Worst Gimmicks

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Straight Shooter, Sep 23, 2011.

1. mr4pt

mr4pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I understand what your saying but a flannel shirt does the same thing. There is no need for Advantage HD, Woodlands, etc.

2. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scentlok and Scent blocker are worthless

Most deer "lures" are crap too

3. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    scentlok is debatable but deer lures are a joke. ive been busted many times when i had deer lure out and there was no deer around(most by older bucks)

4. TexasOutdoorsman

TexasOutdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha I was unaware of some of these.. I think theres a bunch of crap out there we don't need... Heck, 20 years ago people still killed big deer without all these gimmicks

5. jcook!!

jcook!! Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Remember the electronic call that sounded like a feeder releasing the corn sounded like some one was dragging tin cans behind there car!!!lol

6. CowboyBowhunter

CowboyBowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    C'mere deer might as well named it c'mere coon cause that's the only animal I ever seen eat it

Sticks and strings baby!! Just like the Indians

7. G-Man

G-Man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gimmicks

Well, as a fairly new bowhunter at the age of 50 I feel speed is a gimmick, I feel some lures both liquid and mineral are gimmicks. In all seriousness you can find a gimmick in every type of archery thing out there.
    If I say this right and hope you all understand...a bow is a bow is a bow. Now with that said, what do you do to make a bow better? Market it that you need more speed, it's smoother than last years model it's quieter than last years model.
    That's why they call it marketing

8. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    go shoot a 1990 model mathews then shoot a 2011 and tell me a bow is a bow is a bow????????? night and day difference. speed is also no gimmic and ill go back to my 1990 to 2011 comparison. NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE!!!!

9. G-Man

G-Man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gimmicks

I know people who have shot Matthews and have switched to PSE's new EVO dream season because they felt it had a smoother draw and was faster. Matthews has mastered marketing my friend and many buy into it. Don't get me wrong Matthews is a sweet bow and the owner does a lot of great things. But he was the first I believe to begin marketing the need for speed and has done a great job doing it.
    Science says in order to beat a deer at string jump you would have to have a bow that would shoot in the neighborhood of 600fps in order to beat it straight out. Speed is a gimmick!! Marketing has made you believe you need a faster and faster bow.
    It's strange that past generations killed animals with recurve's and long bows and they don't shoot near the speed of these new compounds. What does speed do for you? You can get pass through on less that 60lbs and as low as 50lbs for most North American animals. Again what does speed do?
    When I say a bow is a bow is a bow...I mean the basics are there and with technology we have made them easier to draw, lighter and faster. But basically all bows are good bows it all comes down to "personal preference".
    I respect your thoughts and that's why we have forums.

10. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im not comparing bow manufactures im comparing "a bow is a bow is a bow" a 1990 bow vs a 2011 bow is night and day. in 1990 i would never have shot out to 70 yds with it. i would be aiming at the sky today with my new bow its very doable. speed does matter

11. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Internet forums :sheep:

12. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Amen Brother! I hate it when companies insult our intelligence! Now there is this black rack thing. They try to sell it by saying that real antlers loose their effectiveness for rattling after a year or two............WHAT?!!!

13. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WTH???

14. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  15. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    how about that stupid hand held thing that made a crunching sound that was supposed to be like deer eating acorns!!!!

16. EricZ

EricZ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Firefly wind detector. Seriously? 50 Dollars to tell me which direction the wind is coming from?

17. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to go with.... Cough suppressors and scent lok

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Mission Venture, so not out dated by any means, however my old 1990's hand me down 50 inch or more Browning bow treated me just fine with practice. You claim a 70 yard shot is something you'd never have considered back in the day....there were people back in the 1800's fighting wars shooting that far, and stories have been told numerous times about some of the amazing bowmen of old (no not speaking of Robin Hood).

I see both sides of the arguement, however the new bows only make it more doable to shoot farther because it takes less skill and practice to shoot that far. Your 20 yard pin now day's can be held pretty much barely an inch or two high at 40 yards, if not dead on. The new bows are great, but a bow truly is a bow...if in the hands of a good shooter. The new bows just make it easier to put your arrow on target, without as much practice.

I met a guy just the other day who shoots recurve, and was amazed at how he could shoot 50 yards all day long better than I could! Insane...but then again a bow is a bow is a bow.

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As for gimmicks...I'd have to go with those mirror sided blinds..reflection city!

20. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    any hunting product whose selling point is "uses European technology"

I saw this on a bottle of "Scent cover" at ****s Sporting Goods yesterday.

Or, Android Market has an app that you can buy for like $5.00 that has a bunch of "deer calls" from wheezing to grunts, bleets, and fawns.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that if my dog can tell the difference between my voice, and a digital representation of my voice...so can deer.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011