broadhead for elk

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckhunter31, Aug 1, 2011.

1. buckhunter31

buckhunter31 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I currently shoot g5 t3 would that be a good broadhead for elk? I have heard of people saying do not use expandables for elk.

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used a Slick Trick Razor Trick with a total arrow weight of 380gr and blew right though a cow elk at 28 yards

3. stuntriders

stuntriders Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think a lot of people are going to tell you to stay away from expandables for elk, and I agree. Get yourself a proven fixed blade broadhead. I use the Muzzy MX-3.

4. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Montec. Stay away from expandables is the best advice I can give.

5. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would highly recommend staying away from expandable's. How many pounds are you shooting? arrow weight? On a slower set-up I would recommend a COC head; G5 Montec, NAP Hellrazors, Wac'em, Magnus Stingers.. Other heads I would recomend would be Muzzy MX3/4, Shuttle and Terimal T-loc, G5 Strikers, or Slick Trick.

6. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Muzzy - but have never shot at an Elk (hope to change that soon).
    Bottom line - get something well constructed - even if an expandable...then practice to become a very good shot.

Many Elk fall to expandables as well - from a tuned bow of a confident shooter - any well made broadhead will work.

7. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My Muzzy MX-3 blew through both sides of my big bull elk last year so fast I thought I'd missed... He didn't flinch, but looked around behind him at the sound of my arrow burrying itself in a log six feet behind him.

I've taken a ton of deer, an antelope and an elk with MX-3s... this year, I'm going to their solid-steel version of the MX-3 which comes in at 125 grains screwed into a 50-grain Muzzy brass insert (I've always used the 50-grain insert, with the exception of my antelope hunt when I built a very light arrow for a flatter-shooting rig)...

I'm thinking 175 grains up front with feathers in back is gonna be bad to the bone... even more so than 150 up front was. :D

8. northernredneck

northernredneck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like everyone else has said i would try to stay away from the expandables. I shoot muzzy mx-4 and have shot both a cow and bull and have had less than a 60 yrd tracking job both times, and i only shoot a medium weight arrow setup. best of luck though.

9. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, I would avoid an expandable head all together. I shoot the G5 Striker and get excellent arrow flight out of them over the past few set ups.

That is not to say it hasn't been done, heck I even know of a few people that have taken elk with expandables. Just not my choice.

10. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say, use that braodhead which gives you the utmost confidence while afeild. Don't be stigmatized by what other people say; many worthy bulls have fallen to expandables. I will provide the photos if you need evidence. I would also consult each state's Game Regulations (since you haven't mentioned where you will be hunting). After all, it's the will of the people, who give you the privilege to hunt, you should concern yourself with. I've amassed a few and it appears Oregon, Idaho, and Washinton prohibit the use of mechanical broadheads:

Colorado:

Hand-held bows, including compound bows, must use arrows with a broadhead having a minimum 7/8-inch outside diameter or width and minimum two steel cutting edges. Each cutting edge must be in same plane for entire length of cutting surface. Only legal, hand-held bows allowed during archery seasons. Minimum draw weight of 35 pounds required. Let-off maximum of 80 percent.

Wyoming:

When hunting Elk, Moose or Wild Bison, the hunter must be equipped with a bow of not less than 50 pounds draw weight or possessing the ability to cast an arrow of 500 grain weight at least 160 yards. The broadhead of arrows or bolts shall be of sharp steel with a minimum cutting width of one inch.

New Mexico:

Sights on bows may not magnify targets or project light. Arrows must have broadheads with steel cutting edges. No drugs may be used on a hunting arrow and arrows cannot be driven by explosives.

Washington:

f. It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with any arrow or bolt that does not have a sharp broadhead, and the broadhead blade or blades are less than seven-eighths inch wide.

g. It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with a broadhead blade unless the broadhead is unbarbed and completely closed at the back end of the blade or blades by a smooth, unbroken surface starting at maximum blade width and forming a smooth line toward the feather end of the shaft and such line does not angle toward the point.

h. It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with a retractable broadhead.

Utah:

Your bow must have a minimum pull of 40 pounds at the draw or the peak, whichever comes first.

Your arrowheads must have two or more sharp-cutting edges that cannot pass through a 7/8 inch ring. If you’re using expanding arrowheads, the arrowheads must have two or more sharp-cutting edges that cannot pass through a 7/8 inch ring when expanded.

Arizona (to take elk):

Bows with a standard pull of 40 or more pounds, using arrows with broadheads no less than 7⁄8 inch in width with metal cutting edges.

Oregon:

Broadhead blades must be fixed, unbarbed and at least 7/8” wide (except for western gray squirrel). It is illegal to hunt with or
    possess mechanical or moveable blade broadheads when hunting game mammals except western gray squirrel.

Idaho-it is unlawful to pursue or kill big game animals:

• With arrows or bolts having broadheads measuring less than 7/8 inch in width and having a primary cutting edgeless than 0.015 inch thick.

• With any bow having a peak draw weight of less than 40 pounds up to or at a draw of 28 inches.

• With an arrow or bolt wherein the broadhead does not precede shaft and nock.

• With any chemicals or explosives attached to the arrow or bolt.

• With arrows or bolts having expanding broadheads.

• With arrows or bolts having barbed broadheads, which is a broadhead with any portion of which forms an angle less than 90 degrees with the shaft or ferrule.

Montana:

Arrows must have broadheads with at least two cutting edges. Expandable broadheads are legal as long as when expanded they are at least 7/8 inches at the widest point, and weigh no less than 70 grains.

Best wishes on your elk hunt!

11. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow kind of surprised about the draw length requirement in Idaho. I know several women who would be SOL and maybe even a guy or two. I think my buddy actually shoots at 27.5". He could take on an extra .5" if he had to though. That law seems outdated especially with the bows on the market the last few years.

12. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats saying that if your shooting 40# you must have at least a 28" draw. If you shoot 42# you can shoot any DL you want.