Would you take a shot on a Coyote that you would not take on deer? (Quality Wise)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BJE80, Jan 27, 2012.

1. UPbowhunter

UPbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really dont change my shooting ethics for the critter being shot at. A clean shot is what I aim for every time.

2. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much the same here. If I take a shot... I want a kill. I might push the shoot a little that I wouldn't take on a deer but I still strive for a clean kill.

Tim

3. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to say my honest answer is that for some reason I just cant take a questionable shot at a yote I had a couple come by me this year and did not take the shot because they were moving or it was to far.
    But I wish I had at least tried. Something just won't let me.
    I think it's more of wasting an arrow than anything for me to not take the shot.

4. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I don't see the sense in releasing an arrow if I'm not sure whatever I'm shooting at is going to be dead. I don't shoot at anything without the intent of it being dead afterwards. So unless that little voice in my head says "you're dead" when I'm at full draw, I'm not shooting. Waste of time and an arrow. Nothing against anyone that will fling them hoping to kill a yote. Just my personal outlook.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a settle to score w. our local yotes. They owe me a $500 vet bill for what they did to my wifes dog. Little 20lb dog. So, yeah, I'm gonna let it fly. My goal is population control, not trophy hunting. If I shoot him, and he runs off and dies, then I'm fine with that.

6. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    X 2 here for the other Dan'o saved me alot of typing, I feel the same as Christine!

7. C DUDE

C DUDE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In SC coyote nor wild boar are native to the state. Boar ruin our crops and coyotes kill all game types here and have no natural predator here. So I treat them as varments and usually I hunt them down with a .308 every spring. But I'm a pretty good shot and drop them where they stand.

8. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not that I've had a chance to shoot a yote w/ a bow yet, but my shot selection would probably loosen a little, nothing crazy though. I'm not going to fling & hope, but I doubt I'd be as picky as a normal shot on a deer.

9. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Out of respect to any wildlife I wouldn't treat it any different then when I shoot a deer with my bow.
    I have my my standards that I will follow plain and simple.

T

10. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would venture to say that if you hit a yote with an arrow, regardless of where it hits, there is probably a really, really good chance that thing is going down. My buddy hit one in the back leg (clipped a twig first) with a two blade rage. It darn near cut the leg off and the thing didnt make it 40 yds. There is not one single sit from this season where I didnt see a yote, if I get a shot I take it.

11. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    there are so many yotes here in Illinois (I see one almost every other sit). We see them run deer all the time and just want to try and control them. Truth is its hard to get a good shot on those things as they are always on the move. So for me if ones within range he's getting shot at, prob not the best mind set but we are desperate.

12. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder sometimes if I'm so different from most of you. When I grab my bow or my gun and head to my tree to hunt deer, I know that I will only shoot a deer. Coyotes, bobcats, racoons, armadillos, rabbits, squirrels and other critters are completely safe when I'm deer hunting, and no, it's not because I'm a bad shot. :)

The only exceptions to this would be if I had a turkey tag and one presented a shot or if a wild hog gave me a shot somewhere other than Tennessee where it's now illegal to shoot them.

I only kill what I intend to eat, and while I don't know about the rest of you, I'm not in a hurry to eat a coyote.

13. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am the same when deer hunting, that is the only animal I would shoot.

I do kill animals I don't intend to eat, though. Crow, fox, woodchuck (may eat that). I will bring them home and grind them up into dog/cat food but it wouldn't bother me if I didn't do that either.

14. abates352

abates352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to agree that i would take a riskier shot at a yote, but since i am poor, and dont like replacing arrows all of the time i would not take a really bad shot or a low percentage shot on any animal. I would also agree that it takes a whole lot less to kill a coyote than a whitetail. I have even shot a coulple with field pionts, just wanting them to die elsewhere. dont like dead yotes under my stand.

15. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I started deer hunting (shot gun only) I used to shot one or two coyotes during our firearms season, but as I grew older and started Bow Hunting I didn't want to waste an arrow on anything other than a deer. Last year I had a big alpha male walk under my stand while bow hunting and he presented several shots for me that would have been easy to take; however, I decided at that time that I was deer hunting not coyote hunting. Moving forward, during this summer I really studied up on Deer activity, habitats, and just the general methodology behind successful deer management. In my studies, much of which I learned from BH.com, I had come to learn the consequences of high numbers of coyotes, and their affects on the deer population.
    So, when October 1st arrived I had 6 arrows in my quiver. 3 for deer 2 for turkeys and 1 for coyotes. My coyote broad head was an old cheap one from Wal-Mart, about 10 years old. Unfortunately, I was never presented with a shot, nor did I see one during any of my sit’s, but I’d like to think I would practice the same ethical shots that I would take on a deer, because I would feel horrible if I was to cause any pain to a creature that would last a long time, like for instants, a head shot or an a$$ shot. But if I could hit its vitals, then it’s on, even at 50 yards.

16. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deer or coyote, if I see one and it's within a reasonable range, I'm flinging an arrow.

17. Scljrl

Scljrl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ THis

18. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I don't care about angle (simply because their bones aren't enough to stop from any angle) but I'm not going to intentionally shoot one in the guts just because I can't get a better shot. If killing them at any cost is important.........then why not go out for them intentionally, do your deer herd some good, and take a rifle?

19. llcor517

llcor517 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Best Shot

Full Draw 4.jpg i would try to take the best shot possible to kill the animal any animal

20. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    +1 on what Christine said.

I raise cattle every year we lose a couple calves to coyotes and that can add up to a lot of money. I don't mind wasting an arrow to try to hit a coyote. I kill a lot every year, mainly with a rifle but I have shot them with a bow and taken longer shots at them with a bow just because they were in pastures that I have cows in and if I wound them or scare them away I don't care.