Bow is shooting to the left after putting the lbs up.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by HEIMEDW, Jan 5, 2012.

1. HEIMEDW

HEIMEDW Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just put my bow up to 65lbs from 60lbs and now it is shooting to the left. The longer the shot the more to the left it hits. I though it would shoot more to the right if anything after putting up the draw weight? Im right handed.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am assuming you adjusted both limbs equally. What counts is how the arrows are flying/grouping. It's completely normal for your groups to move when you change draw weight and much depends on your spine stiffness, arrow length, FOC weight etc... Are these correct? If so move your sights in the direction you are missing. If you are missing an inch left at 20 yds, you should be missing 1.5 inches at 30 yds and missing 2.0 inches at 40 yds. If it is consistent, you should be okay, just adjust your sights.

3. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Increasing the DW will cause the dynamic spine to become weaker and that would cause your arrows to start shooting to the left. You will have to make rest or arrow adjustments to compensate for the weaker dynamic spine.

4. Grits

Grits Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a question. If you choose an arrow that is let’s say, for the sake of argument, in the middle of the stated manufacture's range for the tip weight, draw length, and draw weight, can you assume if you have problems with your arrow hitting left or right it is not the spine that is the problem ?

I just wanted to make sure because I will be paper tuning my first bow next week.

5. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't assume that but spine may not be the first thing I look at.

6. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ This!!

7. HEIMEDW

HEIMEDW Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My draw is 27" my arows are 26.5" 350's. Will different arrow nocks effect accuracy? I find that some nocks are tight on the string and some are loose.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your spine is now weaker like Bruce stated

9. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Could be something else.... Easton Tuning Guide ( http://www.eastonarchery.com/pdf/tuning_guide.pdf ) I'm thinking it's more rest alignment, and maybe you were stiff to begin with or something changed in your mechanics because the increase in weight. Are you using a sight with a level, and is it level??? Have you tried a walkback tune??? What bow are you shooting DL and DW, and what arrows are you shooting, size (i.e. Carbon Express 350 Maxima, Beman ICS 340) and what tip weight. If you're shooting a 65# bow with an IBO of 330fps, and a DL over 28", you need to have at least a .340 spined arrow. But you're reaction seems more STIFF spine like, if I read correctly what you said...

10. HEIMEDW

HEIMEDW Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ohbowhntr

I have a hoyt carbon element, qad rest, shooting 350 grain 26.5" carbon express pile driver hunters with 100grain field tips and broadheads. yes my sight has a level and its ok. My draw lenght is 27". Yes I have walk back tested and thats how I found that its shooting to the left now. I was expecting after putting the draw weight up that I would be shooting high and would only have to adjust the pins up.(not the case). Yes it was also shooting bang on before I put the draw weight up. Also this is my first compound bow.

11. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm assuming that's a Carbon Express 350 arrow like a Maxima or something. Not a 350gr arrow, what are the NUMBER and NAME on the arrow. Adjust the rest per the walkback tune, and try a BH at 20yds and see what that tells you after you have everything good at 40 w/ FP's...

12. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    French tune , then walk back tune

13. Shoobee

Shoobee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is called "archer's dilemma." Due to the flex of the shaft, it can go either way.

You probably need new arrows now, rated for a higher draw weight.

Whenever I begin to tune a bow, with a given set of arrows, I always line up the rest, the bowstring, and the sight.

But due to archer's dilemma they never shoot exactly straight, due to the flex in the arrow, which varies with various given arrow constructions.

I like my base and my bowstring to be right on, therefore it is the sight that I will vary.

If you don't use a sight, then it is the base that you need to vary.

Have fun! This is why archery is so much fun.

And there are a lot of really talented and smart people on this web site forum, who give really good advice.

14. Shoobee

Shoobee Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, exactly right.

15. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
  16. HEIMEDW

HEIMEDW Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the help.