Food plot near corn fields?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by SwampDonkey, Jun 19, 2011.

1. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking about planting a food plot on our property. I have been hesitant though because the spots I have to plant food plots are right near corn or soy bean fields. Do you guys think planting the food plot would be worth it or should I just continue hunting the fields and trials?

2. MichiganYoungBlood

MichiganYoungBlood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    we are farmers and we have 40 acres of corn planted next to a woods we hunt. i then planted a narrow row (about 8 rows) of corn along a river by the woods. once we take the corn off the deer will be eating this like candy.

3. SwampDonkey

Dislikes Received:
    Even after the corn is harvested the deer are still in the fields eating the ears that are on the ground. What I'm thinking is the food plot would be easier food for the deer to get. I might just have to try it and see how it works.

4. Rutin

Rutin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It can never hurt to plant something different. Knowing that corn acts as a cover and food source I would plant something green like clover or brassicas to draw them out during the rut.... I have alot of the same setups it sounds like you do.... except I dont own the land but get permission to put small plots in. Knowing corn or beans are already there for them to eat, I would plant something hardy that stays green. Beans, Oats, Brassicas, Rye, ect. Good luck

Do you have a mineral site out now to take inventory and build a relationship with the deer yet?

5. SwampDonkey

Dislikes Received:
    I have several salt licks out in different locations I like to hunt. Thank you for the input. I'm leaning towards planting a clover patch and seeing how that works for me.

6. BOBSS396

BOBSS396 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If Michigan is anything like mn. we get early snow and then the clover fields seem to lack the draw that I am looking for.
    For a good late season draw I would stick with corn or soybeans. or possibly a brassica blend. I do agree that the oats, winter wheat and clover are great choices... But for late season soybeans and corn rule!!

7. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely plant it My personal favorite is a brassica blend :)