Biggest whitetail?? Best states?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by geauxtigers1421, Oct 11, 2011.

1. geauxtigers1421

geauxtigers1421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have already made a similar post but didnt get very many replys so i'm gonna try this again. I'm planning on going on a hunting trip for my senior year and I was wondering.... Which state has the most deer (not including Texas) and which state has the biggest deer? Also, which state takes the most B&C or Pope and Young whitetails each year? Thanks for any answers!!!

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Public land or outfitter?

3. geauxtigers1421

Dislikes Received:
    preferably outfitter just cause ill be out of state and new to the area

4. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There was just a magazine article on this but I can't remember all of them. However, there are different answers to all of your questions. Personally I think a good bet would be Nebraska, Kansas or South Dakota. There are big deer in almost every midwest state. I would get a final dollar figure of what you have to spend and do all the research you can. Maybe you can go mulie or cantelope hunting.

5. geauxtigers1421

Dislikes Received:
    I was actually looking at whitetail, muley, or elk... And my price range porob would top out at 3,500 but anything less would be great! Also, if that wouldn't be enough spending more is an option...

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not being short, but it depends on your preference.....I would pick Ohio, Illinois, or Iowa (prefrance points needed for Iowa though)

Think about what you want and google it....then I bet you might could get some feedback on your chosen outfitters.

Good luck!

7. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good research paper to me! :bash:

All jokes aside if you google search P&Y records itll give you a list of the most productive states/counties and so on if thats what you are looking for.

8. geauxtigers1421

Dislikes Received:
    Thats just the problem, haha... I dont know where to start! I want to have a high chance at shooting a big buck. It doesnt have to be a world record so I'm kind of looking for a state with a high population AND big bucks. I have been looking at many outfitters but dont know what to settle on. They all seem to have large bucks but I need to narrow it down on the state or county. It's still a year away but i would like to decide and book it all so it is not lasst minute...
    Also, I am pretty sure I'd rather take a whitetail mainly because it's what ive been hunting all my life and would like to take my first trophy but I also have never seen elk or mule deer personally so I dont have much experience......
    Sorry if this is a little confusing, haha

9. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you've been hunting whitetails all your life, try something new with an outfitter. That way you can learn and have a greater chance. Personally, I'd try elk. Like was said above, go to Pope and Young and do some research.
    Also, don't wait until the last minute. The earlier you get your reservation in the better.

Oh, and look at places in hill country texas, they have exotics!

10. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's not confusing just hard to answer from an outsiders perspective......I personally have never been to an outfitter so I am no help there.

Like lastoneout said google p&y producers.....

There are so many possibilities out there.

11. PCOutfitters

PCOutfitters Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you're going for muley, they're not too hard to figure out. generally speaking they're pressured less and not so skittish. mornings they like to sunbathe on the east side of hills, usually in draws off of valleys. i've never been outfitted for them but i travel to montana yearly with my rifle. i've only been drawn for doe tags, but for all the huge muley bucks i've seen in the specific area i go to it wouldn't be too hard to come back home with a wall hanger. that is if i'll ever get drawn for a buck tag.

12. Ky/Jody

Ky/Jody Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Missouri, Ill, Ky,:nana:

13. Pike OH

Pike OH Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ohio & illinois.

14. geauxtigers1421

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I was looking at that a while back but alot of the outfitters that offer elk either dont have the largest bulls lets just say or are extremely out of my price range... I would love to take an elk though so any info on that would also be greatly appreciated. I have tried looking at Pope and Young and doing some research but cant seem to find a list of the records. All i can find are the world records for each game animal so if anyone knows where to find it please post a link.

Yeah i have taken a look at that too but most of those are all high fenced hunting and are pretty much over populated with game. You kind of go in a stand and take your pick, like target practice... I'm not looking to get "hand fed", I still want to experience the hunt but I want a better chance at bigger animals or just animals I have never had the opportunity to see.

15. geauxtigers1421

Dislikes Received:
    What exactly do you mean by "drawn"? Is there any way you can just buy a buck tag if you want to take a buck? Because if not, muleys are out of the picture! haha

16. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If i had to pick a state for whitetails it would be a pick between, Kansas, Wisconson, Iowa, or Illinios. Those states have aalways produced monster bucks. They also have some great outfitters.

17. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  18. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try Maryland's eastern shore....my dads buddy killed a 174 3/8 bowhunting there.....thats the #4 in the state

19. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll put my area of Southern Indiana up against Kansas , Iowa , Illinois and Ohio any day , there are some big deer here .

20. vectrix27

vectrix27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have not personally hunted it, but dont overlook Kentucky. In a recent magazine, there was an article ranking the states for number of booners and pope and youngs. Also they ranked the average price of an outfitted hunt. Kentucky was ranked number one taking all of that into account. I think western Kentucky is the hot place right now. Good luck to you.