Bowhunters vs. Gunhunters...who we really need to be against.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tynimiller, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To answer the original question, I bow hunt and gun hunt. Love them both. Love hanging out and talking about both types of hunting. Not a big deal.

2. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kind of like there is a difference between a thief and a robber.

3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with both weapons and love both ...

When I bow hunt it is 90%+ by myself ... bowhunting is my favorite way to hunt with nothing else in the mix ...

When I gun hunt it comes with tons of tradition and camaraderie with my family ... gun hunting is more active many times ... still hunting is a viable method of hunting with a gun .... but mostly it is family .. my dad and nephews .. brother ... Andrew will be gun hunting this year ..

At this point it my life, if I had to give one up, it would be bowhunting .... the traditions have not been made with others, try as I might ..... I would rather share gun season with loved ones than bowhunt alone ...

I hope this makes sense ... If I lived alone in a state, I would rather bowhunt .... it's the tradition and family that would make me choose gun over bow ... thank the Good Lord I can do both!!

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Apparently you are not from the south are you Vito??

A redneck is a person who likes to party, have fun, won't back down from anything at any time for any reason. He/she will help others with anything, any time for any reason. They ganerally like big jacked up 4x4 trucks, wear cowboy boots, wrangler jeans with a scoal ring, usually wears a ball cap and for dress they ussually wear a western style hat. The believe in God, family and country. In essance, they are just plain southern boys with a big ole party side.

Plain white trash is precieved to be the same but, they are basically broke Kid Rock's. Loud, trashy, dirty, rude and will pretty much run from anyone who stands up to them unless they know they can win hands down or have all their buddies to back them up. Not only do most live in trailer parks (not every person in a trailer park is white trash) but they generally drive cars that are on their last leg. They spend their food stamps on weed, crack and meth or any pill they can crush and get up their noses. If they don't have the money for any of this, thats when they become criminals. They have no regard for God, Family and Country. Most of the time they couldn't tell you what our presidents name is. Add all that to crappy tattoo's and inmate numbers memorized, you have white trash. Not a Redneck.

So to answer you question vito, a robber and a thief are pretty much the same but, a Redneck and White trash are not.

5. octhereicome

octhereicome Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    went gun hunting once.....deer ran up 100yard i dropped her and went home and never again will i take the gun out bow is where its at....yea i know a few gun hunters that shoot 3-5 rounds at a deer in the field running away thats if they can reload fast enough

6. Dredster747

Dredster747 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry, but if you can kill a deer at over 700 yards, then yes you can legitely call that cheating. What kind of skill does that take? You don't have to be quiet, hold still, you can wear whatever you want, and you don't even have to study how the deer move, or get to see them in their natural environment. You might as well be hunting from your vehicle. But go ahead and keep shooting deer at over 700 yards, but you will never, ever get the same satisfaction that a bowhunter gets when he/she kills a deer.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

7. TheTrailerHunter55

TheTrailerHunter55 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i both gunhunt and bowhunt and love them both. i personally am not going out in a field and blazing away at any deer i see. i only shoot bucks (that is if i even see a deer). i do so in an ethical way which should not be challenged by anyone. all of the shots i have taken with a gun have been within 60 yards, because of landscape. all shots i have taken were lethal. on another note, a gun has the potential to put a deer down as soon as you shoot it. i would like to think that deer die as soon you hit them with either a bow or gun and they just run on adrenaline! anyways i am not against gun hunting like most of you here. I LOVE BOTH for different reasons! how is piercing razorblades through a deer any better than shooting a deer with a gun? and i note I LOVE HUNTING x10000000000

8. TheTrailerHunter55

TheTrailerHunter55 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    and i do agree that the rush of having a deer within 20 yards is unlike anyother!

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Important point ... I shoot almost all my gun deer within 50 yards
    ... most of them 30 or less

10. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a deer with a muzzleloader once, never picked up a rifle for them again. Using a gun doesn't challenge me or let me interact with the deer. 50 yards or more and you might as well be shooting at paper IMO.

I don't care if people use guns to hunt, it's the ethics of a hunter that bother me. Saw a picture of a deer a guy shot this weekend. He clipped a branch and it shattered the deer's leg. It ran for 100 yards and he put one in her face. I've seen deer that people put five rounds in a deer and have to reload to kill it. A buddy of mine saw a line of people opening day at the counter of Walmart picking up their deer licenses for gun and even a guy asking which rifle was the right one for the job the same day over at Gander.

I have the same dislike for the guys who run to the range the day before deer with their bow and then run to the pro shop to get a new string, site, etc., because they didn't think to check to see the quality of their weapon the day before they wanted to shoot something with it.

People that are lazy and unethical during hunting are more likely to choose a method of killing that fits their attitude. I'm a lot more likely to find a guy that has never shot a slug through their gun out in blaze than I am someone that hasn't put an arrow through their bow. Not to mention that the process of getting a deer is more labor intensive for a bowhunter than a rifle hunter. I hate to paint too wide a brush, but stereotypes aren't created from thin air.

If you shoot gun and are an ethical hunter, my hats off to you.

11. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unimportant point, IMO. if you saw one at 100-150+ it would then be off limits?:ninja: LOL Bowhunting REQUIRES you to stick within those ranges, with the added difficulty of getting to full draw. No luxury of being able to kill anything within sight.

(The rest of this isn't a response to you PT, just my general thoughts on the subject)

My three biggest complaints with gun hunting, at least with guys in KY are this:

1. They feel a need to defend them gun hunting in the first place

2. They use the tradition/deer camp camaraderie excuse. Where I am from, it is perfectly legal to use a bow during rifle season....and I have never been to a deer camp who would belittle me for leaving for the afternoon hunt with a bow in hand rather than rifle. The camaraderie comes from the people around you, not the weapon in your hand.

3. They use the distance excuse that all their gun kills are in bow range anyway. It's like a guy in a ferrari challenging a ford focus to a race since he only drives his ferrari to work and has never gotten it above 45 mph. Doesn't mean it can't do so when needed, lol.

I don't care who bow hunts and who gun hunts. I used to do both, and may in the future for some reason I can't see now gun hunt again.... but as of now, I just don't get satisfaction with the rifle in hand when deer hunting anymore. I don't like knowing that I can literally kill anything as far as I can see. When bowhunting, if I see a buck at 200 yards out, it is only the beginning! IF I lived in a state that wouldn't allow a bow to be used during gun season (which would be a stupid law), I would probably take back up gun hunting to extend my season unless bow season continued after gun season as well. I'll congratulate a guy for his gun hunting success, as long as he spares me his reasoning for gun hunting or comparisons to bowhunting. They aren't the same, they aren't even close. The mindset you have entering the woods, how you approach an area, stand placement, all are different.

12. TheTrailerHunter55

TheTrailerHunter55 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    only issue with bowhunting during gunseason at least in wisconsin is you have to wear blaze orange

13. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is NO comeraderie when no one will bow hunt with you or at all ... the only bowhunters that can spew the "challenge" of getting in close routine are traditional guys ... so if you REALLY wanna feel good about your kill .... stick and string baby!!!! The gap is greater IMO .... it takes WAY more time.to become proficient at killing with trad ....anyone can pick up a modern compound and in a few sessions kill a deer with it ...

14. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just biding my time till I can kill a deer with my bare hands. I'm planning on going to traditional, then knife and finally my own two hands. I'm hoping to accomplish it before I turn 40.

I'm not joking.

15. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This one's gonna get good..

16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get caught up with what others are doing. I simply walk into the woods with my bow and hunt, regardless of season. If guys are gun hunting 150 yards from me, then so be it. KILL.

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely in the top 5 of my favorite people on here :)

18. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why must you have a gun in your hand for them to hunt with you. Can you guys not go out hunting together him gun and you bow? Or does your state not allow that? Again, hunting partners make camaraderie not weapons.

The "challenge" I spewed of bowhunting was archery in comparison to gun hunting. You have to approach them completely different. Gun hunting is all about getting setups with good visibility of crossings (since most gun seasons are during the rut it seems). Bowhunting is about getting in close to these crossings/bedding areas/etc with the risk of spooking the deer increasing ten fold. Then once there, you must stand and draw back your bow on the animal without being seen. Gun hunting requires none of that. You can set back from afar, not worry about scent, and have the luxury of knowing that if you see it you can kill it. I can see the attraction of this for some people and don't look down at guys who do so (ALL my friends gun hunt), so long as they don't compare it to bowhunting since they killed a deer that came in to 30 yards with their gun. If it had hung up at 130 yards, they still would have killed it. THAT is the difference.

If you really want to compare trad vs compound as a rebuttal to my views on gun hunting (NOT the point of this thread).... How you approach hunting doesn't change when you need to get within 40 yards vs 20. You STILL must approach travel routes/bedding areas/food destinations the same way. The main (only imo) difference is that you must spend much more time in the off season to be proficient with your weapon. I have no qualms with that. I don't strive for that aspect of bowhunting. I am the first to admit that shooting a compound bow is stupidly easy. I shoot mine MAYBE 20 shots a year and am always dialed in. I could do the same with a rifle. The difference is in the difficulty of getting in position for a shot on a live animal, not in difficulty of the weapon itself to master.

19. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They can't carry a bow during gun season ;) I WAN'T to carry a gun during gun season ... for the same reason you want to take a compound rather than a recurve .... easier ;)

I hunt with my gun the same way I hunt with my bow .... I set up the same way ... not getting ya ..

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually will hunt with both, and it really depends on how my season is going.

Example I have had a rough season, have hunted hard with not much luck.....so this weekend I decided to take my gun out in Georgia, I was hunting a box blind and it was honestly very relaxing, took coffe in with me, watched turkeys run around all morning prior to shooting my buck. However that evening I was back moving stands with my bow in hand.

Is the thrill of the kill the same for me with gun VS. Bow......not really anymore. However the pressure relief of getting a kill and meat for the freezer was very rewarding.

I have less than a week before rifle season opens in my part of NC, I am honestly debating on which weapon to take. This statement might not get taken well but.....it depends on where I hunt, if I go to private land I will more than likely carry my bow, if I go to some really deep woods mountain public land I will carry my rifle. This is maily because I haven't had time to take the long walks and scout the public land area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.