Should I keep the mmmph or use a little more speed?!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Boodaddy, May 9, 2011.

1. Boodaddy

Boodaddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Deal is, I shoot a Hoyt Maxxis with a 30" draw on 82 lbs. of draw weight. Obviously, it's freakin throwing them out there. I've been using the Easton FMJ's for hunting and targets. When placed on the chrono I shot 305 fps. I was also a little under spined. Now I've taken on the role of shooting the heavier 300 spine FMJ(extremely heavy). I know that should penetrate an armored truck BUT do you think I should go with a smaller weight same spined shaft for more speed? Any input welcomed! Also I'm hunting whitetail, hog, and smaller game only.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If I was in your shoes I would opt for a slightly lighter & faster arrow simply for the flatter trajectory. Your KE and penetration isn't going to suffer enough to matter - especially just shooting whitetails and hogs.

If you want to knock over a bull moose then keep shooting your same setup. :tu:

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Boodaddy, if your set-up dropped from 305 to 285fps b/c of the new set-up, I would keep the new set-up. 20 fps is not going to make the deer/hogs any more dead, and having the correct spine/set-up for your bow should make it shoot more accurately. Now if your set-up lost 40-50fps b/c of the new arrows, then you might want to rethink your strategy if you are shooting animals out past 30 yards or so.

4. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If they are shooting fine I'd stick with the freight train 300 FMJ. They always leave an exit hole. I shot the 340 FMJ for years and played with the 300 last season. But with my 100 gr broadheads I couldn't get the heavy 300 arrows to fly right. I guess I didn't have enough Front of center weight. I went to a lighter arrow and now am shooting darts again.

5. longtine

longtine Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i guess i would go for more speed. you still should have plenty of KE. i would like the flater shooting it would give me. make judgeing distance alittle more foregiving

6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    If arrow speed drops from 300 fps to say 280 fps, what is the difference in arrow drop at 20 yards in inches, as well as the time it takes to hit the target?

7. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess my motorcycle saying could apply to my theory on arrows too. Speed kills in my book. I still like it though. Every time I purchase new arrows, I go for a lighter weight. I started out around 400gr. My dozen arrows I have now weigh between 348gr and 352. Thats with 100gr tips. I haven't shot the chronograph yet but I can tell it shoots faster and flatter than with the 400gr arrows. I prefer fast and flat.
    If your arrows are passing through the chrono at 305 I'd say you won't have a problem killing anything on your list.

8. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it were me, I'd shoot about 10 pounds less weight and go to a lighter arrow and be about the same in FPS.

9. Boodaddy

Boodaddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you guys or gals for your input!

10. ARYAN1

ARYAN1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would keep the FMJ's

11. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bingo !!! EXAMPLE , using the 5 gpp , if you stay at your minimum 5 grains per pound lets say 70 lb draw a 350 grain arrow 343 fps , a 60 lb draw 300 grain arrow 343 fps loss of KE no wheres enough to even be a concern and also a long time benafit your shoulders will function longer

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    On a target rig of mine changing arrow weight to get 260fps or 280 fps yielded a 1/2" difference in impact on a 3 yard miss at 40 yards.

So basically my point is this, on a hunting setup, speed is basically a non issue. It is the most overrated and misunderstood part of hunting and archery.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  13. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    And I bet the difference in impact times between a bow shooting 300fps vs 280fps at 20 yards is tenths of a second.

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats right thats your point and your oppinion , my oppinion for myself is i want the flatest fastest shooting arrow that carries momentum in return creates KE not treated the same but pretty equal , In most instances a lighter arrow will start loosing KE as soon as it leaves the bow , but with the power of todays bow i personally feel its a non issue , if i loose 2 lbs of KE by shooting a 60 lb bow with a 300 grain arrow shooting with 76 lbs of KE at 343 fps i surely dont opt to shoot a 70 lb bow with a 425 grain arrow with 78 lbs of KE at 343 fps , i'll take a single pin thats pretty close to dead on 10 to 40 pull up draw and shoot to pulling up a cluster of pins in the heat of the moment .

Thats just my own personal oppinion

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  15. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Try hundredths of a second...At 100 yards the difference is 0.2, at 20 yards the difference is 0.04

16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    So does, speed kill?

17. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    and

The difference in point of impact is negligible, and the energy out of that set-up would be enough to punch a hole in anything he'd ever encounter in North America.

AMEN!!!

Boo,
    You'd be best off shooting about 75# if you're shooting .300 spines and tip 'em out with a 125gr tip. Getting up over that on the draw weight will weaken the spine, dropping tip weight drops your FOC, and then you're apt to have more issues with tuning and flyers....

With the efficiency and design of modern bows, 80# bows are almost obsolete. And many people think MORE #'s equals more speed, but in some cases it really doesn't because the more #'s means you need a heavier, stiffer arrow, which in turn negates that speed gain that many people hoped for when going up in weight.

18. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My son gets pasthroughs with a 40# bow at 23" draw and 24" draw. Like I said, this issue is completely misunderstood.

Not saying it doesn't have its place but for hunting, it is completely blown out of proportion.

19. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No, speed sells.

20. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:

Well, then my bow wouldn't sell. :) I just finished cutting/creating 4 test arrows for tomorrows tuning session. 620 grain arrows with right at 300 grains up front. I think the model tells me my bow should only be shooting about 160-165 fps. :) KILL