Logging's affect on deer?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cvick48, Sep 5, 2011.

1. cvick48

cvick48 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    so i just found out today that the land that me and my buddy are leasing is going to be logged this week. we have put a lot of work in getting food plots ready this summer and we have a lot of deer that bed on the property. i was wondering what kind of affect this will have on the deer in the area? will they leave for good or will it not bother them much? please help!

2. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess it all depends... where they are logging and such... It's def. not going to help anything while they are in there... Sorry to here this, that is a bummer.

My question is did the Owner notify you of this before paying for the lease? How much of the land is being logged?

3. cvick48

cvick48 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this i dont know. my buddys family is the one who leased it and he's letting me hunt it with him. really bums me out :cry:

4. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe they're just logging a section or part of it... which "could" make other areas hotter in activity... depending on several factors... neighboring property, how much is or isn't being logged, how much land is on the lease all together, what the "un-logged" land is like... etc...

Just going to have to wait and see.

5. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Our farm was logged a few years ago, and it definantly hurt things.

We had to take out some pretty good stands of oak trees. I would say roughly 30% of our 180 acres of woods were logged. I have went through 2 seasons of it, and it looks like this year the areas may be making a comeback for offering up some excellent bedding.

In some of these places, it is so thick you cannot see 10 yards in front of you. Trees to hang a stand in are hard to find though.

6. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's an improvement for the land in the long run. This year things will be disrupted, but you can adapt and even get the loggers to work with you on where they are putting log landings and roads that you can plant down the road.

My question to your original post is you said that the property would be logged "this week"? If they are logging the whole property, than your season might have a serious hiccup in it, if it's just a part, you may be ok.

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have select cut our property off and on for 20 years or so. We do pieces at a time, thinning out the big stuff, etc. Long term it absolutely 100% has a positive affect on deer, turkeys, everything.

I have hunted within a couple hundred yards of them logging. I could actually feel the trees hitting the ground from my stand. The deer, once they get used to the noise, etc., don't seem to mind at all. In fact, my brother, who runs a Timbco machine that cuts the trees down has said that he's actually had deer walk right up to trees that he cut 10 minutes ago and start browsing on the tops. He had to be mindful not to throw a tree their direction while they are in the vicinity.

Don't sweat it. The deer will not mind after a couple days of them cutting.

8. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will agree with what others are saying. My cousin logged out his 350 acres a few years ago, and since then the deer population has tripled on his farm. I would venture to guess that most of that is related to the brushy areas it created. He didn't, however, have any issues killing out when they were logging either. He just hunted on the other side of the farm. :)

9. StrutnBPS

StrutnBPS Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If logging an area hurt deer the South Eastern region of the US wouldn't have any. Wait until after 5:00pm and go sit a top one of the pieces of equipment. Bet you will see deer.

10. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to say. I have seen deer just minutes after a skidder when by about 120 yds away, and actually killed a nice buck about an hour after that.

11. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The property I hunt is getting logged this season also. All the trees are already marked and it seems like a lot of them are coming out. The landowner doesn't seem to really grasp the concept that after everything is cleared, its going to become very thick and dense with underbrush and thicket within the next few years.

12. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My father had our 40 acers logged a few years back and we didn't see a single deer in there for a couple of years and we planted plots?? its hard to say, but hope the best for you and your crew.

13. rtaylor

rtaylor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We had 800 acres clear cut 2 years ago and it worked out fine. The deer were very curious and as soon as the eqiupment was shut off they would come to check it out.

14. cabinkeeper

cabinkeeper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know that next year the brouse will be like a magnet to them.If u have food plots,I believe the deer will still come.Deer adapt very well to us Humanoids.Heck!They're smart enough to hide near houses during rifle season!They may be able to read too''NO HUNTING''signs.....try to keep a positive attitude.If ther're working it during the hunting season,hunt it on weekends?early/late in the day,during the week?Ya just never know.I'd still hunt it
    How bout placing u'rself outside the logging perimeter? on the edges?Use the logging equipment as a blind or stand?
    ...................The only time I have a positive attitude is in hunting season,ask any of my union brothers:nana:..............

15. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dont let it get you down. If they bed on that property then you should be fine. I hunt logged property and the deer population seemed to grow afterwards. Plus the logging trails are really nice to hunt on. ANNND now you can get around the land a little easier with quads if you guys have em.

16. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on what the timber management plan entails. What % of trees are being harvested and where in relation to the deer bedding and feeding.

17. Ky/Jody

Ky/Jody Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is my experience. My friend had his 150 farm select cut. I raised all kind of hell about this(30 yrs ago). Well, I was so wrong. Deer were drawn to the tree tops. It waqs unbeliable. Then came all the new browse, awsome. Logging has very little affect on deer. They travel new logging roads.