What climbing stand?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by iHunt, Oct 7, 2010.

1. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I think I have convinced myself that I need a climbing stand. I have done some research and have narrowed it down to a Summit Viper SS and a Summit Razor SS. My friend has the Razor SS and he likes it pretty well, but I have heard some pretty good things about the Viper. Anyone have any input on which one I should get? Im kind of a bigger guy (6' and 230lbs), so I dont know if that makes any difference since they both have the same dimensions I think. I don't want to spend this kind of money just jumping into one blindly :lol: Thanks in advance!

2. LeadHead

LeadHead Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i have the viper and its the most comfortable stand i have. And summit stands hold to the tree, i've never had it slip on me once. Now for consideration i am only 184lbs, at 230lbs i would look into the Summit Goliath. Thats the stand my dad bought after he sat in my viper. The Goliath is basically the same stand as the viper but its bigger.

3. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Viper and love it. It is super comfortable. You should be able to fit into the Viper at 230, but I would recommend the Goliath too for a little extra room.

4. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like I can get the Goliath for around $10 more than the Viper, so I will probably try and go with the bigger one. Once I buy the stand, is there anything that is a must-have for a climber (or anything that makes using one more convenient)?

I have never even sat in any sort of climber, but I am borrowing my friends Razor SS for tomorrow afternoons hunt to try it out.

5. buckhunter1988

buckhunter1988 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    im 6'2" and weigh 220 and my viper works fine for me and it really holds the tree well. i acturally took my lone wolf climber back and went to ****s and bought the viper 2 years ago. Havnt had a problem yet.

6. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Personally on my Viper I have the Summit mat and the foot rest. I LOVE the foot rest and would highly recommend it. The mat is nice to have but isnt a must in my opinion.

7. Deerslayer7

Deerslayer7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have the goliath...im 6'3 215....and i have plenty of room...

i think any summitt is super comfortable...i know i could sit in my climber all day long..

8. Live2Draw

Live2Draw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am all on this timbertall kick... I want one in the worst way.

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You absolutely can not go wrong with any Summit stand. I made the mistake last year of switching to a LW. I hunted a whole season out of it and sent it packing afterwards. I'm back in a Summit again.

Whatever you get, do yourself a favor and get the footrest kit. It makes sitting for long periods, even all day a breeze. I've noticed over the years that my feet tend to be on the footrest more than the platform while sitting.

10. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay thanks for the responses everyone. Hopefully I get the stand ordered tonight, and I will probably order the footrest kit too. Anything to keep me in the stand longer is worth it IMO.

11. bowfisher

bowfisher Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For an extra $10 I would get also get the Goliath for the added room. Summit makes great stuff enjoy!!!

12. LeadHead

LeadHead Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good Call. I have the footrest and kicking back and putting your feet up in that stand is probably what makes it the most comfortable.

13. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I just hunted in my friends Razor SS tonight, and man it was comfortable! One other things that I plan on ordering is the backpack style straps (unless they come with the stand?). I was pleasantly surprised about how easy it was to climb the tree, although finding a tree that is climber friendly in Kansas is kind of difficult.

14. 10ptdreamer

10ptdreamer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my summit viper and would also recommend the API stands. But my viper is my number one climber.

15. Martian

Martian Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have an older viper, and it is gold, or should I say steel. If I were in the market for a new climber, I would go aluminum, mostly for the hike out

16. NovaBasser

NovaBasser Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Summit stands are the real deal! I've hunted out of a friends Viper stand last year and it was my intention to buy one for this year. I ended up buying the Switchblade which is basically a Viper that folds so that it is easier to store and carry in the woods. Its awesome! I'm 6'1" and 230 and the room really isn't an issue. I'm not sure how much extra you get with the Goliath, but one consideration I would take into account is the added weight and bulk that you will have to contend with on those long morning walks. Either way you go, you cannot go wrong with a Summit stand.

One thing I would suggest to go along with the stand is a good pair of backpack straps, and maybe a pad for your back while carrying the stand. Cabelas sells some made by the company that makes "The Claw" sling.

17. sl78928

sl78928 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i like a tree lounge with a bow adapter, i have hunted out of a tree lounge for 9 years now and i don't think i could be as comfortable in any other stand. i have carried it 2 miles into the woods several times and alot of that was up a mountain and i had no problem.

18. FreundoWIhunter

FreundoWIhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    yup i agree summit makes some great and safe stuff so i got the viper ultra....it came with the footrest but i didnt put it on, it is perfect i love the stand its easy quiet and so light and super convenient

19. luther

luther Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Razor this year, great stand, best climber I ever used. But I wish I bought the Golith. It is two inches wider on the top.I weigh two hundred pounds and I wish I had those extra two inches. I think there is a pound difference between the two. Only bad thing,it's really easy to fall asleep up there.