Bow Hunting must haves!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by KyleLewis, Aug 28, 2011.

1. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks to Hurricane Irene I'll be stuck inside today! So I'm hoping to spark up a topic everyone can benefit from. So the question is What are some things you must have to be a successful, accurate and prepared bow hunter? I'm really excited to see what some of you ol' timers come up with. hahaha I know this is a extremely vague question but I think if everyone just drops a few pointers here regarding being prepared, accurate and ultimately tagging and dragging this could be a helpful thread.

2. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Binos, range finder, powdered wind indicator, aerial map, and my grunt call. Obviously I'll need my bow and release. :)

3. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good set of pruners too.

4. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Finch. I like your pet deer profile pic. lol

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I will just add one preparation method I'll be practicing this year as a result of a few unfortunate incidents last season. Add a small portable target like the 18-1, and fire one arrow before your hunt (applicable to afternoon hunts only obviously) to make sure your bow is still dialed in. Transporting the bow in and out vehicles and up and down trees all season can result in sights being bumped, rests getting tweaked/stuck, etc.

6. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The older I get, the fewer "must have's" I feel there are. Bow, arrows, sharp broadheads. Everything else is a convenience.

7. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks although that is not a pet. That is a fawn I resqued a few years ago from an old dog I had. Took it back to where the momma was last seen and left it. The next day I went back and it was dead. Guess it suffered some internal injuries.

8. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    dont forget your Butt Out Tool , best invention ever .......lol

9. the mechanic

the mechanic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good pair of comfortable boots, good clothing for the conditions you'll be in, stuff like that. If you aren't comfortable (as one can be) then hunt will suck. And obviously other things like a good sharp knife, fall arrest harness you are familiar with... The list goes on.

10. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thermacell and Water can alsobe added to the list.

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bow, arrows, broadheads, and a good pair of boots is all I need. Heck, I could hunt in tennis shoes if it came down to that. Only other thing that I use a ton is my GPS because I am constantly moving around, never hunting in the same spot twice and often hunting in areas I have never stepped foot prior to the hunt.

12. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think something that does not get talked about enough versus some of the hunting gadgets people think they need is simply having quality clothing/boots which are able to keep you warm and dry in the field. I upgraded my clothing a couple years ago and it has helped me spend more time on stand during cold, wet, windy weather which increases my odds of taging a good buck.

13. Nate/FL

Nate/FL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Florida must have!!

14. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is my second season and I feel I learned a few things from last season. This subject being one. I will be packing in my fanny pack: small LED flash light for abackup just incase, Spare 3-AAA batteries for my headlamp (again just incase), small bottle of scent elliminating spray for the last 100yd to my stand, use every 2 hours and incase I have to cross a path (try not too do this but, I have one stand I have to to get too), Bino's, wind indicator, Stand lock key for the stand I am hunting (incase I see I need to move that stand after the hunt If Im in I may as well move it then if it needs to be moved), Bottle to spit in, bottle of water, small camera, knife, compass and of course bow and arrows. For the Rut: add grunt call, Primos can and rattle bag.

I won't be using any scents this season at all. Not 100% sure when and where to use them yet and will use it one day when I know how. I need to work on other skills first.

Switch it all and add food and a few snacks for all day sits.

Last season I carried way to much crap. Pretty much every accessory I own for hunting went with me every time. I didn't use half of it and when I did, I probably messed up a few hunts using things like calls, scents and rattle bag at the wrong times of the season. When I didn't it was in the way of getting to other things I did need.

15. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A good safety harness and climbing system. Since I've spent the money and bought a good harness and climbing system, I'd never be without one again. The one time I forgot it, I felt naked in the tree and was actually nervous. Best money I ever spent.

16. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to put this on the list. I'm right there with you. I climbed in one of my stands the other week without one on to see where I needed to trim a lane and I felt like I was going to fall and had to get out of it. Just felt wrong.

17. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    King sized Snickers Bar.

18. Ben

Ben Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    water, bow, arrows, sent cover, sent actractant, my fall arest, bug spray, small non noisy food, binos, i like to have my sun glasses it helps in the morning for me, knife, tags, 5 feet of rope, fire starter if something happens, and i think thats it for me, all of this fits in a small camo backpack i have and i hang it on my stand

19. BigStick

BigStick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just when I thought it had been missed, someone puts it up. You need to have a quality knife in the field with you. Something that can do more than cut tags off your new gear too. I always carry a ka-bar with me in the woods:

[​IMG]

I've used his knife for everything from pruning to field dressing and even split wood with it for a fire. A versatile knife is a must have.

20. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here's my brief list.

-bow
    -arrows
    -practice
    -sharp heads
    -practice
    -tag
    -practice
    -patience
    -practice
    -TIW
    -way to contact others I.C.O.E.
    -string for tag
    -headlamp (Browning Nitro)
    -weather report & forecast

Here my alternate list...
    -stand & harness (bow rope, hanger)
    -good knife
    -Canoe, pfd, paddle (perhaps a trolling motor :) )
    -drag buddy
    -wind checker
    -range finder
    -misc calls
    -GPS
    -buddy to help drag
    -and on & on & on ......