Dry Firing

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AZChokester, Apr 28, 2011.

1. AZChokester

AZChokester Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many people have dry fired their current bow? I was at an indoor range and the guy next to me dry fired. Sounded like a gun went off.

2. Nate/FL

Nate/FL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My brother had a friend over the other day and he pick up his Matthews Genesis and dry fired it. All it did was pop the string of the cams but it was pretty loud.

3. Gjacobs

Gjacobs Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dry firing is a great way to ruin your bow!!! My buddy dry fired his PSE Xforce and bent his cams. Not good!!!

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never did it (knock on wood) on any bow. I prefer to nock an arrow whether I plan to shoot or not.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  5. AZChokester

AZChokester Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually ducked, as it was so loud indoors that I thought a gun went off.

6. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dry fired my Elite, had an old release and the jaw broke, string came off the cams, luckly nothing damaged. Scared the crap out of myself, the jaw cut into my forearm, will never draw without an arrow again.

7. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dry fired my bow once, I was drawing back and the D loop broke. By the sound of it, I just knew I screwed my bow up, but all was well

8. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it happens by accident from something breaking then so be it, still dangerous. But to intentionally dry fire it is stupid...

9. wadeniebuhr

wadeniebuhr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had an arrow break on me last fall while taking a couple shots before heading to my stand scared the crap outta me. Luckily I didn't lose an eye. The broke when my bow dropped do to an old rotted tow up rope. Ithought I learnd my lesson 3 years ago when I had to put on a new sight. now I got new tow up ropes and dont leave them in the trees for years

10. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Always always always nock an arrow before you draw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IMO drawing back your bow without a arrow nocked is as stupid as pulling the trigger on a gun without knowing if its loaded.
    I watched a guy at a pro shop draw back a brand new monster and left t go he folded the cams and broke one of the limbs. The limb cam back around and sliced his cheek wide open.
    I sure as hell would'nt do that to my bow or anyone elses.

11. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never have personally.
    When I was getting my bow I saw a guy who was getting his set up dry fire. The shop went silent. It didn't do any damage, just the string off the cams.

12. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    After saving for a couple years the day I picked up my brand new Mathews my brother happened to be coming over so when he got there I wanted to show him my new bow. He picked it up, drew it back and let it go... I had owned it for about 4 hours. He had no clue what he had just done, the string was off and who knows what else. I went back to the bow shop the next day wondering how much this was going to cost me. The manager listened to my story then walked over to the rack pulled down a new bow and handed it to me and said "we're good", he earned a customer for life.

13. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a great shop man!!! I would never shop anywhere else for as long as I lived. I don't let people draw back my bow unless they have shot for a long time.

14. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    great story dren! i wont even let another person touch my bow.... and i dont ask to see other's... never have dry fired and never seen it happen, great tip about knocking an arrow first no matter what. i'll always do that now

15. Hoyt 'N' It

Hoyt 'N' It Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    doesn't get any better than that! that guy knows what keeping customers around is all about.

16. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the key. If there is an arrow nocked, ya can't dry fire it. Aim it at the recliner if ya absolutely have to draw in the house.:)

I've been around a few, I've even done it once. Arrow nock wasn't seated and at 3/4 draw the arrow popped off...perfect storm.

The dry fires that I've been around have been from absent minds. While shooting targets, they were more worried about the target and simply drew, aimed, and fired. Results were one bent cam, one cracked limb, and one frayed cable. (three bows)

17. bowhuntjoe

bowhuntjoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    GEEEWIZZ! A story like that would put anyone off drawing a bow with no arrow. bet the guys at the shop wert to happy about there bow ether !

18. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never dry fired one but, I was drawing back a friends bow to sight it in for him. The bow is set at 70. I normally shoot 65. about mid draw the "D" loop came loose. I busted my top and bottom lip at the same time. I have been hit in the mouth pretty hard in fights but there is something about punching your self that hard that will make you madder than anything. Not to mention having to go find the darn arrow. Come to find out his "best friend" was drinking and playing tie and untie the "D" loop as many times as we can before we pass out. It apparently didn't get tied back the same way he untied it the first time. Next time I see him I have a good mind to sock him a good one right in his mouth.

19. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Admittedly I've played some drinking games, but never thought to try this.

20. Treetime2757

Treetime2757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great shop, wish they had a shop like that around. I live in such a small community we only have one bow shop, he's friendly but not friendly enough to hand me a new bow if mine was dry fired lol.