I know it's early

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Bowsmith

Bowsmith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cant wait 'till my exams are over then I can start getting really excited about the trip too!

Now is this a daft idea? but I like the idea of trecking out, maybe for a day, making a debris shelter and sleeping in it and hunting for my Mule Deer (if I get the tag) on the way back in.
    Do any other 'Mule deer hopefulls' fancy a bit of primitive style hunting/camping?

Oh, and im really keen to brain tan the hide (if I shoot one) and im quite happy to show anyone else how its done if they fancy making buckskin!

To add to the ailments list; I have no medical conditions that need be worried about. (phycosis, Schizophrenia and turning into a wolfman on a full moon aside)

I was thinking of putting 'markers' maybe of orange ribbon around trees at intervals to help navgation, I also think it is worth knowing the direction of your base camp and learning how to read natural signs such as the position of the sun and shadows and other natural signs to locate north or if you wear an analogue watch knowing how to read north from it (if you can see the sun) If you know what direction you had headed out in it is possible to use your watch to find your way back.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. ironranger

ironranger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Bowsmith, the thought had crossed my mind in the past about camping out overnight but have never done it. Put it this way...the higher you camp the more the altitude will get to ya. It affects everyone differently and I usually don't have an issue with it because I camp low and then hunt high. Definitely wouldn't want to attempt it the first few days. Just my opinion and there are alot of them out there!! :))

3. UKBowhunter

UKBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

LOL Martyn, I read that as WOMAN:eek:, had to go back and re-read

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  4. UKBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Brokeback stylee Dave:rolleyes: hope your not in my tent:p

5. Bowsmith

Bowsmith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ha ha, is now the time to start worrying Mark?

With me turning into a woman and Dave wanting to be a gay cowboy your going to be in for one hell of a ride!:eek:

6. Bowsmith

Bowsmith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would totally agree, can't hunt if your suffering from AMS!

Im not going to rush in and shoot the first deer I see (tag permitting) so should have hopefully acclimatised by then. Call me a wimp but im not too keen on camping out there on my own, with the Mountain Lions and chance of getting really lost or injured.

Is there going to be any 'casual' procedure that people should hunt in pairs? or is each man to his own?

7. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As confident as I am alone - I'm 100% for pairing up each day...safety #1, but also to get a chance to enjoy hunt with others.

about 6 months gentlemen...I am craving that mountain air:)

8. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm all for pairing up and not for the reasons my 2 English pervert friends think either ;) , like Matt said it breaks up the day , share the experience with others and also 4 eyes are better than 2 and you have help at hand if you get the kill . That's no reason why you cannot sit on opposite sides of a track , wallow or meadow .... it also makes the walk in and out more pleasant .

By the way Mark and Martyn , are you still coming up this weekend for the Hunt Simulator ??? .

9. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pairs or peaches Dave? either way I suppose you'll still get lost! LOL...

Nah, those who want to hunt in pairs can...no rules other than "have fun"!

Be careful Martyn, taking a deer will be a lot harder than I think you expect. You might only get one chance. Talk to Gary Rawlings about how hard they are to kill while spot and stalking.

I personally think everyone should spend several days away from camp-if you must. It'll leave more food for Rob and I to devour! I'm not sure I see a reason for it beyond that point. If someone really wants to be one with nature, follow Radio Boy. You'll end up in Kansas...or, maybe New Mexico, or....? It'll be an adventure.

10. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you have to worry too much about getting lost. Those are BIG mountains, you can't walk far enough in a day that you should be able to get lost. I've not had a problem both times out with being able to backtrack to where I put something or to a point that I was interested in. Realistically, getting lost shouldn't be too much of a concern. Getting in far enough you're not gonna have much light on your stumble back to camp....that's another story. I walked back by flashlight several times, but oddly enough, it always seemed bright enough I didn't use a light much on my way in early in the mornings.

I agree Matt, it makes fro a nicer walk in when you have someone to quietly converse with and potentially be looking for sign that you may miss or whatever. That being said, I hunted alone both times out in Colorado.

11. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    I've taken every precaution to make sure that does not happen again :)

I remember Gary thinking the same thing and he never got another chance and I also remember a statement quoted to me by a great guy ( MeanV .... Dan ) " Do not pass on anything on the first day , that you would take on the last !!!!

I'm never gonna live that down am I LOL

12. UKBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes we are both going, just gotta get my new string on the bow first, I'll either do that tonight or tomorow at the store, time dependant.

Just found out I'm on stand-by for this week, but it's a 4hr responce so at least I can still turn up:rolleyes: wether I and up staying or not is a different matter:mad:

See you two tomorrow!

13. UKBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good to catch up with the guys: Dave, Gary, Jon and Martyn!!

Just makes waiting those last 151 days a drag!!

14. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    Had a great time Mark ,the simulator made me feel a lot more confident with my longbow that's for sure and it was good to get some of the Guys together , look forward to the next round :)

15. BoneCollectorUK

BoneCollectorUK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Guys, ( Bowhunter & BailsUK)

I have just picked up the link to this thread (Colorado Elk) via British-Bowhunters forum. It really is great to see UK bowhunters flying the Flag worldwide. I recently met Nigel Sheffield of the BBA at my local Archery Club, Fleet Ibex in Surrey. Thank god i've finally found the BBA and I look forward to Helping you guys fly the UK Bowhunting flag in the Future.

Sorry if I have crashed your thread guys, but just wanted to say Hello.

Colin G. Surrey (UK)

P.S If there is room for another UK bowhunter on this seasons Colorado Elk Hunt, Im there!!
    Sorry I just had to ask.:)

16. UKBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, can't wait until the next round. I may even do a round with your other bow (Very inpressed Russ!) I sort of miss having a trad bow:eek: So when are we doing another round?

PMd ya:p

17. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    See what we can sort out for May , you can use my Bogan if you fancy the challenge :)

Hey Colin , good to have you onboard mate ...... pm'd ya

18. Frogfish

Frogfish Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like one hell of a trip y'all have planned!

Maybe next year I can join in on the fun. Plenty of time to practice until then! :)

19. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Colin, bring it! The more the merrier!

20. BoneCollectorUK

BoneCollectorUK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Iamyourhuckleberry,

Well thats a very kind offer and I think it would be very rude if I turned it down!!
    Its so great that there is a really cool group of guys and gals on bowhunting.com, its clear i have entered a world I do not want to leave.

Its really interesting that Hunters relate straight away and have the attitude as you say, "the more the merrier", maybe its because we make no excuses for who we are or what we believe in!