One pin takes me out to 40 yards!?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by _DANNY_, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm shooting a 2011 Bowtech Invasion and plan to keep it for another year 61 lbs 29'' draw dead on at 30 will put me 1.5'' high at 20 and 1'' low at 40 and 3'' low at 50 with a 390 grain total arrow weight arrow , Can i tighten the point of impact spacing up ? sure with a 315 grain total weight arrow , why dont i use it for hunting ? i want a little bit more pennatration and a little bit more quieter bow , am i shooting 331 fps with the 315 grain arrows ? yes , but 311 fps is fine with me with 3 pins 30 - 40 - 50

2. ILLUSION HUNTER

ILLUSION HUNTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why would any bow company claim their bow does that when they know it can't. I would think that there would be some p-ohd customers if they thought when they bought a bow they could shoot one pin out to 40 yards and then found out that it doesnt come close. Can't the bow company get in trouble for making false claims. I guess they could just say if you sight your first pin out to 40 yards it will reach there LOL.

3. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    The Invasion and any other bow for as much as thats concerened will shoot there IBO speeds with nothing on the shooting string shooting min. of 5 grains per pound on the arrows , a 60 lb Invasion shooting a 30'' draw with a 300 grain arrow will shoot 343 fps and the same with a 70 lb Invasion shooting a 30'' draw with a 350 grain arrow it will shoot 343 , every inch or draw and every little bit you put on your shooting string and every arrow 1 grain over its 5 grain per pound will lower the bow speed .

4. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not a snowball's chance in HELL!!! You're gonna have FAR MORE than an inch drop between 30 and 40yds, and far more than 3" drop between 40 and 50.....

Use the link I provided earlier, those numbers are inflated, and you can halve the numbers once you get past the "archer's paradox," but the drop will still be significantly higher than you're claiming. Even assuming the arrow maintaining 350fps, the drop is far the 1" and 3" you mention. Actually, from 1.5" high at 20 to spot on at 30, goes completely against common sense that the arrow will only be an inch low at 40, because we all know that gravity has and ACCELERATING force, and it the drop will INCREASE as the time in flight increases.... 32feet per SECOND SQUARED.... or 9.8meters per second squared....

5. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    My bow is shooting exactly what i stated

6. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Then you're arrows are defying gravity..... I believe if the arrows are flying that way, then you are compensating.... Put your bow in a Hooter Shooter and it absolutely will not shoot as you describe.

Gravitational pull formula..... (t = time in seconds) 9.8meters (or 32feet) x (t x t) = drop for all intensive purposes. Now the time for the 20-30yds will be LESS than the time for the 30-40yds, therefore the drop will also be lessened between 20-30yds, than for 30-40yds. Do the math yourself, and you'll find that it's indisputable....

Assuming an arrow travels 350fps, in 20yds it travels 60ft, which takes it .171 seconds (actually longer in the real world, but we'll just pretend it maintains 100% of it's velocity...

32 x (.171 x .171) --> 32 x .0292 = .934feet of drop... Now you halve this number, because you really only have HALF of that drop, because you initially over compensate for it by aiming above. Therefore, the drop is really only about 5.5", and you can take away about 4" or so maybe because you're starting out with the arrow below line of sight, therefore, you end up with about 2" or so of drop, once you've achieved line of sight, and then dropped back down to line of sight.

Now move out to 40yds, and the time part of the equation doubles to .342, and .342 squared is .117, so now you have .117 x 32feet = 3.7FEET!!! Again, assuming a 350fps projectile, and that projectile not losing any velocity, which we all know it will. Take that 3.744 FEET, halve it to 1.872ft or roughly 22.5", now take away your 4" or so again, and you have about 18.5" left..... Where does that leave you???

7. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll agree with Doug on this. I ran the numbers through a trajectory calculator and get 2.92" high at 20 yards, dead on at 30 yards, 7.86" low at 40 yards and 21.22" low at 50 yards. Maybe the arrows are helium filled.

8. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    :bash:

Probably need that to get you back to reality, because you're NOT gonna be getting 331fps out of that bow at 29" and with a 315gr arrow I don't believe. The Invasion was actually one of the more underperforming bows of 2011, rated less than 2 fps faster than a Hoyt CRX32. While there may have been a LOT of hype, it really was more like a 330 or less IBO rating in the REAL WORLD. 311fps with a 390gr arrow??? :lmao: Not happening!!! Even with ROUGH calculation, it's pretty obvious.... 1fps per 3grains over IBO = -30 plus another -10 for the 1inch DL drop, and I'm sure you have a loop and peep, which is gonna get you another 3-5fps drop.... So it looks like -43fps at a minimum so maybe 300fps, but then take into account the underperformance of that bow, again, less than 2fps faster than a CRX32, which was a 323 IBO rated bow, so we'll say it's a 330fps TRUE IBO RATING, then you're looking around 287fps, which is right about where it probably shoots real world.

As a CLAIMED pro-staffer, I'd expect you'd have the knowledge to present you're numbers a little better in order not to appear like someone who makes extravagant, bordering on false, claims.

I'd recommend that you download a copy of OnTarget2 or Archers' Advantage in order to have a little better grasp on things, and then maybe look into some unbiased bow testing and see where bows rate in the REAL WORLD.

9. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    Nope , i'm fine

10. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    First of all what FOC and what is my arrow weight ? If you feel to make yourself look big and bad and put others down i'm happy for you , lets get off of the computer balistics and shoot real world , i'll meet ya any time here is my phone # 502 - 386- 3675 , a 300gr arrow with 5 % foc with a 29 / 60 bow , lets see how much it drops in the real world , i've shot and killed deer with my set up for the last 3 years lets here how its wrong , lets see if its to light of weight , lets see if it drops more than i say it does ........I may usre a 390 grain arrow for Elk and Black Bear but my Deer set up will shoot a single fixed pin out of my Invasion to 40 yards with less drop than you think so ........been using it for two years and putting down Deer so prove me worong..........not talking charts or hooter shooters either.........and by the way i do own a hooter shooter wanna see a pic ? with me by it flipping you the bird or what ever you want me to put by it to prove i own one .....How about a OHbowhntr sign in the back ground ......before you tell me the difference in arrow drop between the charts you better tell me the real world drop between a 125 grain aqnd a 75 grain tip out of the bow i'm actually shooting not a cyber bow ............We are not talking balistics of bullets , we are talking balistics of humans shooting a arrow because i'm sure you do not strap your hooter shooter to your tree stand now do ya

11. Hoosier Daddy

Dislikes Received:
    and to finish my Quote the Manufactures i pro staff for are not only sponcers of mine but real close friends i've been with for many yearsa and there are many more and if you want to follow up on that they are Tinks and the one you want to contact them you are more than welcome , Terry Rohm , STS archery , Guy Fitzgerald of Team Fitzgerald , You are more than welcome to contact each and every one of them that i'm on there Pro staffs not a field staff that i shoot videos of my hunts for there TV comercials , i'm sure you seen a few for Lumenok and Bohning Archery ..............So dont try to preech to me and tell me what i'm doing wrong just because you didnt like what you read .......mabe you may of made a point on certain things with my numbers because i really didnt care what i said at the moment but that doesnt make it right that you try to take me to school on what i've done for 35 years of my life and kill things year round , so , on - target can suck my azz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.