What would YOU Do with this BIG Buck?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by HawgNSonsTV, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up in Lake Co. and the deer there are definitely a lot more acclimated to humans then anywhere else I've lived. I've watched deer walk straight down highway 12 between Volo and Fox Lake. I worked in the forest preserves for the summer too and it was not hard to get animals there to eat out of your hands while you were on lunch break.

It's cool when a squirrel climbs over you and doesn't realize your a person, it's not nearly as cool when they recognize that you're a person and still decide to approach.

2. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up in Lake Co. and the deer there are definitely a lot more acclimated to humans then anywhere else I've lived. I've watched deer walk straight down highway 12 between Volo and Fox Lake. I worked in the forest preserves for the summer too and it was not hard to get animals there to eat out of your hands while you were on lunch break.

It's cool when a squirrel climbs over you and doesn't realize your a person, it's not nearly as cool when they recognize that you're a person and still decide to approach.

3. HawgNSonsTV

HawgNSonsTV Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok ok ... if YOU guys think it's not a good idea to befriend the animals just because you hunt them, I will take your advice. It is such great advice, so well thought out. ..................... NOT!!! To each his own, You do YOUR thing and I'll KEEP on doing my thing!

Thanks guys it's been very enjoyable to read your ideas!

4. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I couldn't do it. Anything that recolonize me as a friend is no challenge to hunt. In the past I've walked up on a Doe and she looked at me and kept on grazing. I brought my crossbow up to shoot. She raised her head lowered it and kept grazing. I walked up to touch her she stood there. No Challenge.

Similar thing happened after a long hunt, changed areas walked up on a Spike buck. It just didn't seem to care and kept grazing and I went the other direction. It didn't present a challenge.

Was in Rhodes Greece met to Swedish females that laughed and walked away....

Game on!!!

5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If shooting deer that have little to no fear of humans is hunting to you, then by all means kill him next year. Shouldnt be much of a challenge. I bet you can get some great footage. Maybe you could wait and kill him under a double rainbow.

6. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hardcore hunter, is that you? I thought you were in New Mexico?

7. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never witnessed a whitetail "buck" of that age act like that ... It all boils down to pressure for the most part, but to jump on the coat tails of what Duke talked about.. There is something wrong with that deer or he is definately getting fed and has been fed since he was a youngster... I do know of one doe that lives on one of the properties that I hunt, she shows very little signs of fear of humans or to me anyways, I can walk by her as long as I dont stop and she will just let me walk.. I've been within 30 yards of her and she will just watch me .. done it a few times.. She acts so much different than the other deer in the woods there that I almost wonder if she has something missing upstairs... Shes only 2.5 at the oldest now. If she ever strays off the ground I hunt, I have a feeling she will get whacked... I dont hunt does in there so she's safe with me, I dont think I would ever shoot her even if I had a tag... She just doesnt seem right..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  8. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One word... FWWWWTHMP!

9. BOWSPEC

BOWSPEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go for a knife kill!!

This deer wouldn't be a challenge for you to kill, like others have mentioned...I wouldn't feel right about shooting any deer on that property from the sounds of it.

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    BWAAHHHAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAA!!!

HCH moved back to Iowa and declared the former cesspool of a state the new promised land of milk and honey. Funny how that happens. Seems like wherever he goes, the sun seems to shine a little brighter.

He was promptly removed from a forum or two. Seems the locals werent in the mood to play with him anymore.

11. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you think the deer has some issues watch the rainbow video

12. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would personally put on some nice clothes, a few sprits of Aqua D Gio cologne....roast a nice duck in cranberry sauce, buy a nice bottle of wine and head to the woods for a nice candlelight dinner...........o wait, its a friggin deer, I would shoot it, remove the guts, take it home and cape it out, process the meat and take the head to my taxidermist.

13. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should have been there later that night....Everything has a way of leveling out in the end only if you play your cards right.

Ever been to Rhodes Greece or the Isle of Mykonos?

BEYOND AWESOME!!!!!!

:nana: 62549924_dance_gif.jpg image-aHR0cDovL2JsdWJlZGJ1aWEwMTo4My9pL0UyLzFBNzU1NEVGQ0FBM0YzOTg3OUZCM0UxNjU4NTc1Ri5qcGc.jpg

14. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    t, thanks for hitting me up on my email, i'll find out end of Feb. yeah lets get some ice and then drill some holes! last weekend left to see if i can fill my freezer!!!!!!!!!! then it'll be bluegill/sunnies and crappies for a while.

15. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seriously??

When I lived up there, in C'ville, I had deer in the yard every day. During the day. They weren't afraid of me or any other people. They weren't even afraid of my dog. I would throw sticks and walnuts at them and at best I could get them to go 50 yards away. (just past my walnut throwing range)

They truly were some of the worst vermin around. My neighbor said he was going to get a crossbow and gut shoot them all. I advised against it but I understood the sentiment.

Sure, I could have stood in the woods and gotten some great footage but that would be lame. There is nothing cool about human habituated deer.

16. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I'm not making my point clear enough or people aren't reading it thoroughly... or they just think they know what I'm saying.

Sure.. this does happen Chris.. Feb.. Bigstick.. but in all references they were being fed basically.. which is what my post said.

I stated in my original post it could be the only way.. and the way I suspect based on the original posters older videos.

I didn't say it doesn't happen.. but only deer habitually fed... or otherwise odd.

Yes Christine I've seen plenty of deer in yards meandering around feeding.. but they've never came to me.. which is what happens in the original posters vid. The deer actually goes towards the dude.

If the deer went for you.. chances are another human must have fed them.

That's all I said yo's.. I'm not sure where the confusion originates.

Plus you took my statement out of context Chris (a huge problem amongst forum posters).. I said while hunting.. you've hunted lake county, Illinois.. have you had a deer go toward you while hunting?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  17. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have. Sometimes they get close enough for me to shoot them. The deer never walk toward you? How high are your stands? Do you have a good back drop? Playing the wind? Maybe you need some better camo...or need to sit still.

18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had plenty of deer come at me. Usually because they don't know I'm a person. ;) (we don't know that this deer knows what it's looking at) But I've certainly had deer come at me that have seen me and must know that I'm a person. Heck, I had a little six pointer follow me all the way back to my truck once.

..and the deer in C'ville weren't being fed, they just helped themselves to anything in the yard. I'm sure if we had been feeding them, they'd be like the squirrels there and eat from my hand.

19. HawgNSonsTV

HawgNSonsTV Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I joined this forum I never imagined just how many experts of nothing and legends in their own minds there would be on this forum. WOW ... I could really learn from you guys & girls (Christine is a girls name but you act like a guy???) unfortunately I don't need any bad habits!

... And for you members that are not jealous, Thanks for your kind words!

20. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks as if you fit in just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.