a rifle, but if one walks in on my when I'm bow hunting, I'm going to try and get a shot off on him. I wait until after bow season to hunt them with my rifle.

2. UPbowhunter

UPbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That makes perfect sense to me. If I was hunting your farm and that was your angle on it I would understand that and act acordingly.

3. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    As far as not eating what you shoot as in Yotes, My feelings are as such! I dont feel like im wasting anything, Ill keep the Hide but hey, anything else is ate by scavengers. pretty much nothing wasted IMO.

4. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I say fling that arrow. Personally they are in the same category as groundhogs, ticks, mosquitoes, etc.

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    100% this ... I could have thrown an arrow at one this year but I didn't cuz I didn't hear that voice ......

6. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hate yotes. they killed my neighbors dog. I will shoot one anywhere i can. head, a**, neck, vitals. they are invasive pest not welcome to my neighborhood. same with groundhogs and crows

7. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone who shoots any animal and doesn't care if it suffers doesn't deserve the right to hunt - yotes feel just like your dog and are just trying to survive in environments we created...I'll shoot as many yotes as I can but I won't take a sh!++# shot at one just because I don't want it around and the s.o.b.s killed 5 of my chickens and 1 turkey in 24 hrs. - I lost 27 to yotes and fox in one summer- thats costly! Hey Matt - ever think that maybe the deer don't want you around??? What makes you or your neighbors dog deserve so much more respect than the yotes? (sorry to pick on you its not really personal just you were last to post - applies to anyone and thick as weeds or not - we made them our problem)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  8. KodiakIslandArchery

KodiakIslandArchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Same here, in California they are thick as weeds...I do whatever it take to kill them

9. C DUDE

C DUDE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, what is that ^

10. C DUDE

C DUDE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    and that^

11. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No, I would not take a dumb shot at a coyote. I hate wounding an animal, any animal. The very last thing I need is a yote running around here with an arrow stuck in it.

I don't like yotes anymore than the next guy, but the bottom line is, they're just another animal in the food chain that just so happens competes with us dumb humans for deer. It's not their fault.

It's sort of like up north of me. The reintroduction of elk has slowly pushed the whitetails out of some areas. Should we shoot any elk we see? Doubt it, because us humans deem elk as prized game animals.

However, you better believe that I will take any decent shot I get at a yote.

12. Matt9589

Matt9589 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good point

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

13. DrillSgt11b

DrillSgt11b Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No I wouldn't take a poor shot,even when I was a kid hunting groundhogs with a 22 it was always a head shot,to me every animal deserves the best I got

14. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I mirror your above statement.. my father taught me to only kill what I can eat.. so I only kill the deer that I can eat. Every other animal gets a pass.. except..

I've taken a lot of yotes in my day as a bowhunter.. felt bad about each one.. but I know they hurt my deer hunting on a few particular tracts I have.. so I eliminate them as much as possible.. when opportunity arises.

Would I take a bad shot on one.. nope. Why? Cause I don't waste arrows.. I'd rather just watch him meander than take a poor shot.. sooner or later they get close enough to me anyway.

15. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I that because you keep raw meat in your pockets or what?
    lol I can never get them close enough for a good clean shot so I have yet to take a yote.

16. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like yotes...the situation hasn't arouse for me yet but I don't like them...so thats your answer to that.

17. BOWSPEC

BOWSPEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When it comes to shooting coyotes, I'm more concerned about whether or not I'll be able to find my arrow incase I miss. If I have any shot at a coyote, I'm letting one fly.

18. BOWSPEC

BOWSPEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, if someone doesn't approach shooting a coyote with the level of emotion that you give it, then they don't have the right to hunt IYO? Thankfully they don't make legislative decisions based on that ideology. Or at least they shouldn't...IMO.

I don't think anyone here WANTS a coyote to suffer or doesn't care if a coyote they shoot suffers. I definitely would always try to make the best shot I can, it's just good practice, but I am definitely not attaching the same level of emotion to situation that you and some others are...everyone is different in that regard and I think that is what makes the biggest difference in opinion on this topic.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  19. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I see a coyote riding a bicycle... I will shoot at him no matter how far away he is.:lol:

20. hawkeye4485

hawkeye4485 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, If I have any shot at a coyote at all, you can guarantee I am going to smoke it. You never know what whitetail or pheasant that dog could be going to eat next.